Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Christian Enlightenment -- a possibility worth exploring
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christian Enlightenment -- a possibility worth exploring Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It sounds like I need to read your book,
God, Self, and Ego. Smiler and I ramble too...

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
I've often wondered whether this is the same thing as the "kingdom" that Jesus talks about. I find particularly interesting one passage where Jesus tells a scribe, "You are not far from the kingdom of God" (Mark 12:34). What did Jesus mean by that? Interestingly, too, the scribe who was close to the kingdom was not even Christian -- firstly because the word "Christian" hadn't been invented yet (Acts 11:26), and secondly because he had only just met Jesus and therefore couldn't have been one of his followers.

Derek, I think the unitive way or transforming union is a foretaste of God's kingdom.

About the scribe, I believe, humbly suspect, that Jesus saw that he had clean hands and a pure heart...requirements for "climbing the mountain of God, standing in His Holy place" (Psalm 24)...God's kingdom....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
I do resonate with your description of "the observer looking out from all of creation."

That was the way it was for me when I had that "awakening" experience back in March. The mountains and the trees and the sky were me looking back at me.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, has that awakening experience persisted? Can you still "tune in," as it were, to that kind of awareness?

The understanding of the human spirit I've come to through the writings of Lonergan and his student, Daniel Helminiak, have helped me to see that our own, natural non-reflecting, pre-conceptual awareness, is able to come to a deep sense of the interconnectedness and "oneness" of creation. This seems to be what many descriptions of enlightenment are about, and the ascetical methods associated with this kind of experience usually seem to be about disempowering reflective consciousness and, concomitantly, shifting awareness to a pre-reflective stance. We hear the admonition to "just-look," or "just-be," without thinking, judging or evaluating (i.e., without engaging one's reflective powers). As the soul itself is spiritual in nature and, hence, its awareness as well, it follows that such pre-reflective attentiveness is capable of perceiving reality at a depth that transcends matter and time. Not completely, of course, for we are still anchored in the body, but to a considerable degree. I don't think this gives the sense of creation "looking back," however, nor does it lead to a perception of a deep love pervading all of reality. Those kinds of experiences seem to go beyond what our own human awareness can achieve on its own, and so they suggest to me a movement of graced communication from the divine. That's how and why I came to think of some of my own enlightenment type experiences as being in touch with the cosmic Christ; I'm sure my faith contributed to this perception as well. But I have also known the enlightenment that comes via our own human pre-reflective attention, and I think the kundalini process supports this kind of consciousness. It's not a bad thing; after awhile, one can learn to tune into it and simply enjoy the wonder and beauty of "what is," or, more precisely, "that things are." It is this "that-ness" that stands out mores than the "whatness" of the things perceived. It's a short step from there to perceiving the "that-ness" as the "Who-ness" of God, but I do not think we can do anything to make that shift. It is a gift from God.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did go through a period where I could flip into that pure awareness at will, but now I'm back in ordinary egoic consciousness almost all the time. I've found Michael Washburn's model helpful in making sense of what happened.

During the period when this awareness was spontaneous, I had a quite different perspective on things. It seemed to me that everything was grace. So while you differentiate between "what our own human awareness can achieve on its own" and "graced communication from the divine," my perspective at that time was that it was all grace.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Derek and Phil--

All very fascinating!

Thank you for adding more to my wonderings.

I'm praying to our Father to grant us wisdom concerning our experiences.

God's love,
Shasha

posted Hide Post
quote:
but when one presses further, it does seem that some of what's being described could well be the experience of Christ in his cosmic aspect (rather than personal, relational presence to us).

Phil, I'd be really interested in hearing how you relate this to the history of spiritual experiences. For some time I've been reflecting on how things changed through the incarnation, crucifixion, ascension and the outpouring of the Spirit on all flesh.

The reflection has drawn me into two areas.

1) Judaism - how did faithful Israelites experience God before and after Christ.

2) Hindus/Buddhists/Animists etc. - How did faithful God seekers experience God before and after Christ.

