Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enlightenment and Christian Spirituality Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mys_Dhayana,

"This is what can happen to the intellect. Without the will to keep citta calm, it gets so befuddled by the lower mind that it forgets the large framework of it's actions. All too often it ends up pursuing the wrong goals.

As a professor in India, I had always looked up to certain well-known authors, statesmen, and scientists whom the world lionized. But as meditation deepened, I began asking simply if they
had made a beneficial contribution of their lives.
Never mind if their work was brilliant; was the world a better place for their having lived? Objectivity often compelled a surprising conclusion. Many of the figures in my personal Hall of Fame climbed down from their pedestals
and said with some embarrassment, "Let us out. There must have been some mistake; we don't really
belong here." And a few came in shyly whom I had overlooked: men and women whose lives had been motivated by the desire to improve not their own lot in life, but the lots of others.

"It is the purpose of the intellect to give us a detached view of life, against which we can assess
our desires objectively. "What does this really accomplish? For whose benefit is it? At whose expense?" Unfortunately, however, we seldom train the intellect for its purpose. We never teach it to give direction to our desires, or strengthen the will to be its ally. Instead we usually cultivate the intellect for its own sake, without any regard for consequences. We bring the intellect to graduate school and tell it, "Don't worry about what to work on. Just bring your little chain saw every day and saw things up into categories for a few years." We get caught up in what we like, and the intellect goes to work. Whether anybody benefits from that work does not even enter the picture.

"If this sounds strong, please remember that the world of education is very dear to me. It is because I place a high value on what education can
and should do to enable people to live wiser, richer and more loving lives that I am so distressed by what is does instead. Look at some of the subjects the well-educated intellect chooses to study for a dissertation. "Is there a Relationship Between Ambient Temperature and Dating Preference in Urban Teenagers?" I do not deny that subjects like this can be fascinating.
But on the other hand, where is their pressing urgency? Ironically, their researchers will probably be invited all over the world to give lectures, even in countries where problems like violence or starvation cry out for attention from those who are intellectually trained or highly skilled.

In Yama's terms, real "higher education" should
teach us how to choose, how to master desires and strengthen the will, how to make the mind proof against insecurity and the body proof against all
the ailments of stress. Instead, as the president of a major university in this country remarked recently, young people still leave our colleges and universities essentially the same as when they first arrived from Battle Creek or Pinole-- the will no stronger, vision no clearer, and no better idea of how to transform anger into compassion or hatred into love."

-Eknath Easwaran

"Where there is no vision, the people perish."

-Proverbs 29:18

When I see a thousand people at someone's funeral,
and all that they did for 40 years was to go around to the prisons and gather anyone who could
listen, and some who could not, into a program of
recovery, and teach them to see and to hear and to
crawl and to walk and perhaps to run themselves,
in the general direction of light, however hopeless it may have seemed or how dismal the prospects, however rough the going or sparse the reward, then I would call that person enlightened.

When I see a society put half of its scientists into weapons manufacture, I would call that society unenlightened.

Shalom,

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spooonboy, we're obviously not on the same page. I hear you though.

Love, dhyana

Posts: 30 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mys_Dhyana:
[qb]
The experience of enlightenment is a result of the Creative Energy activating and awakening the chakra system. This is available to all humanity as an evolutionary step.

The experience and Gift that Christ brings to humanity is a separate experience and available only to those who receive His Gift. He opens the door to an organic relationship with the Holy Trinity that has never been available before. This is available with or without the activation of the chakra system. It is more of a spiritual evolution than a human one, leading one into the Divinity of Christ, the Son of God, from glory to glory, in Fellowship forever with the Eternal Trinity, and all who have received His Gift. A different path than entering into Oneness and being alone as God, returning to your true Self.
[/qb]
I'm close to being in full agreement, only I think there are also some who come to enlightenment (as I understand it) without K activation. It seems to be the human spirit awake to itself and creation prior to any acts of reflection -- a radically simplified awareness that apprehends reality directly. This consciousness is always available to us -- it's really the first movement of the human spirit, a la Longergan's teachings. So when reflection/conceptualization/evaluating, etc. is diminished, the enlightenment/awareness state become more avalable.

