Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From Biology to Consciousness to Morality Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now how about a nice movie review or something on this forum while you rest up? Or a comment about HSPs? Or what do you think about John Kerry, who's looking like the man to beat for the Democratic nomination?

You can view this like the K-Pax thread. Anything goes. With a topic like from biology to consciousness to morality, everything belongs.

Everything belongs. Sounds Richard Rohr-ish, eh?

OK.

1) I saw Monster, recently, but it does not lend itself to a nice movie review. It was difficult to watch but authentic. All was not well in Florida a few years ago, and I'm not talking about the election debacle. Charlize could win an Oscar though.

2) I saw Lost in Translation and what got lost on me is why Sophia Coppola won a Golden Globe for it.

3) It would be interesting to learn about HSP's and USP's, not so much as a heterogenous group that shares a trait, but moreso by different MBTI types. Anyone have info on this, then please post to that thread. IOW, I am interested on how each MBTI type would manifest/deal with their HSP trait, should it be present. I think the HSP Subculture
approach partially addresses this but I'd like more info because diagnosing HSP, alone, does not make for a program of integration, but must be used in conjunction with other insights (and that is how most therapists seem to approach it, of course).

4) John Kerry? He may be their man. He can be their man. It's too early to say he should be their man or will be their man, though we will soon enough know whether or not he will be their man. Is he their man?

5) Speaking of resting up --- is tasking me your idea of resting me up? Big Grin Besides, sometimes I stay away from others' threads so as not to ruin them with my faux Cool gravitas

But I am taking a little break --- still moving away from the philosophy and natural theology and more toward the Revealed, which, btw, I just finished with Elaine Pagel's Beyond Belief , re: Gospel of Thomas, an interesting juxtaposition of considerations of gnosticism, orthodoxy and discernment issues. She makes some points about the Holy Spirit being active in the lives of individuals rather than solely through the Church in an over-against manner, but unnecessarily so. It's as if she missed our whole teaching about non-Christian religions and even nonbelievers and how the Spirit is active in their lives and cultures. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Thanks John Boy, Are you a genius or something? ;-)
I really like that quote too.

You have a web site, did I hear? I will check it out even tho I doubt I will understand a thing you are saying. lol

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
John Boy says:

"Everything belongs. Sounds Richard Rohr-ish, eh?"

Katy says: Oh my!!!! Richard Rohr... this is really weird. Today I got my first issue of Richard's publication " Radical Grace". He is so cool. He is from my home town of Cincinnati, and I used to hear his talks, go to his masses, listen to his tapes. He started the ball rolling with (?) my mystical path.

Well, I'm in a hurry now. Hubby home any minute and supper time. Will read the rest of your post later... esp. I think I saw something about HSP.
;-)

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forty years ago, today, the lads from Liverpool changed my life. Thanks, my friends!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Don't you know it's gonna be alright - John Lennon

All may be well. All can be well. All will be well. All manner of things shall be well. And you will know that all manner of things will be well. - Julian of Norwich

So, if Julian is right, how could All is well not also be right?

I think this has a koan-like quality to it that gets resolved in much the same way that we conclude that we must pray as if everything depended on God and act as if everything depended on us . There are a gazillion nuances that need to be teased out of this consideration in order to avoid the extremes of quietism and pelagianism, n'est pas? I draw upon my Dad's wisdom though in agreeing with his saying: There's a lot more peace in this world than most people seem willing to accept.

It is also instructive to think of St. Stephen and of Therese of Lisieux, whose primary concern nearing death was that of other souls, who, in their own words and sentiments, echoed Jesus' concern: Father, forgive them; they know not what they do. Not that Therese was martyred but she did express a longing to assist the salvation of souls until the end of the world, even after her death.

So, inextricably intertwined with my declaration that It is well with my soul is the boundless longing for it to be well with all souls and that is a longing that evokes both one's need to trust deeply in the infinite mercy and justice of God as well as one's tireless effort to assist in leading all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of His mercy .

It is almost as if the War has already been won (such as when the peace treaty for the War of 1812 had been signed on Christmas Eve 1814) but battles are still be fought (such as the Battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815). It is indeed well that the strife is o'er and the War is won but it is also not at all well that some have not yet responded to this Good News. That all may be well, can be well, will be well, shall be well IS true, means that all IS well is also true, eternally. Temporally, this truth is being titrated to us from an eyedropper (and is nothing any of us have fully swallowed, yet) and the theoretical possibility of the reality of hell, even for those who cling to the hope of universal salvation (apokatastasis) should continue to make us shudder. Nonetheless, All is well , then, or even It is well with my soul still seems to be a most valid response in faith to a deep mystery that cannnot be explained by any human rational process. I think we can and should make that claim even as we desist from rationalizing why we feel justified in doing so, even as we meta-rationally point to Jesus as the reason for our hope. From a worldly perspective, it is well is nonsense, and so is the Cross , utter folly. In our heads, it seems like it could be true but we can't explain how. In our hearts, that it could be mysteriously melds into it will be , Jesus' New Testament proclamations trumping Jeremiah's OT.

It is well? Reason doesn't know.

It is well? Reason plus faith know, ineffably so.

posted Hide Post
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Read Chapter One

And don't miss, this Sunday:

I much enjoyed this book. Consider this my review.