We believe that Christ changed human reality at a metaphysical level, surely this would have lead to a change in the religious experience of mankind at the same time.

Thus, would the experience of enlightenment have changed for Hindus (and others) before and after the time of Christ? Or is the experience of enlightenment an experience of Christ as He has always been, prior to the incarnation and after?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Jacques, Shasha and others. Here's a relevant section from my book, God, Self and Ego.
quote:
Throughout this discussion on facilitating knowledge of the Self- God union, we have been more concerned with coming to the direct experience of Self, rather than addressing the issue of facilitating a deepening union between Self and God—as between Ego and God. Whether anything can be done to affect the manner of union between Self and God is an interesting question, but one which we shall reflect on here only briefly. On the one hand, we have already affirmed the presence of a natural, or existential union between God and Self. We have also suggested that Self is non-intentional, which would seem to mitigate against deepening union between God and Self. Nevertheless, the Incarnation has established a new relationship between humanity and God. Three possible relationships between Christ and Self suggest themselves:

1. Because of the fundamental unity of the human species, we can minimally affirm that the consciousness of Christ is present in Self, and to awaken to Self is to experience something of his consciousness, even if this is not recognized. In this situation, it is possible that the Ego-Christ relationship effects a transformation at the level of Self through grace. As the Ego becomes increasingly identified with Christ, its ground in Self becomes correspondingly transformed into the consciousness of Christ. If this is the case, then a transformation in the Self- God union can be effected through the Ego-God relationship. What is suggested here is a spirituality of “becoming Christ” through grace—a very familiar paradigm for most Christians. 

2. It may well be, however, that in “becoming sin” through empathic love, Christ became completely identified with all individuals, and thus bonded completely with the human condition as Self. By rising from the dead and ascending to heaven, he would have thus taken Self into his own consciousness, in which case he would not be merely present in Self as another human being, but henceforth present to the human race as Self. Christ as Self: the interface between the human and divine! If this is the truth, then Ego is an individual expression of Christ, and the phrase, “What you do to one another, you do to me” takes on new poignancy.

3. This possibility would be the same as no. 2, but would be applied only to baptized Christians, rather than to the whole human race. St. Paul suggests this when he writes, “You have been buried with him, when you were baptized; and by baptism, too, you have been raised up with him through your belief in the power of God who raised him from the dead. . . because you have died, the life you now have is hidden with Christ in God. But when Christ is revealed—and he is your life—you too will be revealed in all your glory with him (Col. 2: 12, 3: 3-4).”67

In any case, the spiritual work called for is the same, only one’s understanding of grace and transformation is shifted from a perspective of “becoming Christ” to “realizing the Christ ‘that I am.’” In the context of this present discussion on facilitating the Self-God union, the first Christology would tend to de-emphasize direct experience of Self, while the second and third would strongly emphasize this—especially for the baptized. My own sympathies are more with the first Christology, but further reflection on the many implications of this view would take us too far afield from the primary focus of this work. Nevertheless, the relationship between theology and spiritual practice ought to be obvious from this brief digression.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, so by "Self" you mean the dynamic ground of consciousness, out of which Ego emerges, firstly in a preverbal form and then later in a symbolic, verbal form?

My reading of Michael Washburn's book, coupled with my own experience, is that the Ego as the social self is simply a developmental stage.

What disappears in middle life is the belief that Ego = Self.

Assuming that the personality is solidly formed by this stage, the social self remains, except that it is no longer driven by the fuel of identification with the larger Self.

I equate this new way of life with being "born again" (John 3:3). The Self is no longer identified with the utterly sinful and selfish Ego.

It does seem in some passages that the Christ being referred to is the universal Self, e.g., "When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory" Colossians 3:4).

Anyone care to ramble some more? Smiler

posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, will reflect some more on what you've shared here Smiler

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I see how that piece is highly relevant to these last few questions. I think I need to read your whole book, however, to get a better grasp of these proposed 'models.' Very fascinating, deep mysteries, but worthy to explore in order to be honest about how to understand our experiences and begin to understand others'.
Smiler

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
My reading of Michael Washburn's book, coupled with my own experience, is that the Ego as the social self is simply a developmental stage.