In some, K activation is concommitant, or even precedes the enlightenment experience. K seems to be the way all the levels of our being are attuned to accommodate the consciousness of the higher chakras. Hence, it enables a more holistic type of enlightenment.

There is lots about this on the kundalini forum; see one of the threads at the top on K and the Holy Spirit, which, as you noted, can be received with or without K activation and leads one to union with God in Christ.

Peace. Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for your response, Phil. I'm trying to reach a balance in this so that I don't feel like its tearing me in two. Its much more than an intellectual exercise.

Yes, I can see where some can experience enlightenment without a K activation. I think what I needed to know is that it IS the consciousness of the higher chakras. And that that consciousness doesn't nullify the reality of Christ and the Christian path...which is what others were trying to sell me. I wouldn't buy it. That's where your book really helped me. Smiler

I will definitely tune into the kundalini forum next.

Thank you so much.
Love, dhyana

Posts: 30 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In light of all of this, do you think it may give new meaning to the words "we'll cast our crowns before Him..."??? Wink

Love, dhyana

posted Hide Post
dhyana, monistic systems such as we so often find in the East and New Age often confound spirit and Spirit, consciousness and Christ, the soul and God. I can go along with spiritual awareness as the way our human spiritual consciousness manifests in the higher chakras, and that this need not be accompanied by K awakening. And no, this isn't what Christians mean by Christ consciousness nor the Holy Spirit. I consider these chakras and K to be part of what you might call our metaphysical anatomy and physiology -- how body, mind and spirit are "knit together," if you will.

Peace. Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, dear Phil. I am beginning to feel much more at peace about it all now. Hug.

Love, dhyana

posted Hide Post
- post deleted by Phil as it was also posted on the Christian Spirituality Issues forum under the thread, "A Christian understanding of energy systems." -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 4 | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary Sue. Good to see you posting out here again.

I'm pretty much in agreement with what you've written. If the differences between the world religions were simply a matter of semantics, then that would have become well-established in interreligious dialogue. There are fundamental differences, however, which is why we have these separate religions in the first place. We might all be relating to the One God, but we are going about that in different ways which have various consequences. E.g., if you relate to God as an impersonal Absolute -- "suchness" or "ground of being" or something like that -- you're not really open to developing an interpersonal relationship with God and might even tune out or reject any offers from the divine to do so. So, ultimately, a religious tradition does configure our manner of receptivity and openness, and that's a huge issue. It's not all the same thing, and we actually do a disservice to the various world religions by homogenizing them into a syncretism of some kind -- usually a Hinduish flavor.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
We might all be relating to the One God, but we are going about that in different ways which have various consequences. ...ultimately, a religious tradition does configure our manner of receptivity and openness, and that's a huge issue.

That’s a fascinating statement! I believe that culture structures our awareness -- and religious traditions even more so.

That, of course, does not change the underlying reality.

Perhaps a key question that we need to ask ourselves is this one, which was the central question posed by one the lecturers (in Native American Studies) at my university:

"How do you relate to your awarenesses of yourself?"

Posts: 77 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Sue:
...It just seems to me that religions & people's beliefs carry an energy and so do their prayers
and we shouldn't be mixing all this stuff up.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this. If i'm way off base in the direction i'm going i'd like to know. This lady was quite upset with me tonight when she said she'd pray for me and i responded, please don't.

Thanks so much.

Hi Mary Sue,
I think I know what you mean. There does seem to be specific energies behind different religions and beliefs that are carried by people's words/intentions. I wouldn't want somebody praying over me unless I felt their heart was in line with my view of God.

