New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should abortions be legal? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] Consideration of consequences can also shed light, to some extent, on the moral nature of an act. [/qb]
I agree. Although I noted that the church's arguments were mostly deontological, I did not also mention that I saw that as a defect, an overemphasis. In our analysis of a moral object, we typically evaluate the act (deontological), intention (aretaic or virtue analysis) and circumstances (including the consequences, teleological), together.

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB, the consequences are more than post-abortion syndrome. See http://www.abortionfacts.com/effects/effects.asp

- - -

Shasha, the story you linked to of the woman who hung herself is a sad one. My wife has worked with many women who felt suicidal because of guilt experienced from abortion. Some of them were relatively unchurched, so it's difficult to say that religion "caused" their guilt. Part of our human nature is attuned to morality without the conditioning of religion.

Here's the link to Rachel's Vineyard, which is an outreach to women who've had abortions. They do good work and would be a good referral source for women you might counsel with.
- http://www.rachelsvineyard.org/

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] JB, the consequences are more than post-abortion syndrome. See http://www.abortionfacts.com/effects/effects.asp [/qb]
It is probably better to go to websites that are neither affiliated with pro-life nor pro-choice advocates to assign percentages to complications, which any medical procedure has? While this site does acknowledge (rather weakly) that there is no definitive link between abortion and breast cancer, for example, the National Cancer Institute comes across more credible and authoritative.

I am guessing that e-medicine is likely a neutral site; see http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic4.htm

Out of curiosity, I also checked http://www.prochoice.org/about...ety_of_abortion.html .

I didn't compare the list of complications and associated incidence percentages across these three sites. Maybe someone would like to do this, however.

Such complications should certainly be taken into consideration. However, I am guessing the incident levels aren't high enough to get on anyone's legislative radar in order to require a legal remedy?

From National Institute of Health :
quote:
Legally performed abortions are relatively safe. Complications rarely occur.

posted Hide Post
An afterthought on the ontological issues: When it comes to questions regarding emergent realities and how continuity and discontinuity play into these analyses, the very same categories and terms and philosophical insights are brought to bear on the question regarding at what juncture in world history a human being emerged. The paleontologists and anthropologists and theologians wrestle, in that case, with precisely the same questions: What comprises human life? What comprises human personhood? And they raise these questions and search out these definitions in their anthropological speculations, which are otherwise distinct from our considerations. But that aspect of their project devoted to formulating correct definitions is, in many respects, not merely analogous, but, identical to our our own discussion. What is it that some of our phylogenetic cousins lacked, whether in genotypic endowment or phenotypic expression, that would keep them from being called Homo sapiens? An incredibly interesting set of questions, n'est pas? Even in process metaphysics, which emphasizes our radical continuity with all of reality, we recognize otherwise "bounded realities" and we thus ask how and why we define such boundaries from a semiotic perspective, which asks what meaning they have, and a pragmatic perspective, which asks what practical difference they will make.

As we consder the moral status of the embryo, especially when considering such distinctions as incipient, sentient and sapient vis a vis its attributes, one might wonder whether, by logical extrapolation, more appreciation is warranted for all sentient beings, more consideration should be given to higher primates. The Eastern traditions, with their emphasis on reality's continuities and nondualist paradigm, might be more sensitized to this non-anthropocentric perspective.

The different dualisms of Western Enlightenment thinking, in my view, tend to underemphasize our essential embodiedness and to devalue it with an overemphasis on abstracted functionalities, and this strikes at the heart of a more integral approach to reality, in general, and human realities, in particular. Ours is an integral approach informed by our being an incarnational people, to be sure, but also, from a natural law perspective, an integral approach informed by our inextricable relationship to all of reality via our cosmogenic origins. We are stardust. We are golden. And we've got to make our way back to the garden.

posted Hide Post
JB, the issue of post-abortion syndrome is the most common consequence to women, from what I've read. The problem with establishing its statistical incidence is that the onset can be years after the abortion. The intensity can also vary. So I don't know how common the problem is, only that I've spoken with women who still suffer from guilt and depression decades afterwards, especially during certain times of the year -- like when the abortion took place, or when the baby would have been born.

I don't know what would constitute a significant problem to legislators. We put up with 20,000 drunk-driving deaths each year, and although we've increased the penalties for drunk driving, alcohol is a legal drug. IOW, not all social problems receive proportionate treatment. Abortion, like alcohol use, is probably one that many believe we just have to put up with, given our weakness in the area of sexuality.