What disappears in middle life is the belief that Ego = Self.

Assuming that the personality is solidly formed by this stage, the social self remains, except that it is no longer driven by the fuel of identification with the larger Self.

Yes, Derek, I can go along with an equivocation between Washburn's idea of "Dynamic Ground" and Self as I have written about it in God, Self and Ego and other places. Michael and I enjoyed several fruitful exchanges when I was writing the kundalini book and for some time thereafter. Check out http://shalomplace.com/res/ground.html which is in the K book and influenced by Washburn.

Those of you who are interested might also check out http://shalomplace.com/view/godselfego.html which has a few excerpts from God, Self and Ego, most notably the summary of Part One, in which these terms are concisely defined in relation to each other.

posted Hide Post
Enlightenment discussions abound these days.

Yet, whatever, whatever, whatever nondual awareness / consciousness / enlightenment brings one’s way, it cannot undo the fullness and validity of what has already been objectively given us (as Christians) via Christ and the Holy Spirit.

And of course, the Holy Spirit today, regardless of humanity’s ‘meme of the moment’ -- and whatever color that might be for you -- does not contradict Himself, or render obsolete or dismissible His previous revelation.

So, relative to enlightenment discussions, as the song goes: “You can dance, go and carry on till the night is gone; go and have your fun – but don’t forget who’s taking you home and in whose arms you’re gonna be, and save the last dance for Me…..…etc etc…. when it’s time to go you must tell him: No. And save the last dance for Me.”

There’s no getting around the fact that Christian scriptures are decidedly dual – and are NOT nondual.

They speak :
of God as distinct from man.
of creator as distinct from creature
of supernature as distinct from nature
of angels as distinct from devils
of obedience as distinct from rebellion
of heaven as distinct from hell.
of humility as distinct from pride
of ‘Be it done unto me according to Thy word’ as distinct from ‘I will not serve’
of sheep as distinct from goats
of wheat as distinct from tares
of true (obedient) disciples as distinct from those who will say: ‘But Lord, Lord…. (lol)… I was
yellow-meme and integrated in your name’
of a parousia with a judgment as distinct from some nondual -- and as yet non-revealed -- theory.
of millstones for some as distinct from for all.
of Jesus Christ at whose name every knee will bow – the stumbling block
of His ‘right from the get-go of childbirth’ being pursued for slaughter.

and despite the contemporary focus on ‘ the fundamental unity of the human species, its interconnectedness and oneness’, scriptures speak of man rejecting light and loving darkness rather than the light because his deeds are wicked. And they speak of an adversary that endeavors to capitalize on our lack of interconnectedness and lack of unity.

Now, while it is true that God is beyond our conceptualizations and intellects, and that apophatic prayer and its supernatural mysticism aids our communion with God through devotional love and God-imparted knowledge, it is nonetheless true that God does NOT contradict Himself, nor dismiss His already given and objective revelation

Actually, precisely because God is beyond man’s conceptualizing, God became incarnate and gifted us with non self-evident revelation and the Holy Spirit as well; so that we would have within our grasp (our intellect’s grasp) essential knowledge requisite to our salvation as a minimum.

The scriptural truths of Christian revelation are well within our conceptualizing ability – our understanding, and reveal to us truths that are non contradictable and non dismissible. (Non dismissible despite one’s generation, meme-color or culture.)

Christian scripture, i.e. scripture for a Christian anyway, embodies all of the above duality; all the above reality; all the above truth – none of which is dismissible. Millstones would apply.

Relative to the ‘enlightenment’ discussions of the present day on many websites – the following scripture works for me: Sirach 3: 22 & 23 – ‘when shown things beyond human understanding, their own opinion has misled many, and false reasoning unbalanced their judgment.’

Christian mystics and saints, despite nondual experiences did not abandon the objective revelation of scripture and the teachings of the church. In fact, they tested themselves using objective revelation. They did NOT dismiss scripture and tradition. They remained dual in their knowledge of God and relationship with God, and in humility.

