New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Think We Need a Vatican III Login/Join 
Picture of Katy
posted
Hi All:

Do you think we need a vatican III? I do. For instance I was just reading the thread here about getting a despensation to eat hot dogs at the ball park. This reminded me of, what I think, is one of the stupidest "rules" of the church and needs to be revised. No meat on certain days, and no food in between meals on certain days. O.K. a lot of people are vegetarians these days... no big deal to give up meat. Also a lot of churches have fish frys on Fridays during Lent. Now this has been a special treat for me, and many others. Mmmmmmmmm, the dinners were so good. Long, long lines formed to get these delicious fish dinners. So what is so sacrificial about that?

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Katy, those dietary rules you refer to only come into play during Lent and aren't very controversial in the Catholic Church. Granted, eating seafood is not so great a sacrifice, however.

Vatican III might be a good thing for the next Pope to convene. The world has changed a lot since Vatican II and it might be a good idea to reflect on how Catholic doctrine can connect with people in the 21st Century. Maybe they could take up the hot topics like birth control and women's ordination that just haven't gone away and which weren't really addressed in the previous Council.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post