---

As for the question you raise of the emergence of the human -- I see where you're going with it. Surely a variety of criteria are employed. The most obvious one -- spiritual consciousness -- doesn't show up in fossilar or archaeological digs, although one can infer its presence in certain forms of art or writing (where a consciousness of self seems present). This particular criterion would be a poor one for establishing the presence of human personhood for young ones, as its emergence doesn't begin to show clearly until 2 yrs. of age, at the earliest. Ontogeny might recapitulate phylogeny in our anatomical development, but I don't think we want to take that into the philosophical realm.

---

Quite so on the issue of respect for all of creation. If we approach things with this attitude, we're much less likely to fall into the kind of willful actions that bring about unwanted pregnancies in the first place.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb]As for the question you raise of the emergence of the human -- I see where you're going with it. [/qb]
I wasn't entertaining any particular implications or going anywhere. I was simply noting that the task of defining Homo sapiens is the same for anyone, whether biologist, paleontologist, anthropologist, theologian or whomever. This is a descriptive project that I was talking about. It shares an identity across these disciplines. This doesn't resolve all of the other issues vis a vis emergence and continuities and discontinuities, which is an interpretive project, which relates from one discipline to the next analogically, some analogs stronger vs weaker than others, such as the one you addressed.

Google this syntax: +personhood +"ontological discontinuity"

And look at the number 1 hit:

Re: Christ OS - anyone for expanding the metaphor?i like Woody's PxOS ontological discontinuity, where he has Windows 2000 running ... Newton-John's personhood in Phyllis Diller's body? jeepers, get a PC! ...
shalomplace.com/christos/messages/28.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

POLANYI�S FINALISM by John F. Haught and D. M. Yeagerviction that centered personhood in living beings is real, though ...... metaphysics, which posits an ontological discontinuity between matter ...
www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/0591-2385.00111 - Similar pages

POPE JOHN PAUL II�S TEACHING ON HUMAN DIGNITY AND ITS IMPLICATIONS ...on to name �ontological discontinuity� and evolutionary theory�s claims of .... (Of course there are those who think that what they call �personhood� ...
www.springerlink.com/index/q230k60572643762.pdf - Similar pages

PCBE: Human Cloning and Human Dignity: An Ethical Inquiry -- Full ...... is in ontological discontinuity with the material from which it emerged. ...... Personhood is not the only warrant for respect; we consider it a failure ...
www.bioethics.gov/reports/cloningreport/appendix.html - 168k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] The Biological Dimension of Human PersonhoodFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Even though Grisez admits that establishing personhood is a ques- ...... I conclude that both the genetic-ontological discontinuity argument and the ...
www.ivpress.com/title/exc/2667-2.pdf - Similar pages

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Ontogeny might recapitulate phylogeny in our anatomical development, but I don't think we want to take that into the philosophical realm. [/qb]
I'm don't get what you are saying here or why. The philosophical realm consists of normative sciences, which ask distinctly different questions of reality than the descriptive sciences. Or, put in Heliminiak's terms, the positivistic vs philosophic vs theistic vs theotic realms of concern.

The philosophic or normative, then, necessarily makes use of the descriptive or positivistic.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Ontogeny might recapitulate phylogeny in our anatomical development, but I don't think we want to take that into the philosophical realm. [/qb]
Maybe you were dealing with a putative analogy and not a definition per se? Even then, our analogical imagination is, legitimately, very active in the philosophical realm, especially in metaphysics. Still, analogies can be variously weak or strong, direct or indirect, so caveat emptor, indeed. By definition, they imply more dissimilarites between objects than similarities, even as they give us invaluable and actionable information, such as about, well, let's say, ummm God. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quick note: the emergentist perspective is just a heuristic device and not a robustly explanatory theory that gifts us with empirical demonstrability

but, even if it was a theory per se, what is typically says, in plain terms, is that something more comes from nothing but

and this involves the introduction of true novelty, something not predictable

so, there ends up being not a lot of room, in my view, to equate stages of fetal development with emergent states (such that relational properties are in ontological discontinuity vis a vis the material of their origin), because the properties of the fetus already inhere across its life span

or, put more simply, they are not biologically novel; they are, rather, biologically predictable

compare this to sodium and chloride with their unique properties which do not speak to the issue, in any, way, shape or form, of saltness, which is ontologically discontinuous vis a vis its properties from those of Na+ and Cl-

ergo, fetal developmental stages do not meet the criteria that define emergent states, but, more importantly, the emergence paradigm is just a heuristic device and not a robust positivistic theory

there is ontological discontinuity between Homo sapiens and Homo whatever and that speaks directly to the essence of humanity

What positively enthralled me was this discussion: EVOLUTION, EMERGENCE AND TRASCENDENCE OF MAN
quote:
Human evolution is characterized by the emergence of the human form. Easily recognizable in the more recent phases (Homo sapiens), its identification in the earliest phases is the subject of debate. Indeed, the beginnings are shrouded in obscurity. As Teilhard de Chardin noted "Man enters the scene of the earth on tiptoes, when we see him he is already a crowd."

