New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kundalini and the Evolution of Consciousness Login/Join

<w.c.>
posted
JB:

Here's something to chew on . . . although you've probably sucked the juice out of this before . . .

The connection between uncertainty and relationship as a bridge in dialogue betweeen nondualists and theists. IOW, the further we go into relationship, the more we discover the need to accept uncertainty (faith?). And K is no exception.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of uncertainty, here's another piece of sugarcane to chomp on:

quote:
A number of questions have been raised concerning Maritain's epistemology, particularly concerning his characterization of philosophical knowledge. For example, while Maritain suggests that there is a difference in method between the sciences and philosophy, it is not clear what exactly that difference is. For example, Maritain would follow Aquinas in holding that metaphysics uses demonstratio quia -- demonstration from effects. But it would seem that science also sometimes uses such a method of demonstration. Indeed, it is not clear what it is in the method (as distinct from the content of the premises) that differentiates a metaphysical proof (e.g., of God's existence) from a scientific argument establishing the existence of a cause of a natural object.

Second, Maritain holds that scientific knowledge is distinguished from philosophical knowledge in terms of their different methods and different objects. But if scientific knowledge and philosophical knowledge are, as it were, incommensurable, it is not clear how philosophy can judge, or be corrective of, the sciences.

Finally, it would seem that the model of demonstration that Maritain employs is foundationalist and, thus, has to answer to those criticisms that modern anti-foundationalism draws attention to -- e.g., that a foundationalist theory sets a standard for knowledge that is not only without justification, but is a standard that it cannot itself satisfy. Some recent defences of Thomistic epistemology (e.g., Henry Veatch in Thomistic Papers, Volume IV, 1990) suggest ways in which such concerns might be addressed.

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

I tend, myself, toward a more essential pragmatism that affirms a more nonfoundationalist, or maybe, perhaps more appropriately, a postfoundationalist approach to epistemology. So, I don't see these realms truly as discontinuous as I might seem to let on. (Just ain't enough electrons to nuance all of reality.) If they appear autonomous, perhaps that has more to do with the fact that these realms of knowledge are asking different sorts of questions. The distinction between the synthetic and analytic a priori doesn't make much sense nowadays. Philosophy and science are moreso continuous, one asking questions and one asking meta-questions. Our search for coherence and congruence and consistency in both realms thus overlaps. Correspondence theory, to me, thus yields to coherence theory and NOT in a way that leads to radical humean nonconclusions.

pax,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Or as the Buddhists would say . . . .

posted Hide Post
Or as the Buddhist would say . . . . to the hotdog vendor: Make me one with everything.

<w.c.>
posted
I love when you impale yourself on humor like that.

posted Hide Post
Dean, to the physics department. "Why do I always have to give you guys so much money, for laboratories and expensive equipment and stuff. Why couldn't you be like the math department - all they need is money for pencils, paper and waste-paper baskets. Or even better, like the philosophy department. All they need are pencils and paper."

posted Hide Post
Philosophy is a game with objectives and no rules.

Mathematics is a game with rules and no objectives.

Theology is a game whose object is to bring rules into the subjective.

posted Hide Post
It occurs to me that this thread deserves Jim Arraj's persective more explicitly. My own metaphysics is rather weak in some ways. But in Jim's treatment ---

A Christian Philosophical Explanation of Kundalini Energy --- you will find the roots of that 99.9% agreement on this stuff that I share with Phil.

Jim writes:

quote:
The key points for understanding kundalini from a thomist perspective are the nature of the human soul as a spiritual being in potency which needs to be united to the material universe in the body in order to activate itself, and how the human soul contains and animates these lower levels of material being. What is kundalini? It is a fundamental energy of the soul that activates all the levels of the soul, from lowest to highest, fitting it for enlightenment.
And he anticipates a question:

quote:
It still seems strange that you would call kundalini, which seems so physical, an energy of the spiritual soul.

