Paperback and digital editions

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

science and religion Login/Join

posted
Many many treatises are appearing everyday on the links or contradictions between Science and Religion. Basically the common man, the lay person, would be happy to know that there is no conflict, but the views of scientists themselves vary greatly. What is the current situation, is there a convergence of science and religion?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faith does not need the crutch of science. Science and religion are two different worldviews, and there need be no link or contradiction. I know how the sun "rises" but I may stii worship the Sun as symbol of the Divine with my Mantras...

Posts: 11 | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Boy, if that doesn't draw JB out of the woods like a Bengal tiger . . . . . . "Here kitty kitty kitty . . . nice kitty . . . ."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a convergence of science and religion?

Aristotle and Aquinas thought so and, although I didn't take much coursework in the humanities, from what I've heard from others, in some circles, large or small, I forget, their views were, more or less, respected.

pax,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome Joseph and Sakthi. Smiler

We have a few discussions on science and religion going already. Some are in the Christian Mysteries forum, others in the Morality and Theology one. I'll be moving this thread to the latter forum during the next couple of days as it fits better there. In the meantime, feel free to keep the discussion going on this one.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a lifelong student of the general sciences I tend to believe that science and technological growth are very much a part of God's plan, and they infuse us with greater wonder and awe at God's creation. Besides, the distinction between Matter and Spirit seems to be vanishing, and all is basically spirit, appearing sometimes as sene-tangible matter in the act of observation and interaction. I can only pray that the use of technology should be always for the furtherance of God's plans for us. May science and technology alleviate hunger and suffering and pain in the world. Thank You, Lord God of Creation, thank You!

Posts: 11 | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post