The real problem is the continuity and discontinuity. Both must be acknowledged. However, one can pay more attention to one or the other. This explains why there is no consensus of views on the identification of the human threshold, even though most paleoanthropologists (Tobias, Piveteau, Jelinek, Coppens, etc.) are inclined to recognize Homo habilis as the earliest human form. (13)

Beyond the debate about the time of appearance of man, we could ask what characterizes the human form biologically and phenomenologically, i.e. on the basis of the documentation furnished by fossils.

Biologically, i.e. with reference to morphological-functional development, in addition to bipedalism, there must be a certain cerebral organization that allows for language and psychic activities at the human intellectual level. Brain size is important (some Authors set the cerebral Rubicon for man at 700-750 cc). The existence of a link between psychism and cerebral organization is difficult to contest, at least at the species level. As Bergson observed: "Consciousness (we would say psychism) does not spring from the brain, but brain and consciousness correspond because they are measured, the one because of the complexity of its structure and the other because of the intensity of its awakening, the quantity of choices available to the living being." (14)

Cerebralization has been proposed by Teilhard de Chardin and others as a parameter by which to monitor evolution: "Nervous differentiation is an important transformation. It gives meaning and thus contemporaneously proves that there is meaning in evolution." (15).

Nevertheless, the identification of what might be considered a minimum cerebral threshold for man remains very problematic. According to Piveteau (1994): "in a similar study, the anatomical criterion can only be a factor of indecision: the psychical criterion is certainly the preponderant one." (16). In this regard, the differentiation of the cerebral areas related to language (Broca's area and Wemicke's area) is of obvious interest. Indeed, these areas have been identified on the endocranium of Homo habilis (Falk, Tobias). (17)

Behaviorally, it is necessary to look at manifestations that can be interpreted as culture. Where there is culture there is man. But what characterizes cultural behavior? At any evolutionary level, cultural behavior must have two essential characteristics, which appear closely linked to each other and reveal an abstract intelligence: planning and symbolization.

Planning means the ability to act intentionally by means of the predisposition of certain actions to achieve a goal. Planning means originality and innovative ability, whether expressed in stone tool making or in territorial organization or in manipulation of food. It is what occurs in technology. Intentionality reveals the notion of time: the subject elaborates images of the past and projects them into a future that he is able to prefigure. In the animal world, one also finds techniques (at times very complex ones), but they are regulated biologically and do not exhibit innovation and progress. There are no evident signs of abstract ability to project into the future.

In his manifestations of intentionality, man also shows the capacity for choice and thus self-determination and liberty, an aspect that places him on a plane of values and thus ethics.

Symbolization is the other characteristic of human cultural behavior. It consists in attributing to a sign (a sound or an object) a value or meaning that goes beyond the sign. By means of symbolization, realizations of techniques are enriched with meaning and value.

The specific personhood article that I thought was done well was this one.

posted Hide Post
ChristOS! Big Grin LOL! That's hilarious!

I was in a hurry with my last post, but what I was meaning to say was something like this: that in taking the perspective of emergent levels, one recognizes certain qualitatively new thresholds. E.g. - chemical > biological; ape > human. Those two stand out, but there are others one could posit in between. In each case, we are dealing with a different kind of matter before and after -- matter that is fundamentally oriented toward the kind of life it manifests.

I'm probably not tracking with some of what you shared, only I've had dialogues with process people who obfuscated the point above by affirming that the whole universe is fundamentally oriented toward emergence -- that we live in a kind of universe that, given the right conditions, will bring forth increasing complex beings and eventually spiritual consciousness. I can live with that explanation so long as we don't get silly and say things like the universe has some kind of soul, or that it's no greater sin to destroy a fetus than it is any other kind of creature, who are all part of this universe. My response is that emergent levels are new kinds of creatures, deserving of recognition and respect for the unique qualities they manifest. This includes their biological matter, which is integral to the new emergence. It's the same kinds of atoms and molecules we find in "lower levels," but ordered, now, to express a new kind of consciousness. Indeed, there's something about this approach (as opposed to a resultant paradigm) which suggests that it is the emerging consciousness that brings forth the new organization of matter rather than vice versa. Profound implications, here, for any who wish to ponder the relationship between human consciousness and the developing human being, for what is suggested is that embryonic/fetal development could very well be informed as much (or more) by the consciousness it is oriented to express as by chemical/biological processes. As the old philosophers used to say, the body exists for the soul, and the soul for the body. One can make this point using different language and without invoking religious teachings.

