Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

God within? Login/Join 
posted
Recently I have really begun to enjoy the experience of God within me and my prayer life has taken on a deeper intimacy when my focus in prayer is on God who dwells in me rather than God outside of me somewhere in the Universe.

My problem is that I Love praying the Lord's Prayer at the conclusion of my times of innercommuion, but when I start: "Our Father who art in Heaven", it creates a tension between the God with whom I have been communing within myself and an external God who is "residing" in Heaven. Since God is one, I am wondering why I feel this tension and why the Lord's prayer seems to focus on a God without rather than within.

Since heaven is not necassarily a geographical place, but rather the place where God dwells, is it okay for me to simply mean "Our Father who dwell within me" i.e. heaven?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, that makes sense, Jacques. God is both within and beyond. Usually we think of the Father as "beyond" and the Spirit as "within" so that's probably why you feel your attention moved unto transcendence.

Contemplation rests in both levels -- God within and beyond -- simultaneously. See if you can consent to that awareness.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But what about when Jesus says that he and the Father will come and make their home with/in us. Is it really only the Spirit inside us and not the Trinity?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, sure, Jacques. It's all-for-One-and-One-for-All with the Persons of the Trinity. I was speaking more in terms of how we relate to the Persons rather than where They actually abide.

Happy Easter! Smiler

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry Phil, feeling a bit stupid but your guidance is helpful to me. Would it then be okay for me to Pray to every person in the Trinity Father, Son and Spirit inside of myself while also experiencing and worshiping the whole of the Trinity outside of myself?

The reason I ask is that to break them up and worship Spirit within but Father without feels like I am fragmenting the Trinity and worshiping two (or three) different Gods.

and Happy Easter to you too and to your family Smiler

posted Hide Post
Sure, Jacques. It's OK to pray to any/all of the Persons or just to God with the focus within or outside oneself. Whatever helps you to sense a closeness!

Although the Persons are eternally distinct, They all possess the divine nature in common and act as One. You might check out this thread where we once had a discussion on Trinity and spirituality.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, lots to read on the other thread.