Much of (if not most of) today’s ‘enlightenment’ discourse on the websites of the world betrays authentic Christian truth – and lures Christians into following non-Christian thought.

As for the talk of fundamental unity of the human species, our interconnectedness and the oneness of creation – it seems to me a mirage -- something one thirsts to see, not something that is. There is a difference between a fundamental ‘commonality’ and a fundamental unity.

Unity involves the will, involves agreement.

As the scripture states: ‘Can two walk together unless they are agreed?’

Watch the evening news sometime. Fundamental unity evident? Personally, I don’t see it. And I doubt that I would see it were I ‘enlightened’.

I hope I would be more loving if enlightened – but certainly wouldn’t think I would be more foolish. That seems contrary to being enlightened.

Oddly, scripture says in the end times there will be less and less fundamental unity, and actually an increase in lawlessness – IF you can believe scripture of course, and the enlightened fellow who described the ‘end times’ when asked to by His disciples. BTW, who do you say that fellow is?

My ex and I had a heated and vibrant dinner conversation with our son this week. I loved it. He naturally took the role of a different meme-color. Being color blind I forget which. He argued forcefully even pleadingly with us -- essentially told us that we were whacked (I recalled ‘feist’ by another firebrand) and that all the members of his generation would never be able to accept where we were coming from and the RC church. He argued that we needed to sell the Gospel in a form that was palatable to his generation; needed to behave like a businessman trying to attract customers (I recalled some Shalom Place discussion re optimizing our evangelization via understanding worldviews). It was great. Food was good too.

He nodded readily when I asked him if he thought Christ knew human nature well and knew his audience; when I asked if Christ would have been a masterful, even perhaps perfect, communicator; was an expert’s expert with respect to communicating – using storied examples, parables, healings, miracles and exorcisms to underscore his message, and certainly better than folk of my generation (meme color). His eyes opened a bit when I asked whether the Lord’s optimally perfect communication techniques and message were accepted and well received by all His listeners.

(Perhaps Christ wasn’t aware of man’s fundamental unity and interconnectedness and the oneness of all creation, though. Maybe He hadn’t as yet mastered nondual enlightenment -- though you would think his forty days of temptation in the desert should have addressed that).

There is, assuredly, a certain validity to endeavoring to make the gospel easily understood; and to evangelizing people by being ‘all things to all men’ and knowing where they are coming from. Nevertheless, there is also, unfortunately, a spirit resident in many that betrays a ‘God having to dance for man’ -- that God somehow needs to make Himself palatable to us -- to sell Himself -- so He can be accepted on our terms!

Mk 8:12 -- ‘With a sigh FROM THE DEPTHS OF HIS SPIRIT he said, “Why does this age seek a sign? I assure you, no sign will be given it!”

Pop-pop (blue-meme clan)

p.s. “You can dance, go and carry on till the night is gone; go and have your fun – but don’t forget: who’s …………… coming again.” Maranatha!

Posts: 465 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, MT

If possible could you please comment on an experience I had, based on your understanding of ego, self, & God, & I AM of the Christan journey. This would be very helpful for me to experientially understand what you are saying .

I was meditating saying Beloved Jesus, as I had done for years, when I experienced a profound sense of sacredness. The sense of sacredness was so strong I felt I should remove my shoes as I entered my Inner Heart. There was no fear. At first this place looked black & empty. But then I realised that this place was not empty. It was full of everything and this was God.

From what I'm hearing you say Phil, this may have been an experience of I AM. Yet I'm unclear about this as God was experienced as a blackness where everything was which sounds a bit like enlightenment type experience.

A few days after this there was a terrifying experience that I now see
as the potential for healing a memory that would have been in my
genetic unconscious. This type of thing has occurred several times
in my life. A re- experience of a traumatic event, from another time
comes to the surface. My Christian spiritual direcor at the time had no explanation & I went to the East to get an understanding.