You seem to have done the right thing to say no to prayers that were not comfortable to you. Nobody is entitled to pray with us just because they want to. Imo, it's a boundary violation to pray for somebody out loud in their presence unless you are quite sure they will be comfortable with your prayers.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
Phil,

Do you mean that your friend who left Christian mysticism feels unity consciousness is compatible with or *equivalent* to the mystical union experiences associated with being a disciple of Jesus?

Enlightenment spirituality and Christ may be compatible to a certain extent, as you note early on this thread. They are certainly not equivalent, and you know my conclusion that the Love of Christ and the personal union with God which only Christ makes possible is the ultimate in the ranking wars. So here are some, semi-organized thoughts based on some of my subjective experiences comparing these two types of mysticism.

--Maybe it’s because I don’t experience Enlightenment with a capital E, in which case I might say this kind of mysticism was beyond the ways Christ is revealed to me. That may be. I certainly do not walk in an unperturbed, perpetually blissed out state of One-ness at the forefront of my awareness. We see from so many gurus who demonstrate blistering moral failures, however, in the throes of their capital E-Enlightenment that something just doesn’t add up! So I don’t think the issue is one of big E-, little e-enlightenment that some have argued as the problem with making an informed conclusion about how to rank these experiences.

--Making an idol out of Enlightenment leads to destruction. I learned: if you seek Enlightenment as God, you are dead. We are called to love Yahweh God and follow the Lamb and no other. This is a command because straying from this is dangerous. I never understood this until one fine day…

As I’ve shared before, I received a profound revelation about this issue. It happened one unforgettable, life changing moment when I sat to meditate with the casual intent to be stabilized in Samadhi (meditative state of union with God, according to Yoga). I had already come to the Lord Jesus a few months prior, but I didn’t see anything wrong with enjoying the bliss of Samadhi too. I had just sat, crossed my legs, straightened by back, took a deep breath, and…WHAM! Suddenly I felt a power strike me, like a bolt of lightning which almost physically knocked me over. I was flooded with a revelation of what I was doing. There was a kind of horror—indescribable horror--as I saw that what I was doing was profoundly wrong. It was as if the future of this path was supernaturally opened up before me. I could ‘see’ the end of my where my intentions would take me, and I shuddered with shame for making this choice. By Grace, I could see that this choice would lead to some horrible destruction and was deeply dishonoring to God. (This was not some eruption from my unconscious, nothing of the sort). It was in this moment too that I received my call to prayer. I *knew* that I was called to spend my time in prayer. I have not stopped praying since that day. At times, when I’m sitting cross-legged, I can feel Samadhi begin to creep over me as though--because of my history--I have become “yogi-fied.” A few times when that’s happened, I say, “Get out of here!” and I focus my energies on the Lamb. I pray. See, I honestly believe that in my pursuit of God as/through Enlightenment, a kind of addictive idolatry, I’ve narrowly escaped a kind of soul death.

I’m struck now looking back how it literally took the hand of God, my Teacher, for me to see this. Nothing and nobody else would have convinced stubborn me! Seems to me there was simply nothing short of God’s direct intervention that would have made me stop meditating and pursuing deeper, “stabilized” enlightenment. When I was baptized and filled with God’s own Spirit, however, I was so overcome with His Love that I was compelled to offer my body as a living sacrifice (before I knew of Romans 12:1). I knew I belonged to Jesus. And so I think this gave my Lord permission to interrupt my foolishness and end my addiction.

--- Enlightenment is no teacher; it is no friend. Expanded states of consciousness, however sublime, don’t care about you. I exist as the “Self”..OK…yeah, that’s nice, but I’m also a contracted, unique human creature who struggles with bad habits, anger, hatred, lethargy, grief, avoidance, etc. And I need to love the people God has put in my path. Ouch! There’s no way around it! Drat. Only Christ can teach me how to live in the mundane, fallen world, because He is the only Way, the author of my existence.

