Find
Notify
Tools

Kundalini-Syndrome Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
quote:
What seems likely is that those who are drawn into deeper contemplative prayer become less Egoic overall. Their prayer acclimates them to non-reflective consciousness, and teaches them to live in this manner even outside the formal times of prayer. The open awareness, intuitive intelligence and detached willingness that characterizes non-reflective consciousness predominates as their normative state, with promptings from the Spirit influencing their actions through the day. They can still operate Egoically, if necessary, for life will continue to call forth times where intentional focus is required. But when the task is done, the awareness, intelligence and will invested in the Ego settles back into non-reflective openness and readiness. Such contemplatives live in the Self-God zone or ground of consciousness as their ordinary state. They have undergone deep religious conversion and so enjoy “being-in-love,” as Lonergan put it, without interruption.61

This is very good, Phil. After four years, I think I finally understand what nrc is!

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ona:
Fire of the Holy Spirit, maybe, or some other terminology? Or it is not named as a "thing" but happens nonetheless. Does anyone know?

This is from Evelyn Underhill's introduction to Richard Rolle's Fire of Love:

quote:

The "first state" of burning love to which Rolle attained when his purification was at an end, does seem to have produced in him such a psycho-physical hallucination. He makes it plain in the prologue of the Incendium that he felt, in a physical sense, the spiritual fire, truly, not imaginingly; as St. Teresa--to take a well-known historical example--felt the transverberation of the seraph's spear which pierced her heart. This form of automatism, though not perhaps very common, is well known in the history of religious experience; and many ascetic writers discuss it. Thus in that classic of spiritual common sense, "The Cloud of Unknowing," we find amongst the many delusions which may beset "young presumptuous contemplatives," "Many quaint heats and burnings in their bodily breasts"--which may sometimes indeed be the work of good angels (i.e., the physical reflection of true spiritual ardour) yet should ever be had suspect, as possible devices of the devil. Again, Walter Hilton includes in his list of mystical automatisms, and views with the same suspicion, "sensible heat, as it were fire, glowing and warming the breast." In the seventeenth century Augustine Baker, in his authoritative work on the prayer of contemplation mentions "warmth about the heart" as one of the "sensible graces," or physical sensations of religious origin, known to those who aspire to union with God. In our own day, the Carmelite nun Soeur Therese de l'Enfant-Jesus describes an experience in which she "felt herself suddenly pierced by a dart of fire." "I cannot," she says, "explain this transport, nor can any comparison express the intensity of this flame. It seemed to me that an invisible force immersed me completely in fire." Allowing for the strong probability that the form of Soeur Therese's transport was influenced by her knowledge of the life of her great namesake, we have no grounds for doubting the honesty of her report; the fact that she felt in a literal sense, though in a way hard for less ardent temperaments to understand, the burning of the divine fire. Her simple account--glossing, as it were, the declarations of the historian and the psychologist--surely gives us a hint as to the way in which we ought to read the statements of other mystics, concerning their knowledge of the "fire of love."

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ona:
(perhaps already discussed at endless length in the past)

BTW don't worry that we might have discussed a subject before. Calling e************, n**-d******, and B********* R****** "banned words" reflects my dry sense of humor. In any case, perhaps not everyone is tired of discussing them.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having said all that I can't help but thinking that if Christians speak of union with God or as Phil has put it 'seeing with God's eyes' that it is the same experience that Buddhist call 'experiencing your Buddha nature'.

I don't know how many of you know Evelyn Underhill's analysis of the mystical experiences of Christian saints and some saints of other religions. It's extremely wordy and a pain to work through but after studying this book and comparing it to my own experiences I can only agree with her that these mystical states are pretty identical. She calls the final state the 'unitive way'.

Could well be, Tara. But I think it matters how we come to that "Ground of Being" where we abide in unity. Seen from the vantage point of that unitive experience, Christian mystics would not agree with the four point summary you share above -- not without significant nuancing.

I'm really, totally, extremely, very much, absolutely (what else? Wink) OK with the notion that there are different kinds of mystical experiences to be found among the world religions. This is consistent with my belief that different ways of approaching the divine inhere from different belief systems, spiritual practices, cosmologies, and so forth. Our spiritual formation produces in us a manner of receptivity to the divine. Some pathways seem more affirming of human individuation, some not. All fine and well, and even to be expected.

But this can obviously be puzzling as well to the spiritual seeker, who must wonder if there is a pathway that is best, or most congruent with human nature and its innate yearnings for fulfillment? Somewhere in all this questions of truth must needs be on the table, for practice cannot resolve everything.
quote:
So, kundalini is not enlightenment in itself but the energy that allows us to go from short glimpses to complete stabilisation.

