Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biblical Mysticism Login/Join 
<AFlows>
posted
Phil, is there any evidence to indicate that some of the authors of books in the Bible got the material that they wrote about through meditation or other mystical experience? ... Thanks Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Generally, the recipients of revelations and experiences of God in the Bible were just living an ordinary life and then "God showed up."

Of course, prayer is emphasized throughout, and people do have dreams and visions that prove to be significant, but revelation is never considered to be the fruit of one's spiritual discipline. It's totally a matter of grace.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,

That was true for me. Sure, I'd been meditating for ~20 years when the Illumination experience occurred, but it was wholly by grace. No way one could anticipate something of that magnitude.

Peace...
Les

Posts: 113 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 December 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree by way of experience. An ordinary evening just "minding my own business" and the Spirit swept me off my feet (so to speak). Had been searching for a deep, meaningful prayer relationship with the Holy for years, unable to attain it at will.....until, as Phil says, "God showed up". Timing is not up to us.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 May 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Debbie, and thanks for sharing your experience.

I suppose we could make some distinctions between "ordinary" and "extraordinary" experiences of God, the latter being referenced more in this discussion. But the "ordinary" seems to be the way it goes for most -- the daily opening to God, with peace and guidance sustaining us.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Phil. Whether one's experiences are viewed as ordinary or extraordinary, it still remains that any encounter with the Holy is by grace and not our own doing.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, Debbie. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Forgive me if I am taking this in a direction not intended, but isn't the "extraordinary" often found in the "ordinary"?

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Debbie, can you give an example of what you have in mind, here?

There is a sense in which the ordinary is really quite extraordinary. Is that what you mean?