Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Course in Miracles Login/Join 
posted
http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/thcourse.html

I have mixed feelings about The Course. On the one hand, I have seen some people make enormous leaps
which they attribute to The Course. Gerald Jampolsky's books are among the best in the self genre, IMHO. Marianne Williamson is ok. I read Return to Love and had a couple of her tapes. David Hawkins calibrates The Course at 600, which leaves
Humanism, Judaism and Christianity in the dust at
499, 499 and 498 respectively.

On the other hand, an Evangelical interperetation would have us all casting out Course in Miracles devils. hhhhmmmm.....

caritas,

mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some Catholics don't much like "The Course" either. This study provides a more dispassionate reflection on "The Course" and other New Age revelations of Jesus.

I've only passing familiarity with it, but did cross paths with a woman once who was quite excited about it. What she described to me sounded similar to what Mary Baker Eddy was teaching, particularly about healing and suffering. We didn't get much into the Christology issues, however.

Good topic, Michael. Let's see where it goes from here.

------

Edit: oh, how did I miss this?
David Hawkins calibrates The Course at 600, which leaves Humanism, Judaism and Christianity in the dust at 499, 499 and 498 respectively.

Well, there you go! Placing "The Course" above Christianity does reveal much about Hawkins' assumptions, doesn't it? That's just silly, imo.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popularists would have us think that the Course has the universalism of Jesus, but it seems to have borrowed its glamor.

I was surprised to find in one of the Hindu books a direct quote from the Course the other day. For what it matters, it would seem to express advaitism in the workbook (which Dr Hawkins' calibrates at 600) and an adversarial form of psychology in the text. The enemy in the Course is the Ego. It is quite an extreme read, sometimes beautiful, sometimes dreary. I have got some inspiration from it. It has the power to inspire and uplift so I like to read it sometimes.

A recent writer on the Course, I forget his name, prophecised that the Course would grow over the next few hundred years to a healthy strong subsect of Christianity. I have no opinion either way. :-)

Posts: 19 | Location: australia | Registered: 15 September 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post