I think this also clarifies the argument whether you need kundalini to reach enlightenment. The answer is: for short glimpses - no, for stabilisation - yes. (oops - I used the word enlightenment again in a rather unspecific way Eeker )

I agree with you, here, and I think we share broad agreement on what we mean by "enlightenment."

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is very good, Phil. After four years, I think I finally understand what nrc is!

Holy moly! Big Grin

I'm trying to be more clear about all this in my re-write of "God, Self and Ego."

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
What seems likely is that those who are drawn into deeper contemplative prayer become less Egoic overall. Their prayer acclimates them to non-reflective consciousness, and teaches them to live in this manner even outside the formal times of prayer. The open awareness, intuitive intelligence and detached willingness that characterizes non-reflective consciousness predominates as their normative state, with promptings from the Spirit influencing their actions through the day. They can still operate Egoically, if necessary, for life will continue to call forth times where intentional focus is required. But when the task is done, the awareness, intelligence and will invested in the Ego settles back into non-reflective openness and readiness. Such contemplatives live in the Self-God zone or ground of consciousness as their ordinary state.

Can this transforming union be considered Christian enlightenment? That one experiences Jesus after He died on the cross for our sins.
Then one experiences a transformation of being in the Peace of God. Yes one can still function from place of ego, yet the pull is very strong.
towards this Peace of God.

Posts: 400 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
During Christian enlightenment can one say that they died on the cross with Jesus sharing in the suffering of Jesus. Then are
in relationship with God. The Peace of God.

Mary Sue
this is what I found in my email - why is it different on the forum? That happened before Confused
In another email you asked me why in Tibetan Buddhism there is more emphasis on happiness compared with Christianity (I can't find that forum post, either.)

In the Catholic biographies I have read virtually all saints started to share in the suffering of Christ at some point. I would see that only as natural that as your identification with Christ progresses you would want to do that.

In Tibetan Buddhism we have similar practices of taking on the suffering of others (tonglen) but the main thrust is to find within yourself an inexhaustible source of bliss and happiness that will enable you to help others in a tireless way.

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Tara, it just means that she edited the post after she submitted it. What you receive in the email is the 1st edition, not her edited one.

Mary Sue, the term "Christian enlightenment" is not a synonym for Transforming Union. CE is a term that Jim Arraj and I (and probably many others elsewhere) tossed around in reference to Christians who do Eastern practices like Zen and come to experience states of consciousness akin to descriptors of Zen enlightenment. I'm sure that others have used it to describe other kinds of experiences as well, but it's not a term that was used (at least not commonly) in the Christian mystical tradition.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KundaliniTherapist:
quote:
During Christian enlightenment can one say that they died on the cross with Jesus sharing in the suffering of Jesus. Then are
in relationship with God. The Peace of God.

Mary Sue
In the Catholic biographies I have read virtually all saints started to share in the suffering of Christ at some point. I would see that only as natural that as your identification with Christ progresses you would want to do that.

In Tibetan Buddhism we have similar practices of taking on the suffering of others (tonglen) but the main thrust is to find within yourself an inexhaustible source of bliss and happiness that will enable you to help others in a tireless way.

Hi Tara

In my above comment i was trying to understand the term Christian enlightenment.. Sorry you
were feeling confused when i changed my post.
All these years i didn't even know one could have posts set to themselves.

On another note there are some real gaps in a healthy understanding of Christian
beliefs for me. I don't believe that taking on the suffering of others is a Christian practice. Although some may be called upon, by God, to do this. I weary of this. I wondered what the belief process was that allows others to so willingly & humbly do this in their obedience to God without losing faith & love. I found some information on this today.

I worked for a while with someone i believe is a bodhisattva . If i understand you correctly you agree that the process & reason for taking on the suffering of others in Buddhism is different than Christianity.

Posts: 400 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary Sue - one way to understand the relationship to suffering is that as we progress in spiritual development we become more and more acutely aware of how our own suffering comes about - an honesty, openness and vulnerability forms, which allows us to see all the ways in which we avoid an authentic and engaged life, avoid knowing ourselves, avoid things we fear, and so on. Often the behaviors around these avoidances can be called sins: pride, lack of kindness to others, anger, and so on.

And as we start to see our own faults and avoidance games in such clarity, we start to understand how others are all trapped in the same mindset - how when others act badly, for instance, it is because they are afraid inside, and trying desperately to hide from it.