--I enjoy Christ’s personal Love for me and the manifold ways He relates to me. In my experiences of comparing Christ with enlightenment, Christ’s personal Love and Glory is more awesome and wonderful than seeing the “Self” in cosmic consciousness. Jesus cares personally for me through His Body of believers. What an incredible gift; sometimes He directly tells me what to do. He is my teacher and my friend. With Him, I am called to love a broken world. He calls me to think clearly, communicate effectively, walk in integrity and purity, be a good mom, go to confession when I’ve sinned, etc. I need wisdom, understanding, compassion, healing power, discipline not to eat Oreo cookies at 11 pm. “Pure subjectivity” does not help me in these regards. Even though I see the “world” as my “Self,” I’m still a creature among creatures and have to deal with that sticky problem called free will and personal responsibility.

But Christ’s Love…when this seizes me, I want to die fully to Him. A while back, I was listening to a talk by an administrator at a Christian University. He presented on the integration of Faith and teaching. There was nothing remarkable about this talk, but the speaker was clearly a sold-out Jesus freak. I was sitting there a little bored, battling a little resentment for wasting a sunny spring day indoors… then suddenly! Like a wave, the King of Glory sort of emerged from the talk/presenter. I stopped hearing the words, the room disappeared…I felt such a surge of Love and devotion flood over me. I wanted to worship, fall on my face. I gripped my chair with both hands and had to tell myself not to fall on the floor in front of all these people. I fought not to burst into tears of Holy grief for not knowing how to revere Him! Oh my God, Jesus just stepped into the room! The Kind of Glory, the Lord Creation! Jesus was honored in this talk and I could feel/see His Magnificent Presence.

These sorts of things happen again and again. So many ways the Lord of the Universe manifests Himself to me, to those who truly seek to follow Him above all else…(In John 14, it says, “Whoever really loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will reveal Myself to him…My father will love him and We will come to him and make our home with him.” ). The Love is intolerable. Like Mt said somewhere, I cry out for Him and then can’t handle the blazing Glory. His Love pulverizes, not the ego, but something deeper, I don’t know what.

--No suffering is the reward in Enlightenment. Gimme a break. When I was at the ashram, I remember meditating in one of the temples and was blown away. The air in there was literally vibrating with Shakti—a mind and body-altering energy that is worshipped in that place (as a Goddess, as kundalini, and as the Creator). I sat down, my lungs fluttered delicately with this energy, and a voice said to me, “Now you will never have to suffer again.” Ha!

I’ve shared before that after I became baptized in the Holy Spirit, the Father lifted me out of my body one night into a Heavenly realm. I couldn’t really hold on to the Glory I witnessed there, but I’ll never forget when I was being lowered back into my earthly body, I strongly resisted it knowing that I HAD to suffer. I could ‘see’ the excruciating suffering that lie ahead of me in the body. The Glory and beauty of this Heaven is like NOTHING we can know on Earth, and I distinctly recall that I did not want to return, but I knew I had to suffer. It is essential. To want to escape suffering, via the path of Enlightenment as is promised, is a colossal misstep. I’m not talking merely about neurotic suffering or the painful consequences of our sin as God’s correction and the law of love. There is another kind/level (?) of suffering which is essential to our drawing close to God. If we could clearly see this, we’d fly head-long into suffering! For brief moments, I can see why the saints say this.

--Jesus’ teachings contradict Enlightenment theology and experience. Jesus talked about the “world” as if he was separate from it! In John 16: 28, he says, “I came out from the Father and have come into the world; again, I am leaving the world and going to the Father.” Enlightened folks say you are ONE with the universe and there is no ‘out there,’ that only illusion keeps you from knowing this. That was my experience when I awakened to enlightenment while in the ashram. I could see that others *thought* they were separate, but they were asleep to this cosmic awareness. I see now that this realm of reality is not the ultimate because it contains yet another illusion: that unity consciousness is God. (w.c. writes about this as the “blind spot” in enlightenment.)