Thank you very much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Sue,

Posts: 400 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mt:
Apropos enlightenment:

On the other hand, we have Zen and Taoist, and advaitist practices which lead us up, but disable us to go down and use concepts again. For a Zen master concepts are an obstacle to enlightenment, discourse is a "head-trip", propositions are "dualistic" and so on. An adept of Zen is trained in avoiding concepts to a degree that s/he is convinced that they have no metaphysical meaning, only practical. "

Thank you MT for sharing your understanding of
this issue. It's been a great assistance to me in understanding what happened to me when I went to the East. I had felt like my foundation was gone. A no going back as you
said.

MT
"The question is whether what Plato, Plotinus and Aquinas write about is actually the same enlightenment that Dogen and Bankei describe. Zen people will say it's "imperfect" because there's still conceptual thinking. But it doesn't matter, be it imperfect. The loss of the ability to think about God and ourselves in concepts is a price that Christians cannot pay for any enlightenment, because it's extremely difficult to relate to God if we can't think.

I have no idea how to achieve enlightenment through discursive meditation, although sometimes when I read Western philosophers I experience enlightenment by means of their discourse. I think we have to invent a middle way for Christian enlightenment, between traditional dialectic (which isn't a living tradition anymore) and Zen-type meditation. Available practices:

- Assagioli
- sitting in silence, following the breath, 20 minutes a day
- contemplation of Nature or religious art/architecture
- repeating "Jesus prayer"

Being attentive is, of course, the key. All those provide an experience of inner quietude, which is very good, even if the person never attains to full enlightenment.

At the same time, this person should be conscious that it's not a prayer, natural or supernatural, but a different, non-relational practice. This practice should be done with an intention to overcome sin, serve God better, open to his grace etc. If experiences of non-dual consciousness come, the person should know that it's not a mystical knowledge of the Trinity, but oneness with everything that exists in the Existent One. One should thank God for this experience, but recognize it is of the natural order.

Maybe we would need a language to speak about such experiences, that is less dependent on writers like Wilber, Tolle or others with mainly Buddhist framework. For example, we shouldn't use B. Roberts' notion of "no-self" or her strange idea that the Trinity is the oneness of the seer, the seen and the seeing itself, but some of her terminology is fine with me - like "That Which Is" or knowledge "that God IS everywhere".

Those who feel attracted to such practice should be very careful not to neglect the eucharist and confession, lectio divina or some other active prayer. And not think that lectio is a lesser practice than sitting in silence, because we use concepts or images, or affects. However, proportions are an individual matter. There might be times when a call to silence is more powerful and more time will be spent in it. A balance should be maintained.

I suppose the minority of Christians would be interested in that. Not everyone is inclined to sit in silence, some people just don't seem carved for this. But it'd not be easy to get to those Christians, to compete with so many spiritual authors that are influenced by Buddhism or Hinduism, sometimes powerful personalities. And leaders like Keating, Freeman, Rohr, Barnhardt are already not clear about what is enlightenment in Christian spirituality.

posted Hide Post
The proposition that God is initially seen as a darkness or unknowing is widely reported by Christian mystics, beginning with Dionysius the Pseudo-Areopagite and continuing on through St. John of the Cross. However, this darkness or unknowing is only an initial impression. Bernadette Roberts writes:

quote:
One possible way of envisioning the human passage is the following. We think of ourselves as originally emerging from the unknown, from darkness, nothingness or non-existence into the light of consciousness. But as consciousness develops we discover the increasing ability to see in the dark, see into the nothingness or mystery within ourselves and eventually realize that this darkness and nothingness is the divine from which we emerged and with which we are one. Thus we discover that our original darkness IS true light. Midway in this passage, divine light (darkness or unknowing) and the light of consciousness are in balance, with neither outshining the other. But as we move beyond this mid-point, divine light begins to outshine the light of consciousness until, in the end, the light of consciousness goes out and only divine light remains. From this vantage point we look back on the passage and see that although consciousness was the veil that dimmed the light, this dimming was necessary in order to make the human dimension possible. But if consciousness makes human existence possible, it is also not separate from the divine, nor does it completely hide it; on the contrary, consciousness or self is man's faculty or medium for experiencing the divine -- so long as it remains, that is. Our passage through consciousness is the gradual return to the divine; we leave the divine unknowingly and in darkness, but we return knowingly and in light.

