Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Book and Movie Reviews    Dawn of the Abyss: The Spiritual Birth of Swamiji
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dawn of the Abyss: The Spiritual Birth of Swamiji Login/Join

Picture of Phil
posted
It has been my recent privilege to view this movie about Fr. Henri Le Saux (aka Swami Abhishiktananda, Swamiji), a French Benedictine who also deeply explored the mystical spirituality of India. The movie (2016, Solars Production, 56 min.) was written and directed by Fabrice Blée, who is on the faculty at St. Paul University in Ottawa. The URL for the movie is:
http://english.solarsproductions.com/

For those seeking general familiarity with Le Saux, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhishiktananda

The movie focuses primarily on Fr. Le Saux's years in India, where he formed an ashram, Shantivanaam, to better understand Indian culture that he might more effectively witness the Gospel to them. As so often happens with authentic dialogue, however, he also became strongly drawn to Hindu mystical experience. His is a journey that at once affirms what is unique in both Christianity and Hinduism and allows them to intermingle in his soul and transform him. An encounter with Sri Ramana Maharsha had an especially powerful influence on him, helping to open him to the mystical experience of advaita, sometimes called non-dual consciousness.

Fabrice Blée's telling of this spiritual pioneer's story feels more like a meditation than a documentary. Silent spaces, beautiful scenery, peaceful music and various short interviews communicate something of Abhishiktananda's deep longing for God and the environment that called and supported him on his journey. It is a movie that anyone interested in mystical spirituality and inter-religious dialogue will appreciate. Highly recommended!

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would interest me, but I don't see it on Netflix Canada or iTunes Canada, and the price to purchase the DVD is too rich for me.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, if you have a group of friends interested in this kind of topic, maybe you all could go in together?

He and I made a trade -- a couple of my books for his DVD. As DVDs go, it's very reasonably priced.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post