--Jesus is not revealed, understood, or glorified in Enlightenment theology or by those who espouse that enlightenment is the ultimate experience in mystical union with God.
In John 17: 3 Jesus tells us that eternal life is to know the Father, “the only true and real God and to know Him, Jesus Christ Whom You have sent.” And Jesus prayed for our union with Him and the Father (spiritual marriage) “so that the world may believe that You have sent Me” (John 17:21). Again in 17:23, He prays that we may be one with Him in order that “the world may know that You sent Me…and they may see My Glory.” Obviously, Jesus felt it important that the world know of Him as the Christ, sent by the Father, to know His Glory. To equate Christ Jesus with unity consciousness makes this teaching irrelevant. It also follows, if you believe scripture, that people who don’t glorify Jesus in their purported experiences of God, do not know Him and cannot know God.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Shasha et al, see http://www.onenessmovementflor..._Oneness_Process.htm for Mike's story. I'm not sure how similar this all is to what you described above, Shasha, as he was already quite familiar with Christian spirituality, centering prayer, charismatic renewal, the sacraments, etc. To his thinking, this is a gift of grace that is communicated through Sri Amma and Bhagavan. There is the theme of eliminating suffering that you describe above, and, so far with him, that seems to have been the case.

Anyway, check it out and see what you think. Does this all sound familiar to you? I know Michael and think he might be interested in this discussion if we have additional comment on it.

Personally, I resort to the old discernment model of an experience being:
a. helpful and of God, or
b. helpful and of nature, or
c. harmful and of nature, or
d. harmful and of evil spirit.
That all nuances things and even allows for some combinations thereof.

About the only way I can understand these oneness experiences in terms of a. would be that they are graced perspectives from the vantage point of the cosmic Christ, Who is the one through whom the universe was created, and who holds all things together.

In terms of b., we're back to our old chestnut of invoking the non-reflecting consciousness of our own human spirit, which also has a cosmic breadth in that the soul, as spiritual, embraces all of the material universe (won't that be a hoot to experience after death?). This might account for some kinds of enlightenment experiences, but I don't think it does for what Michael relates.

As for c and d, those should be easy enough to discern through the fruits and consequences of the experience. You're very clear about that in your case, Shasha, and I thank you for your generous sharing about this. What to make of all these others, like Michael, who find in this a very positive experience?

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well spoken post, Shasha.

Phil, I read the first article in the link. I'm sleepy-minded and at the end of my day here and no expert on the brain at any time. But Michael's talk of frying his parietal lobes made me wonder if his amygdala may not be fried as well. From my limited understanding and very rusty remembrance from reading about animal behavior science years ago, I think our amygdala, if too much quieted along w/ "fried" parietal lobes, might leave a person in a state such as Michael describes? I'm really, really rusty on this stuff, though. I do know, though, that we need the amygdala--inasmuch as it's often over-active, it's still a good and necessary part of us as creatures. Here's a link with a fairly long but interesting article: http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/neuro/neuronewswk.htm

Sorry I'm so sleepy...I probably shouldn't be posting when I'm like this!

The link has a reductionistic (is that even a word?) tone and I don't subscribe to that, but it does end with "But it is likely they will never resolve the greatest question of all--namely, whether our brain wiring creates God, or whether God created our brain wiring. Which you believe is, in the end, a matter of faith."

Anyway, whatever it may be that Michael is experiencing, that brand of "happiness" did not appeal to me, though I tend to be entranced by comfort and freedom from suffering. It just doesn't fit into my slowly growing understanding of what it means to accept and give real love.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An article on the "severe problems" with the Oneness Movement: http://www.enlightened-spiritu...deeksha_oneness.html

