ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Contemplative Practice Support    B. Introductions and Gathering Space
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B. Introductions and Gathering Space Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I believe a contemplative life is not limited to the "time" that you are in quiet, meditating, or the moment(s) or awareness of the Lord or just "being". Yes, we need quiet to experience these moments. However, I do believe we can also experience this "moment" or awareness even when we are active. When I give an injection, I can "just be" because at that moment, God..is.

Posts: 5 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey.
I'm AJ
I'm an egocentric Christian
A paradox
I'm here to be touched by You, by Your saying "I am of the belief that the body of Christ is one body, not divided along any kind of denominational lines"
I'm here to learn, once again, how awkward I feel at introductions and, hopefully, how to be open to God.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an egocentric Christian
A paradox
I'm here to be touched by You, by Your saying "I am of the belief that the body of Christ is one body, not divided along any kind of denominational lines"
I'm here to learn, once again, how awkward I feel at introductions and, hopefully, how to be open to God.

============
AJ - Your intials match those of my favorite sister! But I won't know you unless you do introduce yourself. Or have I mistaken your meaning?

I heartily agree that the Body of Christ is one body. It is we who are the members of that Body who have created the denominational divisions. In 1 Corinthians 12 the Apostle Paul gives us a scriptural affirmation of this. And the antidote to our divisiveness he gives in the very next chapter, 1 Cor. 13.

It seems to me that when we work at faith, hope and love, especially love for God and neighbor, we will come to a much deeper awareness of God.

BTW, would you care to elaborate what you mean by "an egocentric Christian?" I am not sure I really understand that paradox.

Posts: 25 | Location: Oakville, ON Canada | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Shearman:
[qb]"would you care to elaborate what you mean by 'an egocentric Christian?' I am not sure I really understand that paradox."[/qb]
Thanks for asking...I had to make sure that I used the correct word...so I looked up paradox: a seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true. My understanding about being a Christian is to be focused on others instead of self (Love God with your whole heart mind soul. Love others as yourself.) Focused on self (egocentric) is a contradiction of this understanding. Nonetheless I believe Christ is and therefore introduce myself as a Christian. Thus the paradox.

aj

Posts: 6 | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aj wrote:

"My understanding about being a Christian is to be focused on others instead of self (Love God with your whole heart mind soul. Love others as yourself.) Focused on self (egocentric) is a contradiction of this understanding. Nonetheless I believe Christ is and therefore introduce myself as a Christian. Thus the paradox."

Hi aj and welcome!

I think that to "Love others as yourself" means to love others and to love yourself AS WELL. I don't think that it means to love others MORE THAN yourself or to love others INSTEAD OF yourself or to love others at the EXPENSE OF yourself.

Also, I think that there is a difference between "loving" and "focusing on."

By loving ourselves we are able to embrace and celebrate the gift of life that we have been given. To NOT love ourselves is to reject that gift.

(Sorry Phil...I know I'm not supposed to start discussion on this "Intro" thread...but you know I have a real hang up with that "put yourself last" business so I HAD Wink to speak up!!)

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(Sorry Phil...I know I'm not supposed to start discussion on this "Intro" thread...but you know I have a real hang up with that "put yourself last" business so I HAD [Wink] to speak up!!)

LOL! Well, I've surrendered to the inevitable, Anne, and have decided to just never-mind that suggestion. Perhaps I should rename this thread the "Gathering Space" or something. Coffee and donuts are on the back table. Big Grin

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I began meditating in 1967 with a method taught to me by a Christian Brother, as a Junior at a Catholic boarding school I went to then (I was not catholic). I had asked him to teach me how to meditate.

Naturally, I was curious, having read Tielhard de Chardin, Hesse, Huxley by that time. The method he taught was what he called a 'stream of consciousness' method, (very similar to TM and Centering Prayer) which began with a central thought allowing one's consciousness to naturally take it's course, but returning to the central thought or word once the 'mind/consciousness' realized it had drifted. It might have been the Centering Prayer... but he never called it that.

