Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Book and Movie Reviews    The Heart of Female Same-Sex Attraction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Heart of Female Same-Sex Attraction Login/Join

posted
This is a wonderful, compassionate, and very clinically astute book. Written by Janelle Hallman.

http://www.janellehallman.com/...Janelle_Hallman.html

I'm not finished with it yet, but highly recommend it to anyone who wants a compassionate, in-depth understanding of some dynamics of and treatment of SSA. Though it's largely based on clinical research with female SSA, I'm sure many, if not most of the issues, could easily apply to male homosexuality. The author draws on a lot of developmental research to make this a good scholarly read.

Although it's subtitle is, A Comprehensive Counseling Resource, it's written without too much jargon or theory. Her clinical and Christian perspective is a great anecdote to the "born-this-way" theory of homosexuality or the one-size-fits-all development model. Just as happily, her approach does not engender any coercive elements of the 'reparative therapy' approach. She exudes a lot of love and respect for homosexual women. There's no hint of moral judgement in what I've read so far, which makes Janelle a real gem of a Christian counselor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shasha,

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that people still talk about "treating" homosexuality. If I correctly recall, it was last defined as a disorder in DSM-II. In DSM-III, only ego-dystonic homosexuality was defined. And in DSM-IV, homosexuality was taken out altogether. That's not to say I agree with these decisions -- merely that they represent the "official" consensus.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Derek,

Janelle's approach to 'treatment' is not with an explicit goal to change the homosexual into a heterosexual, unless they want that. It's about taking them where they're at, find out what is hurting them, and respect their personal goals. That's the approach all Christian counselors should take, imo, with SSA.

Here's a clip from her website (under Philosophy):
---------
We at Janelle Hallman & Associates are skilled in providing a safe place for gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered (glbt) men and women seeking traditional psychotherapy and wanting greater levels of personal or relational wholeness. In fact, Janelle launched her counseling career with a focus on helping and supporting sexual minorities.
Likewise, we are skilled in providing a safe and supportive environment for men and women seeking congruency between their sexuality and faith-based convictions. This may mean different things for different people. We are committed to aligning ourselves with each client’s unique and self-directed goals.
We honor all people’s right to self-determination. We therefore will also align ourselves with a man or woman’s authentic desire to diminish or alter their experience of same-sex attractions and/or behaviors. We will support men and women with same-sex attraction who want to explore opposite-sex intimacy.
We are also skilled in providing a safe and supportive environment for parents of gay-identified children (glbt), knowing that parents often do not have safe places in which they can speak openly about their child’s life. We are also sensitive to the pain that many families face as they first discover their child’s homosexuality.
Ultimately, we will meet each person where they are. We will not impose a hidden agenda. We will take the time to know and understand each individual’s unique situation, history and goals for therapy. Together, we will develop a customized treatment plan that will be both respectful and hopeful.
-----------

I like that: "We will not impose a hidden agenda." At the same time, her book is full of the developmental deficits, wounds, and conflicts which underly SSA, suggesting that her theoretical understanding of the etiology of SSA is that it is largely determined by early family & interpersonal experiences. She has a summary of that here, second article down titled "Developmental, Relational, & Emotional Etiology of...":

http://www.deserthope.com/category/articles/

About what about her Christian beliefs about SSA?
from same website: "Beliefs on Homosexuality":
--------------------
God created male and female in His image – each unique – each special – but both equal in terms of glory, dignity and value. God’s original intent is that they would each live out of the fullness of their specialness and goodness in life, love, worship and play. God’s original intent was to join with them, live with them, love them and be at the center of their joy.
Regardless of where a person might find themselves in terms of their identity(s), relationships, sexual preference(s), economic status, religious beliefs, racial and cultural inheritance, failures and successes, God is still passionate about restoring every individual to His original intention of joy and fulfillment. “For I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10
Having walked with people for over twenty years, my associates and I do not presume to know how Jesus will impact and change another’s life. He is God; we are not. We feel safest when we humble ourselves before His Mighty Hand, knowing He has unlimited power but also knowing that His tender gentleness never breaks a bruised reed (Is. 42:3).
A person’s story is never over, final or complete until they pass from this life unto the next. Even then we may be in for a surprise about the eternal journey set before us. But in the meantime, it is our commitment to journey with a person through the ups and downs of life, coaching them ever onward towards the Truest and Best Lover of their Soul.
-----------------

I'll go with that.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Shasha. I didn't read all the material you linked to, but the section on etiology made a lot of sense to me.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTW, Derek, how are you?
We haven't heard from you since the blow-out, of sorts. You OK? Smiler