Sorry if I took this on a tangent from where you were going, but that's the line of thinking that was stirred in my grey matter. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Charles Krauthammer (my favorite neocon next to Bill Kristol Wink ) frames up his apologetic in prudential terms, not metaphysical. Just to demonstrate how these arguments run, below are some excerpts from his submission to The President's Council on Bioethics. Dr. Krauthammer is a very serious and deeply caring person.

Charles Krauthammer, M.D.
Council Member
quote:
Charles Krauthammer, M.D., Syndicated columnist. Dr. Krauthammer, a board-certified psychiatrist who received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School and practiced psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital for several years, writes a nationally syndicated editorial page column for The Washington Post Writers Group. He won the 1987 Pulitzer Prize for distinguished commentary. For 20 years, he has written articles on several bioethical topics, including human experimentation, stem cell research, cloning, euthanasia, and assisted suicide.

Dr. Krauthammer was a recipient of the Inaugural (2003) Bradley Prize, awarded by the Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation, as well as the recipient of the 2004 Irving Kristol Award, given by the American Enterprise Institute.

I'm not posting this in violation of the spirit of continuing a conversation that Phil is needing some rest on, because I've said all I have to say, too. Rather, I want to post this good material for future reference.

quote:
Statement of Dr. Krauthammer
I oppose all cloning, reproductive and research. I would like to see them banned. But I live in the real world. As I have explained, both in the Council and in my writings, I oppose research cloning for prudential reasons. Prudence dictates taking into account the real world, meaning the realities of American democracy, and at present there is no consensus for banning research cloning. I therefore strongly support a moratorium.
quote:
I do not believe the embryo is entitled to inviolability. But is it entitled to nothing? There is a great distance between inviolability, on the one hand, and mere "thingness," on the other. Many advocates of research cloning see nothing but thingness. That view justifies the most ruthless exploitation of the embryo. That view is dangerous. Why? Three possible reasons. First, the Brave New World Factor: Research cloning gives man too much power for evil. Second, the Slippery Slope: The habit of embryonic violation is in and of itself dangerous. Violate the blastocyst today and every day, and the practice will inure you to violating the fetus or even the infant tomorrow. Third, Manufacture: The very act of creating embryos for the sole purpose of exploiting and then destroying them will ultimately predispose us to a ruthless utilitarianism about human life itself.
quote:
The other prudential argument is that once you start tearing apart blastocysts, you get used to tearing apart blastocysts. And whereas now you'd only be doing that at the seven-day stage, when most people would look at this tiny clump of cells on the head of a pin and say it is not inviolable, it is inevitable that some scientist will soon say: Give me just a few more weeks to work with it and I could do wonders.
quote:
We would all be revolted if a living infant or developed fetus were carved up for parts. Should we build a fence around that possibility by prohibiting any research on even the very earliest embryonic clump of cells? Is the only way to avoid the slide never to mount the slippery slope at all? On this question, I am personally agnostic. If I were utterly convinced that we would never cross the seven-day line, then I would have no objection on these grounds to such research on the inner cell mass of a blastocyst. The question is: Can we be sure? This is not a question of principle; it is a question of prudence. It is almost a question of psychological probability. No one yet knows the answer.
quote:
Research cloning is the ultimate in conferring thingness up on the human embryo. It is the ultimate in desensitization. And as such, it threatens whatever other fences and safeguards we might erect around embryonic research. The problem, one could almost say, is not what cloning does to the embryo, but what it does to us. Except that, once cloning has changed us, it will inevitably enable further assaults on human dignity. Creating a human embryo just so it can be used and then destroyed undermines the very foundation of the moral prudence that informs the entire enterprise of genetic research: the idea that, while a human embryo may not be a person, it is not nothing. Because if it is nothing, then everything is permitted. And if everything is permitted, then there are no fences, no safeguards, no bottom.

posted Hide Post
- Addenda:

As the old philosophers used to say, the body exists for the soul, and the soul for the body.

