Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Christian Enlightenment -- a possibility worth exploring
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christian Enlightenment -- a possibility worth exploring Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many of you get my Daily Spiritual Seed ezine, but here's a quote from today's ongoing syndication of a book by Rusybroeck. Notice how different this is from the usual descriptions of "oneness" we find among today's teachers on nondual consciousness.

--------

The Adornment of the Spiritual Marriage
by St. John of Rusybroeck (1293-1381)

The enlightened person shall also mark and behold the attributes of the Father in the Godhead: how He is omnipotent Power and Might, Creator, Mover, Preserver, Beginning and End, the Origin and Being of all creatures. This the rill of grace shows to the enlightened reason in its radiance. It also shows the attributes of the Eternal Word: abysmal Wisdom and Truth, Pattern of all creatures and all life, Eternal and unchanging Rule, Seeing all things and Seeing Through all things, none of which is hidden from Him; Transillumination and Enlightenment of all saints in heaven and on earth, according to the merits of each. And even as this rill of radiance shows the distinctions between many things, so it also shows to the enlightened reason the attributes of the Holy Ghost: incomprehensible Love and Generosity, Compassion and Mercy, infinite Faithfulness and Benevolence, inconceivable Greatness, outpouring Richness, a limitless Goodness drenching through all heavenly spirits with delight, a Flame of fire which burns all things together in the Unity, a flowing Fountain, rich in all savours, according to the desire of each; the Preparation of all saints for their eternal bliss and their entrance therein, an Embrace and Penetration of the Father, the Son, and all saints in fruitive Unity. All this is observed and beheld without differentiation or division in the simple Nature of the Godhead. And according to our perception these attributes abide as Persons do, in manifold distinctions. For between might and goodness, between generosity and truth, there are, according to our perception great differences. Nevertheless all these are found in oneness and undifferentiation in the most high Nature of the Godhead. But the relations which make the personal attributes remain in eternal distinction. For the Father begets distinction. For the Father incessantly begets his Son, and Himself is unbegotten; and the Son is begotten, and cannot beget; and thus throughout eternity the Father has a Son, and the Son a Father. And these are the relations of the Father to the Son, and of the Son to the Father. And the Father and the Son breathe forth one Spirit, Who is Their common Will or Love. And this Spirit begets not, nor is He begotten; but must eternally pour forth, being breathed forth from both the Father and the Son. And these three Persons are one God and one Spirit. And all the attributes with the works which flow forth from them are common to all the Persons, for They work by virtue of Their Onefold Nature.

- Chapter 37: The second rill enlightens understanding.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see what you mean, Phil.

In this witness above, you see some of the same elements as the non-dual folks describe in enlightenment. The enlightenment folks don't speak about this vision of and intimacy with the Triune God.

Thanks for posting it here since I don't get your ezine.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading Christian Zen by William Johnston...thought it was really good and maintained a clear Christian distinction while highlighting the positive aspects of Zen and where Christian can benefit from East-West dialogue and practice.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Yes, good book, Jacques.

I had the privilege of meeting Fr. Johnston in the early 90s when he came to present a retreat at the Spiritual Life Center in Wichita. In fact, he came over to our home for supper, and we had a great visit about zen, enlightenment, kundalini and related issues. He was such a kind, meek person, who also had a very keen intellect and a deep wisdom. He passed away last year, I believe.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome that you got to meet and spend time with him Phil Smiler I was wondering whether or not he had passed away, now I know, thank you.
His autobiography looks quite interesting, think I'll purchase it at some point.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phil:

--------

The Adornment of the Spiritual Marriage
by St. John of Rusybroeck (1293-1381)

Thank you Phil for posting this. This is such a
beautifully detailed account of St. John's
Spiritual Marriage.

Posts: 400 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I've been reading some work of Thomas Merton. To me his relationship with nature
& God were so beautiful. If this is Christian Enlightenment then I feel this could be a
wonderful asset in ones journey with God.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Sure, Mary Sue. I think that some of what Merton describes -- especially from the early 60s on, when he became interested in Zen -- could be considered a good example of Christian enlightenment. His Zen and the Birds of Appetite is one of my all-time favorites.

posted Hide Post
Phil this book was found in a RC Church library.

"Mysticism and the New Age" By George A. Maloney SJ
( Jesuit priest of the Russian Byzantine Rite)

On the back cover. Everyone has heard of the occult-inspired New Age Movement. How many people have heard of the authentic, orthodox Catholic "New Age Movement" that does in reality what the other only claim to do? This book describes a Christian spirituality that restores for us the sense of God's sacred presence in all of creation. This spirituality is base on the Bible and on the Church's ancient system of Logos mysticism, taught by such figures as St. Maximus the Confessor and Teilhard de Chardin.

Father Maloney shows how the members of Christ's Body can, with God's grace, reach mystical states of consciousness and cooperate in the ongoing divine plan of creation.....

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mary Sue. I met Fr. Maloney years ago and we corresponded briefly. He wrote quite a few books on prayer and spirituality, mostly with an appreciation for the Orthodox Christian tradition, with which he was very familiar.