I didn't have time to read the entire article at this point, but I did skim it...to me it looks like a scam ($7,000+ and other costs for the 21 day initiation course?). But I'll read more later.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for digging out that link, Ariel. When I read Michael's story at the link Phil posted, I thought it was amazing. But then I thought, wait a minute, I've heard these kind of stories before: the spirituality that trumps all other spiritualities, the guru in India, the transmissions, and so on. Skimming your link (I also haven't read all of it!) confirms my suspicion: it's just the same old story over again.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome, Derek. I finished the article, and it's worth reading for anyone drawn to the Oneness Movement. I hate to be a muck-raker, but even more I hate to see innocent, vulnerable and hurting people sucked in. So I guess there I'm saying I have little doubt that Sri Amma and Bhagavan are greedy con-artists who have set up what appears to be a sort of pyramid scheme.

posted Hide Post
I want to be clear, too, that I don't want to be judging Michael, who I don't know but who I thought was very likable and probably mostly innocently drawn into this.

And regarding the first link (on neurotheology) I want to be clear that I believe God wired us in the first place--I don't reduce all experiences to mere events in the brain. I do wonder, though, that when someone sincerely claims sustained no-self experiences that don't jive with other aspects of reality, if perhaps they haven't physically--somewhat innocently, even--re-wired their brain in a way that feels good (or at least painless) but isn't actually a perception of reality, and isn't growth towards genuine love.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
That was a good article, Ariel. Thanks. I've made Michael aware of it, and am anxious to hear what he has to say. There are quite a few other sites critical of Bhagavan and Amma.

Sometime back we had a devotee of Amma posting on this forum; she went by Virya. I knew her from my days as a campus minister at LSU in the late 1970s, when she was active at the Catholic Student Center there. She apparently made the rounds between then and 2006, when she showed up on the forum, eager to put in a good word for TM and Amma, whom she regarded as another incarnation of God and saw no conflict between that and her Christian beliefs. As you'll see if you check out the thread, it's typical fuzzy-thinking, new-agey reasoning, which seems incapable of making the most elementary of distinctions.
- see https://shalomplace.org/eve/for...10625/m/30910395/p/1

posted Hide Post
Hi dear friends,

I'm on winter break with my boys in sunny LA, so I can't get too far into this discussion at the moment.

Phil, about Michael's story...I don't know what to say...I certainly can't judge another's experience, but it is very disturbing to me. I will have to pray about it but confess that I feel a sinking sadness the more I read...

BTW, the Amma of Oneness Movement is not the "hugging saint" Amma that you reference above in Virya's discussion. I'm pretty sure that's a different guru.

Ariel, you are quite the detective. Thanks for that article...Derek is right on: same ole story , eh?

Talk to you all later.

I'm praying God's tender love be with you.
Shasha

posted Hide Post
Pauline talked about both Amma the "hugging saint" and, in a thread I found by entering "Deeksha" in SP's "Find" function a couple of days ago, she talked at length about Bhagavan and this Amma.

I'm trying not to be envious, Shasha, here in my present 34F degrees!

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phil, about Michael's story...I don't know what to say...I certainly can't judge another's experience, but it is very disturbing to me. I will have to pray about it but confess that I feel a sinking sadness the more I read...

Shasha, he's unquestionably one happy guy these days, and he regards the oneness blessing as something of a charism or spiritual gift communicated through Bhagavan and many others. I've no interest in pursuing such an experience and strongly caution others against it, so let me be clear about that.

Here's an excerpt of an email I sent to Michael this morning. I think it's relevant to our discussion, here.

A number of years ago I slipped into an advaitic state of sorts while taking a shower, and, since then, have been able to "tune in" to this state by shifting my awareness to a non-reflecting, non-judgmental, accepting stance -- just-looking, just-being, etc. More zennish than what you describe as the sense of oneness is more impersonal. I've come to understand this to be the non-reflecting aspect of my own human spiritual consciousness -- the deep, unmoved, observational self. as opposed to the intentional Ego. It's always "there" as the backdrop of all movements of consciousness, and can grasp things directly and non-conceptually. I tried living out of this state, but found it necessary to use my reflective, conceptual consciousness as well. Eventually, I found no conflict between the two -- that my reflective consciousness poses no obstacle to tuning in to the simple awareness state, and that they both essential to being human.