It was profound. But I still needed to explore, so I began studying and practicing eastern methods within the year. By the time I was 19 I was teaching meditation and pranayama. I got initiated in TM in 1974 (was Episcopal at the time). Began reading St. John of the Cross, the Philokalia, and the Way of the Pilgrim a few years later, as I was still looking for 'depth' in contemplation....

Basically, I was trying to resolve my Christianity and contemplative practices - mostly seemed to be eastern... and since I had not been raised catholic or had any exposure to it really, I was switching around trying to make it all fit.

To make a very long story short of my searches and studies, I converted to Catholocism in 1996. I began the Centering Prayer while on a project in Denver this year. I learned it from Sister Bernadette at the Center for Contemplative Living in Denver. I have since read the Cloud of Unknowing, which is simply superb.

This full circle return to my beginning method with a resolved, and fuller understanding of the mystical side of Christianity was to say the least profound.

I too have built a forum to do just what this one is doing but focused on Centering Prayer. I could probably launch it, but have been asked to wait a bit, as I would have to probably moderate it.

Phil, I stumbled on this site as a result of searching for a place to ask some questions about spiritual matters, and it appears you have done a terrific job of creating the space to have the types of conversation about contemplation, contemplative approaches and lifestyle in a very elegant way.

I am looking forward to participating here and asking my own questions...

Thanks for your very open and receptive environment!!!

Bill Fulbright

Posts: 5 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Bill, and thanks for sharing of your journey.

This forum was presented as part of an online course a couple of years ago, but has recently been opened to all. I'm glad you found it helpful and wish you many happy returns. Smiler

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Thanks!

I see on the main page many current posts!

Maybe we can stoke this one up!

Eeker

Posts: 5 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I learned Contemplative Prayer from Sister Bernadette at Contemplative Outreach in Denver. I am so fortunate to live about 5 miles away. Father Thomas Keating descends from the mountaintop Monastery of Saint Benedict in Snowmass, Colorado for a couple of visits each year and I had the pleasure of meeting him once. I also had the opportunity to meet Father Theophane before he passed away. A wonderful and humorous monk who wrote "Tales of a Magic Monastery." These are all first rate human beings, as are all of you and I'm
fortunate to be in such good company. Smiler
I have watched about a hundred hours of Father Keating's video presentations, listened to his tapes and read his books. He is very gentle and humorous and accessable to a wide variety of people.
I joined a combination Centering Prayer group and 12 step group, "Centering Prayer and the Eleventh Step." Father Thomas made a special series of tapes for 12 steppers and he really loves them. Smiler
I also attend a men's group for support and
fellowship of the mystical variety. They are great
guys and we have alot of fun.

Thank you for this outreach, Phil ! ! !

charitas,

michael

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi! My name is Bruce as you've probably guessed. I was attracted to this sight as I came across the word "apophatic" to describe a spiritual experience which i recognise within myself ... viz That God is transcendant and any attempt to reduce Him within the confines of our own limited concepts robs us of that sense of awe that is suitable to Him. I googled "Apophatic" and ended up here! It looks like a good, safe site to learn from those who seek a deeper walk with the Lord. I am hoping to learn something of "moral apophatic" if there is such a thing - ie the negation of our own roghteousness by the wholly other righteousness of God which is imparted by Grace - perhaps I'm seeking to bridge the gap between my evangelical heritage and the contemplative tradition.
I was converted from the drug culture (mid 70s) into a Pentecostal church - after 15 years moved with family (wife and 3 kids) to iNterdenomenational Bible college in Yorkshire UK - from there to a little Methodist Church on the East Coast. After varied jobs 6 years ago to this present time I work for a local charity whose mission is to go into senior and junior schools to share the love of Jesus. I love my job - moreso I love the kids - moreso I love the Lord! Better stop there for now! But was wondering if anyone knows any dowloadable sermons/talks on Sprituality that I can listen to on my mp3. I managed to find an excellent site (ccel) where I managed to get all of "Practicing the presence .. " by Bro Lawrence. I love just going for walks with the dogs and letting his words spur me on to recognise God in the hear and now! Smiler

Posts: 1 | Location: Scarborough UK | Registered: 30 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Bruce. I think you'll find other kindred spirits here and look forward to hearing more from you.

