Ad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CS Lewis Login/Join

posted
Hi everybodySmiler I hope that you are doing well. I have heard so much about Shalom Place, all good things.
I am not sure if I have not been looking in the right places, but I cannot find a place where they chat about Mr. Lewis. He has inspired me. I just wanna know what people think about his masterpieces(I think) and his life. Please feel free to be completely open free with your thoughts.

At the moment I am reading his Cosmic trilogy.
Amazing, awesome and beautifully written.

Please note that I am a first time blogger >|<
So be kindSmiler

Posts: 17 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greetings, daughter. I, too, enjoyed Lewis' cosmic trilogy when I read it years ago, and have read many of his other works.

We've discussed and mentioned Lewis many times through the years, but it might be good to have a thread just for this purpose. You can use the search link at the top right part of the page to see where he's been mentioned. Just use "c. s. lewis" (no quotes) as your search word and you'll find many results.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Daughter of Eve,

My favorite CS Lewis books are the Chronicles of Narnia series. I read them as a teenager and when I became a summer camp program director I found the stories to be very tellable. His stories really grabbed the attention of the whole group.

On US Public Broadcasting System, there was a documentary comparing the lives of Freud and Lewis. See:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/questionofgod/
In my neighborhood, three of us had a discussion group where we watched parts of the video then had a time of sharing. It lasted four or five evening and was both thought provoking and inspiring.

Welcome and best wishes on this chat topic.

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Yes, I'm just now re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia. Picked up "Prince Caspian" yesterday; these are being sold for about 6.00 dollars a piece in trade paperback. I read them as a young teenager, so it's a nice re-visit, recalling how re-freshing it was to tap into my own soul and the world and others as unique creations at a time when nobody around me was real or facing the immense pain our family was suffering.

I re-read "The Great Divorce" during Lent, and was astounded by Lewis' psychological insight as to what keeps people in Hell: the resistance to loving and being loved, or really being seen into - in those places that we protect or keep out of intimate relationship.

Additionally, I've recently read "Phatastes," by George McDonald, whom Lewis' gives much credit to as a primary influence bringing him to Christianity through the power of fairy tales. He's not easy reading like Lewis' fiction, but worth the effort, as both Lewis and Tolkien view McDonald as the grandfather of modern fairy tale.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,
Phil, thank you for the help.
Ryan, great link!
I must say that i have read a lot of his writiings. I enjoy them so thouroughly. Narnia, is a classic. Every chance that I get, I just open to any book, any page, and enjoy it as much as I did when i first read it.
I feel that Lewis' writtings have impacted my spiritual life much more than the Bible. It would have been cool for him to have added his bit in the Word. I can only imagine the picture he would have painted, if he were sitting amongst the fisherman, with Jesus! Wow!
Thanks for the good wishesSmiler and the reply.

Posts: 17 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daughter of Eve, Welcome and Mazeltoff (means joy, greetings, all good things) Smiler

I saw the front cover of the book you mention, wow, it appears to be quite enticing, and I am tempted to get it from the library.

It's great to know that you have heard good things about Shalom Place in South Africa. We are now covering the globe. Big Grin

It is so great to have you join us and I look forward to more of your sharing.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think with CS Lewis, one just knows what to expect, but some how knows it without knowing it. I hope that you get me!
So over the weekend I finished the second book of the trilogy, Perelandra. It was beautiful. You almost see yourself in Narnia when the Children are being "inaugurated". Then Lewis hits you with these amazing eldila singing or speaking these beautiful praises to Maledil. I wish that I knew what Christ meant to Lewis for him to write like that. I want to know HIM like that. I want to connect with HIM the way that Tor of Perelandra did.

w.c. I have read Gearge macdonalds the Princess and the Goblin, Loved itSmiler I would love to read more of his stuff. It's just really hard to get his books in SA.

My favorite of the Chronicles is The Horse and His Boy.

Blogging rocksSmiler

<w.c.>
posted
DOE (nice abbreviation, no?) Wink :

You can find MacDonald's books available through Amazon, but it sounds like you're happily buried under a pile of Lewis' writing. As for getting better acquainted with him, you might google for the various C.S. Lewis societies that have sprung up. There are some audio tapes of him available, the last time I checked.

And yes, Lewis has a knowing of his readers, and is able to capture the "numinous" qualities of the mythic realm that always leave us surprised. I read the first of his space trilogy when a teenager, and hope to get back to them some day.

posted Hide Post
Thanks w.c.

My husband found this really awesome forum site yesterday.

http://cslewis.drzeus.net/forums

Hope you guys enjoy it.

They bring up issues like Is aslan God?
One of the bloggers did a review on the silent planet as well.

EnjoySmiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daughterofeve:
[qb] this really awesome forum site yesterday.
http://cslewis.drzeus.net/forums [/qb]
Daughter, That is indeed an awesome forum. I sense we may not be seeing much of you here anymore. So be it. You have found a better place for the next stage of your virtual journey. Smiler

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey don't say Goodbye yet...
That is a forum for Lewis only.
This forum talks about a lot of stuff, that is close to my heart as well. But I guess this will be end of the Lewis chat?

See you guys on other topics then. Wink

Love and Light
DOE(nice abbreviation)

<w.c.>
posted
Continue on with Lewis as you like . . . .

posted Hide Post
Thank you w.c.
I think we should close this thread on LewisSmiler

See you around Wink
Thank for being supportive

posted Hide Post
daughterofeve,

Welcome and greetings. Haven't had the experience of Narnia as yet. I have Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader. When I get a round TUIT, about twenty C.S. Lewis volumes in the TBR pile. Looking forward to many discussions with you. Smiler

caritas, mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mm, thank you for your good wishesSmiler
When you get around to Lewis, I hope that you enjoy him as much as I did.

ok so maybe we won't close the threadSmiler
My husband and I chat with a group of young adults on Thursday evenings. It is quite good, pulls me out of my box! So we discussed the whole Judas Gospel thing.It was a good discussion, it made people respect the Bible even more.

But what happens when you start reading other books for spiritual guidance, as you would read the Bible?
I have, for the past two years looked to Lewis for guidance, he has helped me see Christ through a different dimension. Is there anything wrong with this? Are there things that I should be aware of?