Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yoga Body Login/Join

posted
Mark Singleton’s Yoga Body is a cultural history of asana practice, concentrating on the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Modern hatha yoga is only tenuously related to asana practice as described in the Sanskrit texts. Until the eighteenth century, real hatha yogins lived as itinerant petty criminals, despised and feared by Indians and British alike. Even Vivekananda, the great popularizer of Indian religion in the West, viewed hatha yoga as an inferior pursuit, and one that was perhaps not even a spiritual practice at all.

The sanitization of hatha yoga began with the European physical culture movement of the late nineteenth century. Gymnastics and bodybuilding became popular. A Christian man, it was held, should be a manly man. The movement was taken to India by the YMCA and by the British military, who included physical fitness in their training drills.

As Indian national pride developed in the early twentieth century, a desire developed to demonstrate that India had its own system of strength and fitness. Hatha yoga was then reinvented by grafting a careful selection of its elements on to the international culture of the body — though research has shown that many of its supposedly traditional postures look remarkably like ones from nineteenth-century European fitness books, and many were invented on the spot by Tirumalai Krishnamacharya in Mysore in the 1930s.

Mark Singleton’s well-documented research challenges the notion of the modern asana class as an ancient Indian tradition. The many period illustrations add charm to the book.

Mark Singleton. Yoga Body: The Origins of Modern Posture Practice. Oxford University Press, 2010. Paperback. 272 pages. ISBN 9780195395341. $17.95.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Derek. Do you mind if I reprint some of your reviews in the weekend edition of Daily Spiritual Seed? They're very good, and I'll give you credit, of course, including any link you'd like me to use as a reference.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL I'm laughing because I don't think my own reviews are very good, but you're welcome to reproduce them if you like them. They are from my blog at http://true-small-caps.blogspot.com

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O Well, thanks for the link.

Posts: 5 | Location: US | Registered: 05 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post