Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The big Frat Login/Join 
posted
Lately I've been finding out that relatives of mine who are Christian are Masons.

Most Masons will tell you that it is not a religion: it's just an age old frat. Well some anti-Masons disagree.

The question is should a Christian get involved with the Masons?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Neo,

I'm not sure of the official status of Free Masonry with the Catholic Church, but it has, traditionally, been condemned. In the Diocese of Lincoln, NE, one can be excommunicated for being a Mason (I think I've got that right; I stand to be corrected.

Click here for an article on Free Masonry that was written by Thomas Paine many years ago. You'll see some of the problems that a Christian Church could have with some of this.

None of which is to deny the many charitable contributions made by Masons, and the possibility that they no longer emphasize teachings which could pose a conflict for Christians.

Info from others is welcomed.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend and I are currently doing some online research. We both believe Masonry is wrong. But I have decided to start by looking at their point of view, rather than looking at the antis (which I will eventually do).

So I went to their national website to see what they have to say. And not going by what any anti-Masons say, I have to say that I do not believe Christians should be involved.

The reason why is that according to the Masons, it is nothing more than a Fraternity. A brotherhood, if you will. But this brotherhood, is inclusive as to who can join and who can't. They defend the Wiccans on their own website.

They say that they are no favor of religions. Which being politically correct, that sounds fine.

However, I do not believe that it is right for a Christian to join and make brothers in a in a group when you know that right next to you is a Wiccan, and on the other side of you is a Muslim.

Yes, I believe you can be friends with a
Wiccan or a Muslim. But to join and become brothers to one... I think that's where the "Be ye not unequally yolked" verse comes in. It is my understanding that even when saying prayers all must be inclusive. In other words saying a prayer in Jesus' name may offend the Muslim sitting next to you.

Now this is where the religion part comes in. A Christian must say a prayer, but not use Christ's name so not to offend other religions. In other words, the Christian is praying to a universal god, one that is worshipped by all religions.

That's not my God. The Muslims, the Wiccans, the Satanists, they do not worship the same God I do. Just based on that bit of information, I would have to say that yes, Freemasonry is a religion.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, Neo, you're pretty clear to yourself about this. I'm not really sure it qualifies as a religion if it has no doctrine or ritual that it requires of all, but if you're bothered by being in an organization with other people of different faiths, then it sounds like you need to leave the Masons alone.

The link I referred you to is not really an anti-Mason link; it's just informational, though old. As such, it gives an idea of why the Church in the past forbade involvement with Free Masonry. I'm not sure if that article describes the current situation, however.

keep us posted.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post