Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

God's mercy and justice Login/Join 
posted
What strikes me is how the love of God, being inseparable from truth, yields a form of justice which you can't help but embrace. In the presence of such Love, Love Himself, no lie can be tolerated, and so justice becomes an agreement to accept whatever the painful truth happens to be, which is received in love and from Love.

How different from even our most humane justice systems, where either accountability is lost due to lack of love to accept the pain or entitlements are given which fail to quicken conscience, and yet those human principles at least allude to a greater possiblity and need. But without Love at it's Source, mercy and justice remain forever in an unbalanced tension.

Posts: 235 | Registered: 02 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
w.c., I've read and had the intuition as well that the fires of hell are naught but God's love, only experienced as excruciating suffering by those who want no part of it. Problem is that after one dies, there's no way to hide from God, so that's how the judgement works. Jesus alludes to something of this in John's gospel.

Yes, our own human systems of justice are pretty pathetic in comparison. Even justice based on natural or logical consequences (which seems the best we can do) is often devoid of love, which is the energy that enables us to actually grow from our experiences.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil:

A Carmelite friend of mine said once:

"We're pretty sure there's a hell, but we aren't sure anybody's in it."

The notion is stronger than the sentiment here, as few if any creatures could truly resist the source of all love, but how those fires would burn, alter, transform. So not always a sweet burning. Of course, there are the fallen angels, but God only knows how far gone they are. Perhaps that resistance is mainly pride. As we've pondered on another thread, maybe it's the pride that creates the impasse, as the fear is so close to the need for love anyway.

Posts: 235 | Registered: 02 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post