Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Myers Briggs & Enneagrams - correspond for you or not?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Myers Briggs & Enneagrams - correspond for you or not? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Uploading to the remote server in passive mode did the trick.

Damn. Nobody told me that we humans have modes. I�ve been stuck in this passive mode all my life and didn�t even know there was an active mode we could switch to. Thanks, Phil. You�ve changed my life.

Or Golda Meier?

Oh, yeah. Excellent. I was going to mention Jennifer Dunn but she�s not President yet. Wink (R-WA).

I'm around a lot of sapientine nuns with my work in Great Bend, which can only help, I think. Having spent a lot of years pretty caught up in those stage one and two attractions, this is quite a relief.

Nuns, I believe that was a compliment. Smiler LMHO [habit]

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found these statements:

1) Four levels of dreams reflect the four levels of our lives: surface "froth", normal thoughts, obsessions and themes, and archetypes.

2) The enneagram has these same levels; therefore, the two can be integrated very usefully, even profoundly.

Does anyone know what this means? In what way does the enneagram deal with froth vs thoughts vs obsessions/themes, archetyptes? I'm not sayin it doesn't -- am just fuzzy. Maybe cognitive, affective, instinctual and non-processed/unconscious?

merci,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just made up a grand unified theory in support of others' MBTI-Enneagram correlations and proposing putative neurological correlates for such dynamisms as the Enneagram Directions of Integration. If you have absolutely nothing better to do, check out myT.O.E. or Theory of Enneagram

Maybe others already did this somewhere (decades ago) but I've never been able to locate same on the web. I did see a theory involving various levels of neurotransmitters: dopamine, serotonin and norepinephrine but found it to be s-t--r---etching more than even my speculations, as to why the enneagram triads within triads exist. Eeker

pax,
jb

published 15July2002

posted Hide Post
To broaden our consideration, I now offer:
The Enneagram as Mandala
which points to possible Tibetan and Buddhist influences on the Enneagram (in addition to Sufi) --- all of re: which history is fuzzy and accounts are dubious. Notwithstanding this, the parallels are striking (and I believe due to our neurological hardwiring for transcendence ).

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
JB, you've really done some deep synthetic thinking on this topic lately. As noted on another thread, I'm playing catch-up, and so will get back to this sometime soon.

Perhaps Brad can post the "skinny" on it in the meantime? Wink

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon, mois! But doing a "skinny" on a johnboy post will ... ... [Jeepers. I'm staring at the monitor, hands fixed in paralysis on the keyboard, unable, after 20 minutes, to come up with anything that is both funny and politically correct as far as Shelodon's body types is concerned Frowner ]

What I really think we have in the enneagram, is a Ptolemaic-like system whereby some keenly-observing ancients set forth the constellations and movements of human personality development and dynamics. Their anthropocentric projections of their own hardwiring into the heavens accounted for the Divine Attributes such that the paths of Truth (left frontal lobe) and Beauty (right posterior convexity) and Goodness (left posterior convexity) and Relationship (right frontal lobe) led them to wholeness.

Problem was, they noticed, most people couldn't get on each of the paths and stay its course. This is the aspect they focused on. The rest of the system was unpacked from this approach but it didn't matter whether one started with one's primary function/path or inferior function/path, for they were obverse sides of the same coin of personality structure.

It takes most people a lifetime to build the neuronal circuitry which allows them to finally circumnavigate their own brain hemisperes to wholeness, if they accomplish the task at all. The reductionistic explanation of the enneagram thus begins by recognizing that that brain quadrant which lies physically diagonally, uncontiguously, to our primary/lead/dominant function ---represents a behavioral path we shall not often trod with success. Let's call it sin! [original, no?] That's exactly what others concluded, that the enneagram points roughly correspond to the seven capital sins (except they had to shoehorn in two more in order to make it fit).

Now, although the post-Copernican approaches do a much better job, in the final analysis, than the ancients did in charting these contellations and movements, for the average everyday Phil or Brad, the Ptolemaic explanations fairly well get the job done.

With an ectomorphic past, I remain
jb