We tend to think of our bodies and souls as two separate things, with our soul somehow in our body. St. Thomas took a very different approach. When, for example, the spiritual soul is created by God and infused in the human embryo it is not somehow in the body, but it becomes the very principle of life by which the whole human being lives. The animal soul of the embryo is rooted in the spiritual soul and receives its existence from it, and the other lower levels of being, as well. This unlocks the mystery of kundalini from a philosophical point of view, for it allows us to see that the spiritual soul is present to every level of our being, and its own full activation in enlightenment demands the activation of all these levels of being.
So, I think it is not a mischaracterization to maintain that we are talking about a spiritual, immaterial "energy". In activating other levels of our material being, I think it is fair to say that that would include such energies as are detectable and measurable by science, already known and identified by science, distinct from so called soul energy (which is spiritual, hence undetectable by instrumentation), though clearly depending on soul energy? The use of the word "energy" in the spiritual plane is thus clearly metaphorical.

Finally, another anticipated question:

quote:
If kundalini is such a fundamental, energy why don't more people experience it?

I think we have to distinguish between this energy in a general sense which all of us have and which is operative in our development , from kundalini in a dramatic and manifest form which is limited to a few people. This fundamental process moving us toward enlightenment can take place even if we are not consciously aware of it, but kundalini in its manifest form gives us an invaluable picture of what is at stake.

pax,
jb

<w.c.>
posted
So JB, given these passages from Arraj, wouldn't theology be a means of discoverying the rules of the subjective, rather than creating them? IOW, aren't the rules already in place, whether we know them or not?

When we consider mystical theology, at least among theists from different traditions, there is much common ground. And even in dialogue with Buddhists, major tenets of moral theology often seem held in common. And so the subjective already seems a strong, inherent feature of any theology.

Please limit your reply to less than one full page of legal size paper, and feel free to use the trash can.

posted Hide Post
Just to note, here, that Jim's fine little essay has been incorporsted into the eBookedition of my book on kundalini along with his reflections on this phenemenon from a Jungian perspective.

Say what . . . you don't have a copy of that edition? Big Grin

Check it out.

Now for that hotdog . . . Wink

- Happy Independence Day all ye American readers. -

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So JB, given these passages from Arraj, wouldn't theology be a means of discoverying the rules of the subjective, rather than creating them? IOW, aren't the rules already in place, whether we know them or not?

Si, si, senor.

That little triad was a joke Big Grin

posted Hide Post
re: this phenemenon from a Jungian perspective

Even if there is not a complete identity between the kundalini concept of soul energy and the Jungian concept of psychic energy, the analogy runs very deep, eh? Such as with realization and individuation. As Lawrence Fagg would point out, these analogies run very deep with electromagnetism, too.

pax,
jb
always here to properly illuminate our analogies with the bright light that shines from dark apophasis Wink

posted Hide Post
Hot Dogs and the East

2003 NEW YORK - For the third straight year, rail-thin Takeru "Tsunami" Kobayashi out-gorged the competition Friday in the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating contest, downing 44 1/2 dogs and dominating adversaries three times his size.

Kobayashi, the Michael Jordan of wiener wolfing, twitched and twisted to finish his franks at the rate of one every 16 seconds in a 12-minute display of gastronomic supremacy at the annual Fourth of July extravaganza.

posted Hide Post
Although, like Thomas Aquinas, we might sometimes feel that our kataphasis is so much straw, and we might sometimes be tempted to say it's just an analogy*, gosh, just look at what a wonderful gift our Catholic analogical imagination is! It undergirds our natural theology, our liturgical and sacramental and mediational theology, too. What a gift! To help us know God, every which way we can on an endless journey of discovery!

pax,
jb
*musing on analogy prompted by kundalini and Jung and electromagnetism as very deep energy analogies

posted Hide Post
New question: I think we have a better grasp of how the kundalini process might be conceived metaphysically with a Christian philosophy/theology and also physically/biologically. Certainly, the soul energy is always activating every level of our being, sometimes with strikingly visible manifestations. We can at least begin to understand, even if not fully, how the life of prayer, of ascetical practice, grace of Holy Spirit, etc can influence this soul energy even as it remains outside of ego-control. So, my question is this:

What is going on, in Christian metaphysical terms, when third parties get involved with another's soul energy? IOW, how might Aquinas explain reiki or shaktipat and such?

pax,
jb