And as we see this with more and more clarity, a great deal of compassion begins to develop. We can sympathize, we understand, and we move towards understanding what it really means to "love ones neighbor" or to love unconditionally. Think of Christ on the Cross saying "Forgive them, they know not what they do." - He knew how it was for people to act out of a malice that they had no wisdom to understand, to lash out in fear at something they couldn't comprehend, that challenged their identities.

So in a strange and unexpected way, as we engage with our own suffering (anxieties, difficulties, emotional wounds, fears, etc)and come to understand ourselves more deeply, we become more and more capable of understanding divine love.

Is that helpful?

Posts: 60 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 13 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If i understand you correctly you agree that the process & reason for taking on the suffering of others in Buddhism is different than Christianity.

No, not really. In Tibetan Buddhism there is the practice of giving and taking (tonglen)where we actively and willingly take away suffering from others, take it on ourselves and send love and happiness back.

A friend of mine worked as a healer with a busy practice and this practice is how she healed numerous people - people came to her from all over the country. She had a heart-attack with 42 and died of bone cancer a few years later. Go figure!

I have heard many similar stories, only that realised masters do not die from what they take on. They somehow transform the suffering in themselves. I think having awakened kundalini helps with that.

Christ has done the same in the biggest way possible, to my understanding, and has 'died for our sins'. All the saints I have read about have been called to follow in his foot steps and join into his suffering for the sins of others. It seems to be the main way in Christianity if you go more deeply into the identification with Christ. (Correct me if I am wrong)

In Tibetan Buddhism taking on suffering for others is only one path of many. And the main thrust is to develop happiness (=enlightenment) for the sake of others.

Tara - find more help for kundalini problems on my website taraspringett.com/kundalini/kundalini-syndrome

Posts: 262 | Location: UK | Registered: 03 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil & Derek,

Great quotes. I really enjoyed them. The first from your book, Phil, makes a lot of sense and seems to reflect a continual awareness in me, at least when I turn to it, where the 'I', Ego (capital 'E' Wink), is deeply grounded in God - indeed, observation of the phenomenal world, particularly nature, leads further into the divine source or ground or Christ as a continual backdrop, and the flight of a bird, for example, is felt as an expression of the Father.

There is a notable obstacle to the continuity of this, and that's when I reconnect to the psychic source of my own particular suffering. I won't go into that but wanted to highlight that I at least, don't seem to be immune to negativity or evil, despite that contemplative resting in God, and would suggest that no one on earth, regardless of how enlightened, awakened, in loving union with God they are, is exempt or free from the suffering of the world. Perhaps though, the suffering sloughs off those who are closest to the divine. Which brings me nicely to Derek's quote from Evelyn Underhill, and in particular, the suffering and pain St Theresa experienced. Some of it she describes as a kind of sweet affliction, but I think her autobiography recounts times spent in an overwhelming hell, which possibly left her as she got older and more rooted in her union, and may have been her own particular dark night.

Suffering is just a given in the world. It's hard to know why we suffer, particularly when we are refined enough to get so close to God. Perhaps there's no end to our purification. Obviously there's often a karmic element, consequences of past mistakes. Nothing except exhaustion should stop us praying to God for relief however, but when there seems to be no end, no way out, the only recourse seems to be absolute surrender to the cross, so that not only does Christ bear the suffering of the world in his body, but we enter into his suffering and come to that peculiar verse of Paul in Colossians 1:24 -

"I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of his body, which is the church."

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
samson,

Your observation is not odd at all. Being human makes you are connected to the material world and all its advantages and disadvantages, with evil being one of them. In general, spiritual paths help us to overcome the evil side. In my experience, especially the K-energy is strong factor in dealing with this kind of "evil tendency", especially in realizing this "evil tendency" is not evil in itself, but merely an encompassable condition.

According to Tibetan Buddhism, thoughts continue to arise (i.e. you are prone to "evil" Wink ) until one achieves Buddhahood.

Posts: 20 | Location: Ouranos | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a notable obstacle to the continuity of this, and that's when I reconnect to the psychic source of my own particular suffering. I won't go into that but wanted to highlight that I at least, don't seem to be immune to negativity or evil, despite that contemplative resting in God, and would suggest that no one on earth, regardless of how enlightened, awakened, in loving union with God they are, is exempt or free from the suffering of the world.

Well, that's for sure, Stephen, though it does seem that "personal" suffering becomes reduced through the transformative process.

But are you saying, here, that "the psychic source" of your suffering robs you even of your sense of "I" as the subject/witness aspect of awareness?

posted Hide Post
No, not at all. Just that the field of energy is invaded, so a sense of God as the ground is lost, which can leave me feeling abandoned. The mind, still firmly 'I', then has to negotiate the war zone, which can be really stressful. When it leaves, God usually reemerges in wonderful ways.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post