Bernadette Roberts, What Is Self? A Study of the Spiritual Journey in Terms of Consciousness (Boulder, Colo.: Sentient Publications, 2005), p. 55.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Mary Sue, I see that you've found some guidance in Mt.'s posts and there's Derek's as well. It does sound like you've come upon a profound and beautiful experience of God, much along the lines of what our Christian apophatic mystical tradition has given witness to (BR is certainly out of that mold): God as emptiness, darkness, void, obscure presence, etc., all of the above. It may be that one's emotions aren't stimulated as in other kinds of mystical experiences, yet there can also be an undeniable sense of having been in the presence of the sacred. Generally, the response we feel moved to make is simply to abide there in silence . . . until we begin to think about what's just happened, and that's usually the end of it (which is OK). From what you've shared, this sounds more like a theistic mystical experience than enlightenment, which is usually more of an aesthetic and/or metaphysical experience.

Too bad your spiritual director couldn't just validate your experience. Sometimes it is difficult to "categorize" such, but you can always recognize and affirm what the other has said and then reflect together on the difference it's made in your life.

posted Hide Post
Derek thank you so much for your reply. I plan to look into some of the authors you have expressed. Especially St. John of the Cross.

quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
The proposition that God is initially seen as a darkness or unknowing is widely reported by Christian mystics, beginning with Dionysius the Pseudo-Areopagite and continuing on through St. John of the Cross. However, this darkness or unknowing is only an initial impression. Bernadette Roberts writes:

posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Phil for your comments.
This has been very helpful for me to comprehend what you and others are talking about.

My Eastern experiences of Enlightenment( not Zen), are definately not the same as the Christian mystical ones.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mt:
cut... Have I regressed? Am I "lower" now than four years ago? It doesn't feel like it. I no longer practice Zen, and I don't know how it would be assessed by a Zen master, but I don't care.

cut

I tell this story, because I'm quite sure that my experience of the emptiness of concepts from 2006 would've been less excruciating if I understood the nature of this experience in a Christian context.

" I was thinking that this non-dual light was a higher degree of contemplation, like Father Keating and others taught, but I felt cheated and angry, because there was no Jesus and no God in this "higher contemplation". What I did wrong? - I was asking myself. I did nothing wrong, but I couldn't use advice at this time, because my mind was so conditioned by non-dual ideas (what a paradox...) that I couldn't even read James Arraj "God, Zen and the Intuition of Being" without irritation and headache (the headache was more from kundalini, too much conceptual thinking).

Your post MT brought tears today.

For me I experienced Jesus die within me. And like you experienced, was told this was considered a higher form of Being called Self Realized or God Realized by some. This was a place of great peace & a great equanimity in my body. I experienced everything/everyone as being within my body at times.

But surely God meant for us to experience peace & equanimity without losing Him. What had I done wrong. What happened.
As with you it was very difficult to take
advice, to understand what others were saying
in the examples of their own journeys.

For several years I could not say Christian words without intense disruption in my energy.
The nightmares, anxiety, stress, fear in returning to Christianity has been incredible. I still can't think too much. It's like an overload on my system. Being able to remember is slowly returning.

In more recent months I have bit by bit been
able to express Christian words. In the past month Jesus is again with me and I understand that this has been a grace from God. last
night I was able to read Christian mystical readings again and it brought such joy to my
Heart.

I do not experience the great peace & equanimity
as in this other state & miss it. But it came with a huge price that I didn't want to pay. I was unable to love God. I was
unable to experience God as I had known Him as
a Christian. I couldn't think clearly, remember things, learn new things, was in a detached state. This was not my intent when I went to the East. I was looking for answers
why certain aspects of my journey did not seem
to fit into what was considered Christian
journey.