One could also say that our body is for our consciousness and our consciousness to animate its body.

This is why I resist the common New Age slogan that "we're spiritual beings having a human experience," as if our spirituality and humanity (including the body) are separable. I understand that it emphasizes the reality of spiritual consciousness, but it also tends to suggest that our bodies are "accidental" to this consciousness.

posted Hide Post
JB, we cross-posted. See mine above the Krauthammer piece you just posted.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] This is why I resist the common New Age slogan that "we're spiritual beings having a human experience," as if our spirituality and humanity (including the body) are separable. [/qb]
I recall when you first made this point, years ago. And I was very pleased that you had. It equipped me to better critique a lot of stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] One can make this point using different language and without invoking religious teachings. [/qb]
Formal and final causation are making a comeback in recent years, especially in semiotic science, where such is more of a minimalist telos than you describe. But this minimalist telos (such as baldwinian evolution, for example) opens our imaginations via analogy to exciting metaphysical possibilities such as you suggest, to formal causations such as Arraj has explored (via Bohm, Sheldrake et al), to the Polanyian tacit dimensionality that Haught has explored, to even some of the more far out Ayn Rand notions, where consciousness itself is a primitive along side space, time, mass and energy. This is all too speculative for current bioethical deliberations but it should give pause to our coreligionists and other traditions that are open and in sympathy with this type of dialogue.

posted Hide Post
Right, JB. This more holistic perspective is displacing the view of consciousness as a resultant epiphenomenon.

This reflection has had me thinking more deeply about the human body as a new kind of matter. Obviously, we're mammals with the same biological processes that mammals have. But human spiritual consciousness raises the body to a new level of life, where the body itself becomes the means by which our spiritual consciousness is activated (nods to Aristotle) and is, in turn, profoundly affected by the way consciousness is exercised. There's that ancient intuition that the bodies of the first humans shared in the immortality of the human spirit -- maybe not so far-fetched an idea, after all. Then there is the risen body of Christ, which is a whole new kind of matter and a new emergent breakthrough.

All very interesting, with lots of implications for how we view the developing embryo.

-----

Good piece by Krauthammer. I really like his writings.

posted Hide Post
addenda: when i spoke of a minimalist telos per Baldwinian evolution, and of formal causation in semiotic science, to be clear, i was speaking of a type of downward causation, a nonenergetic causation, if you will, that did not otherwise violate what we know as physical causal closure

such a tacit dimensionality is thus unobtrusive, subtle but still manifestly and utterly efficacious

it seems to me that this opens the door to other formative influences in a literal, identical manner, as well as invites analogical thought, too, re: metaphysical possibilities/plausibilities/probabilities

this certainly informs our view of the entire human life span from embryogenesis thru the reproductive cycle

it may one day inform others' views, too, but much work remains before it can be urged in a universally compelling manner upon the body politic writ large; that work is to move from logical possibility and metaphysical plausibility to theoretical probability, a movement that will take our conceptualizations down the path from the dogmatic to the heuristic to the more robustly theoretic, which then has positivistic impetus, as a negotiated-universal, to be appropriated for our philosophic deliberations

we do some of that work here, albeit inartfully at times Smiler tightening up our arguments, sharpening our wits, inviting authentic and depthful dialogue, always self-critical, not without rigor, hopefully without rancor

in the interim, Krauthammer's strategy would provide for a good stop-gap (stop-loss), even though he doesn't buy into our metaphysics whatsoever; the Spirit is evident in his wisdom, even in his rather inchoate metaethic

posted Hide Post
From Johnboy: we do some of that work here, albeit inartfully at times [Smile] tightening up our arguments, sharpening our wits, inviting authentic and depthful dialogue, always self-critical, not without rigor, hopefully without rancor

Indeed! And thank you for your contributions unto those ends.

- - -

I'd like to return briefly to HP's point about Christian burial services and the implications for personhood, but will not focus on the funereal aspects, which I've already covered. What I'd like to note is the regard the early Christians came to hold for the Personhood of Jesus.

Many scholars point out that it probably wasn't until after the resurrection that the notion of him possessing a divine nature began to be taken seriously. Resurrection signaled what we might call a qualitatively different kind of emergent breakthrough -- deified human consciousness, including, here, a new kind of matter, which we call a resurrected body. The question for the early Church (and indeed the first 4 C. of Christianity) was whether Jesus had "realized" an innate divinity we all possess (the view of the Gnostics), or was he a new "type" of human being? The Apostolic Tradition, as we know, decided on the latter -- that Jesus possessed divinity in a manner different from the rest of us . . . that he is the "begotten" Son of God, true God and true Man, etc. The full manifestation of this reality became evident with Jesus' resurrection and ascension, but what about before his death? Well, there were signs of it -- certain miracles like raising the dead, knowing the future, etc.

