New
Find
Notify
Tools

Father Bede Griffiths Login/Join 
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

I'd like to keep this video link active, unless you prefer otherwise. Not with the intention of raising ecumenical tensions, but because it does embody, for me, what it is like to be in the presence of someone sanctified to a significant degree. Others may also enjoy this brief repast.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOAlyl7u2dw

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good video. Arraj has an interview of him on his site as well.

Re. Jesus letting go of his God (2:00 - 2:10) . . . that's low Christology, for sure. Lots of exegetes would maintain that he was invoking Ps. 22, which is a trustful affirmation of Providence. There's also the matter of Jesus actually being God, which would make it difficult for him to let go of God (high Christology). Of course, we don't really know what the experience was like for him, unless he lets us in on it.

Good to hear Fr. Bede speak so movingly of the unconditional love that is foundational to our lives.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

I've read a few of his books, and much of a biography. My impression is that Bede Griffiths recognized a need for the feminine aspect of God to balance his proper English upbringing. And perhaps he couldn't find that within the Benedictine order during his earlier monastic years.

But yes, his low Christology in that video has always stood out to me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post