I'm not sure the oneness you describe is the same as I've just mentioned; it sounds different in many ways -- almost an experience of the cosmic Word or Logos from the Word's perspective. Is this how you understand what's going on? It would seem that ongoing, intense experiences of this kind would at least implicitly de-emphasize the more "dualistic" approaches of relating to God as creature, loving the other as "other," Sacramental theology, and the human journey to individuate. In dialoguing with advaitans through the years on my discussion forum, these are tendencies I've seen again and again. Generally, they think they've moved beyond all that and have come upon the mother lode of all mystical experiences, so why bother with all that inferior stuff that reinforces "duality." They also have no use whatsoever for intellectual life and consider such knowing to have no relevance to understanding truth, serving only to reinforce the ego (a conviction which undermines any hope of self-critique, in my view). Inevitably, through dialogue, what finally gets exposed is a monstrous ego-inflation rather than a humble mysticism -- a conflation between personal subjectivity and that of the divine, which is projected everywhere! It's "I am God" all over again -- back to the snake in the Genesis garden. Maybe these folk just hadn't done their homework before coming upon the experience, but there was, eventually, no denying a nauseous arrogance and condescension once one got past the mystical fuzzies they blathered about. I think they were just immature in their integration of the experience, as mature advaitans aren't generally looking for discussion forums to use to ridicule Christians.

I think Michael will agree with most of this, so we'll see.

posted Hide Post
Michael's account suggests a dissolution of the sense of a separate self. That may be a marvelously liberating experience; what it doesn't warrant is the ontological conclusion that there is only one consciousness throughout the universe. I come back to the point I've made before: if that were really true, the consciousness would be aware of all minds simultaneously.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good point, Derek.

Phil, I appreciate your ability to be reasonable in your email to Michael, as I can't get past reacting to his articles with a gut-level sickness. I hope he's able to reply to you, or even discuss things here. (I will be respectful. And quiet...mostly.) I've tried to look at why I feel so sick about this, and I can honestly say I don't feel threatened or afraid for my beliefs--I do want to know the truth more than I want to be comfortable--but I feel sick for him. Things just don't add up.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel Jaffe:
.... Here's a link with a fairly long but interesting article: http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/neuro/neuronewswk.htm

...Anyway, whatever it may be that Michael is experiencing, that brand of "happiness" did not appeal to me, though I tend to be entranced by comfort and freedom from suffering. It just doesn't fit into my slowly growing understanding of what it means to accept and give real love.

Ariel, That is a fascinating article and relevant to what the Oneness/ enlightenment experience may well be about, not at all about the Divine, but an anatomically based alteration of consciousness.( I wonder how Michael understands his admission that his parietal lobes are "fried"?)

The article reports that brain imaging research has identified a bundle of neurons in the superior parietal lobe, nicknamed "orientation association area," as involved in the no-self/unity consciousness experience. Research suggests that this area processes information about space and time, and the orientation of the body in space. Researcher Newberg writes that the orientation area:

"determines where the body ends and the rest of the world begins. Specifically, the left orientation area creates the sensation of a physically delimited body; the right orientation area creates the sense of the physical space in which the body exists…

SELF AND NOT-SELF

The orientation area requires sensory input to do its calculus. "If you block sensory inputs to this region, as you do during the intense concentration of meditation, you prevent the brain from forming the distinction between self and not-self," says Newberg. With no information from the senses arriving, the left orientation area cannot find any boundary between the self and the world. As a result, the brain seems to have no choice but "to perceive the self as endless and intimately interwoven with everyone and everything,"

------------------------

To the extent that this last statement is literally true, one can see why enlightenment folks insist that there is no subject/object divisions, all is ONE.

This makes sense to me in terms of non-refective consciousness as it is mediated by tuning down this area of the brain in a more or less permament way in some people. And I suspect there must be something about kundalini in the brain that produces this brain change also.

In terms of Michael's journey and Christ vs. enlightenment, more on that later...