The question of when to regard the divine Person of Jesus as present, then, is similar to the question of when to recognize human personhood.

The response of the early Church (as evidenced in the Gospel stories of Jesus' conception and birth) was that Jesus' divine Personhood -- although fully manifest with the resurrection -- was nonetheless present throughout the whole of his life.
- his conception comes through the intervention of an angel and the power of the Holy Spirit;
- the angel tells Mary he is to be named Jesus, and that he is the Son of God
- his mission to establish the reign of God is announced.

So there we have it. The one conceived had a name and a future mission, even in the womb of Mary, and this name and mission imply recognition of his divine nature. If that was how the Church regarded Christ's divine Personhood, which did not fully emerge until after his death, then by what standard would any Christian deny human personhood to an embryo or fetus? We'd have to somehow disregard the Christic paradigm, which cannot be used in philosophical discussions, but certainly comes into play when religious considerations are granted.

<HeartPrayer>
posted
The Mystery of Personhood
--------------------------------------

Interesting points, Phil, very interesting.

I am certainly not one to deny the embryo or fetus personhood! And I do sincerely hope that that is not how the thrust of my posts is being interpreted. All I am saying is that the Church, or rather "churches", has been far from consistent in what has been preached in word and practice.

Many mothers, and fathers, have deeply experienced the personhood of their child-to-be-born. In rare cases even before conception.

The truth is that Personhood is a Mystery -- of life and of Creation.

And before this Truth I can only feel immense gratitude and humility.

Smiler HeartPrayer

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you've enjoyed these reflection, HP. I don't know what inconsistencies in word and practice you're referring to, in that Christianity has always considered abortion to be a serious wrong. The few pro-choice demoninations we have today represent a drastic departure from tradition.

----

Here are a couple of scriptures that indicate the presence of personhood from conception on (again, I know this example won't work in public debate)

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I
appointed you as a prophet to the nations.

- Jer. 1: 5 (on the destiny of the prophet)

For You created my inmost being;
You knit me together in my mother�s womb.
I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from You
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
Your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in
Your book before one of them came to be.

- Ps. 139: 13-16

---

In public debates I've used the principle that a human being is a human genome with an individual human destiny. This statement holds true for adults, children, and embryos. Nothing else in nature can make this claim -- not even a sperm, egg, or skin cell. I find resonance with this understanding in the biblical verses above.

posted Hide Post
"I feel that the greatest destroyer of peace today is abortion because it is a war against the child--a direct killing of the innocent child--murder by the mother herself. And if we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?

How do we pursuade a woman not to have an abortion? As always, we must persuade her with love, and we remind ourselves that love means to be willing to give until it hurts."

---Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
I'm going to stick my neck out here... someone tell me, is it a scientific fact that the embryo is indeed a child with a Spirit... I think the breath is the Spirit... that is what God said isn't it? He breathed into them the Holy Spirit.And so when the child is born , then he receives the breath of Life???

That passage in the bible posted above, isn't enough to convince me.

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katy, science can't really speak on philosophical or theological issues like when "personhood" is established or when one receives spirit. Science can affirm the existence of biological individuality and all that entails, including eventual psychological, intellectual, etc. development.

One thing we can say for sure as people of faith is that nothing exists except that God gifts it with existence. That would obviously include an embryo.

Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
But there is a scientific aspect to it too... Is it an unanswerable question? I know science can affirm the existene of biological individuality, but that is not the same. Animals have biological individuality too.

Yes, nothing exists except that God "gifts" it, but it is Spirit... human life that I am concerned about.

Not sure if my question is clearly expressed.. best I know how to explain it.

Thanks,
Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Katy:
[qb] But there is a scientific aspect to it too... Is it an unanswerable question? [/qb]
My take on your question is that "science" is really a matter of "scientific method," and we use the term "science" only to mean the body of knowledge that results from the application of that method.

So in order for "science" to affirm Spirit, you would have to define your terms and then come up with a way of verifying your hypothesis experimentally (or refuting its opposite).

The Church tends to make normative rather than positive statements on this subject. For example, "Human life must be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception" (CCC 2270). This is not the sort of proposition that can be subjected to experimental verification or refutation.

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post