This form of self-reaalization does not seem
to be as compatible with Christianity as
Zen. Yet a form of this was surfacing for me.
Had there been a Christian understanding of this particular underlying enlightenment the
outcome may have been more compatible. I don't know.

I really appreciate you exploring the issue of Christian Enlightenment Phil.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a powerful healing process leading to deeper integration is unfolding in your life, Mary Sue. I hope Mt makes a round and reads your sharing. He tends to hop on and off this train, at times. Smiler

Peace, Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, I'd like to go back to your initial post.

Just a few thoughts & concerns that have arisen for me. There seems to me to be a permanent, perhaps some form of biological change that can come with Enlightenment. The deeper the state of Enlightenment/
more time spent in this state I believe the deeper
the changes. However I must say I am not familiar
with Zen Buddhist techniques so can not speak from this knowledge.

Through many centuries the Eastern Spiritual
belief systems have been molding the minds of their
followers. Since Enlightenment has not really been the
purpose of the Christian journey how do we know how
a particular form of Eastern or a Christian form of meditation/practice is going to affect the Western mind & one's relationship with God.

What safe guards can be put in place so one doesn't
end up in the state BR finds herself?

Something is trying to come to the surface for me
and it has to do with something about the difference in the Eastern mind & Christian mind. Our religious
practices are geared towards and have developed our
minds in different ways perhaps.

+++++

Phil "The question was asked whether Christians could be taught to seek enlightenment as understood in traditions like Zen, and some of the positive and negative aspects were mentioned.

I do believe this is possible, as did Jim Arraj, but one must know what one is doing and avoid in every way conflating the divine presence with one's own non-reflecting consciousness.
- see https://shalomplace.org/eve/for...72410135/m/241106781

- - -

A local Mennonite pastor has become very enamored of the possibility of a Christian enlightenment experience and has developed a meditative process to help people get in touch with their human, spiritual non-reflective consciousness. It's based on Assagioli's psychosynthesis approach and goes like this:

1. Begin with 2-3 minutes of meditation on the breath.
2. Slowly recite the following to yourself. Try to realize as visidly as possible the import of each statement (repeat several times).

a. I have a body, but I am not my body. I can see and feel my body, and what can be seen and felt is not the true Seer. My body may be tired or excited, sick or healthy, heavy or light, but that has nothing to do with my inner Self or Spirit. I have a body, but I am not my body.
b. I have desires, but I am not my desires. I can know my desires, and what can be known is not the true Knower. Desires come and go, floating through my awareness, but they do not affect my inner Self or Spirit. I have desires, but I am not desires.
c. I have emotions, but I am not my emotions. I can feel and sense my emotions, and what can be felt and sensed is not the true Feeler. Emotions pass through me, but they do not affect my inner Self or Spirit. I have emotions, but I am not emotions.
d. I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts. I can know and intuit my thoughts, and what can be known is not the true Knower. Thoughts come to me and thoughts leave me, but they do not affect my inner Self or Spirit. I have thoughts, but I am not my thoughts.

3. Affirm. I am what remains, a center of awareness, a self or spirit that witnesses to these thoughts, emotions, feelings and desires.

------

Anyone can do this and benefit from the exercise in many ways. Just so one understands that this "center of awareness" that remains is one's own self and not God, there should be no problem. Of course, it also needs be said that we do have a reflecting consciousness that thinks, feels, desires and acts; these activities of consciousness belong to us as well and we are responsible for them and how we work with them. That's all vitally important in the spiritual life.

posted Hide Post
I see now that this is a personal issue for me. My issue stems from mixing
words & modified practices between religions.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Mary Sue, say more about that, as I think that's often what happens with many in discussions about this topic.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, Mary Sue, and glad to hear that you're finding benefit from spiritual direction. It's also not too surprising to hear that evil spirits were attempting to separate you from Christ. They like nothing better. And, yes, this can indeed happen with zen practitioners who aren't careful about what they're doing, and why. If the attention turns too much to doing the practice to the neglect of Christian spiritual disciplines, problems can arise. It seems that systems with gurus, yogis, masters and what-not are more susceptible to diabolical influence, however.