Shalom. Phil

posted Hide Post
My screenname here is mayflower, but feel free to call me May. Since I don't know what the Lord will prompt me to share in the future, I wish to keep my real name private to protect the feelings of those close to me.

I wish I'd found a site like this years ago, but upon further reflection I wouldn't have been ready to accept these truths. I can say without a doubt that the Holy Spirit has led me directly to the path that I am on.

God is so awesome! I am so very lucky to belong to Him. He began awakening me spiritually over 13yrs ago, and I had a very rough start. It took me years to begin to understand what was happening to me.

I am priveledged to be able to devote most of my time to God, and this makes me the luckiest woman in the world! The Holy Spirit led me to pray almost constantly. Also to study scripture. But, what amazes me is that the Spirit revealed contemplative prayer to me, before I even knew it had a name. All I knew is that everyday I was being led to turn off all the lights, tv, and unplug the phone, and go lay down in my room. I recall the first time I had this prompting, I just felt I needed to get quiet and let God wrap me in His arms. That's what it felt like--that God was hugging me, and I could feel his love, comfort, peace, and I felt very safe.

I have studied other religions, and I can't say I didn't learn some things. There were truths in them, but I have never found an untruth in Christianity. Seeking truth has only led me more deeply in my Christian walk. I desire to be perfected in Christ, to know Him fully. He is my Lord.

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,

What a difference a couple of decades makes!
When I began "meditating" 20+ years ago it was rare to find anyone who would admit that they were meditating as a spiritual practice, and it was almost as rare to be able to any printed support materials. TM was catching on then, but that didn't seem to be where I was called, mostly because it required MONEY to participate. My meditation introduction came at a retreat house in Lewiston, Maine. It was a casual offering by one of the resident priests but that was all it took for me to be hooked. The method I learned was very mechanical, and, while I've never seen this method described in print, it served me well as I gradually learned how to shut down my brain- to be with God. As a protestant there was no support for me at home in NH. After I had been meditating on my own for a couple of years I couldn't find anyone who had more personal experience than I- until I was led to a group of Sufis in the Boston area. For 2 years they were my support- until I was called away from them- and every other sort of personal support. After a couple of years in the NH mountains, I landed in seminary where I hoped to find lots of support, but more often was the support for others. Phil, you came to that seminary to lead a retreat, but I was away for a family wedding. How grateful I was to find your books to add to a growing shelf of books by other practioners, who seemed to validate my own experience (which seemed very important then). This was about the time that I (mostly) quit calling what I did "meditation", and began calling my practice contemplative prayer, and began trusting completely the leading of God (Holy Spirit?).
In addition to the classics of contemplative prayer and mysticism, which I had acquired by that time, I felt encouraged by contemporary writers, Philip St. Romain, Stanislas & Christina Grof, Thomas Keating, Cynthia Bourgeault, Thomas Greene, Tilden Edwards, and David Steindl-Rast, and consider them my companions.
Part of my call to this spiritual path has seemed to be that my source of support NOT be reliant upon a geographical rootedness. I relate strongly to the Exodus story.
As an interim pastor my address, and pockets of local support, tend(s) to change often, so I am delighted to find a caravan of pilgrims who seem to be willing to share the journey!
Thanks to all of you for being here, and thanks to Phil for being an administrator- among many other things.
Peace to all of you.
Mary Beth

Posts: 1 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Mary and May. It sounds like you both have a depth of experience and wisdom to share with us. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

I'm on the road for the next few days and don't have much access to the Internet. You all carry on. I'll catch up soon.

Shalom. Phil