Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drop it all Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm going to close this thead on the kundalini and spiritual emergencies forum and move it to the Christian Spirituality Issues forum, where I think it will receive a wider reading.

Intriguing topic, w.c., and some excellent sharing. I'll continue it in its new home.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought of "dropping it all" many times, even recently, and have, at times, curtailed certain spiritual practices just to get a different perspective on things. At this time in my life, however, I don't feel muich inclined to break with my usual routine any more than I would to curtail taking vitamins, eating whole foods, or getting proper sleep and exercise. The spiritual disciplines I undertake each day (especially prayer times) seem to be essential for stabilizing my life and maintaining a sense of connection with God. If I "dropped it all," I know God would still be there, of course, but I also know that my psyche and physiology would be thrown out of balance for awhile and something akin to withdrawals symptoms would set in. I'm certain that I've developed a "positive addiction" to certain spiritual practices, and that endorphin levels are tied to the quality of consciousness in which I live.

So, I'm not sure what I'd have to gain by either dropping it all or dropping it in part. Maybe if I was all out of balance and felt a need to "re-set" everything, I'd be a taker, but not at this time. I wouldn't want to live with me if I stopped. Wink

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

I think where the potential value of this comes into play is when there is already some sense of the false self's desperation, yet it still having a primary influence. Once the false self is exposed and we know it pretty much when we see it, we can "drop" one or more of the activities that may be feeding it, which gives some openness to actually be with the real pain driving it and seek the relationships that are genuinely nourishing to the soul.

It's really kind of a test to what comes up when routines are interrupted. There's a big difference between false self pain, where existential longings are distorted into grandiose ventures of spirituality, etc, that collapse into a kind of regressed loneliness, and when the pain that arises is simply a lack of good nourishment such as you describe.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me my spiritual life is very simple, I let go and let God. Doing things in moderation should be part of our daily lives, as well as our spiritual lives. By entrusting myself to God, I am kept in an awareness of my day and living same.

I stay away from constantly using my mind to analyze things, instead I am open to surprises that a day may bring, and enjoy the moments of experiences as they arise as the gifts that are given to me in my life's learning.

The simpler and childlike, (not foolishness), and they more I just live my life with a heart of love is sufficient for me and is well balanced.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freebird, using your mind is a good thing, imo. Do you not have questions, or some kind of practice of self-inquiry to help clarify your experiences and your understanding? Children are open to wonder, but see how naturally their minds move into inquiry as they raise questions and seek understanding. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean when you speak of not wanting to constantly analyze things.

- - -

w.c.,, I've worked with spiritual directees whose practices seemed to be an obstacle to authenticity. They had so inundated themselves with spiritual disciplines they thought they "should" be doing that they lost touch with the true hungers of their soul. Encouraging them to say fewer rosaries, go to fewer Masses, etc. seemed strange advice, but they really did need to fast from these for awhile until they were able to sense what disciplines they truly needed. The false self resistance was obvious, in that they felt reassured that as long as they were doing these disciplines, God must be pleased. Not an easy thing to give up!

In your opening post, you mentioned even giving up reading and posting on this board. That would be a piece of cake for me. I very much enjoy the exchanges, and it does allow for the activation of spiritual charisms, but "fasting" from this would be much easier for me than, say, contemplative prayer.

<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Yes, those sound like examples of the distinction I'd make between relational access to the true self and false self pre-occupations that distort the truth. The latter are the focus of this thread re: "dropping it all"; however, as you know, and refer to, the false self is tenacious in turning any genuine relational opening into its own project of grandiose inflation and dissociation.

As Grace points out, only God in the Night of the Senses can release us from these fallen tendencies; otherwise we remain addicted creatures, including our obsessions with spiritual consolations.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, of course, I utilize my mind, otherwise, I could not understand a bit about life, nor be able to make mostly wise decisions from the choices offered to me, and help people in my counseling practice.

I just don't analyze everything thinking my own intelligence will find the answers to our lives and as to the way we are all connected in this vast universe as the offspring of God, together with dropping any obssessions in trying to figure out people or myself. My own intellect allows me to trust that in the stillness of knowing God, He reveals what I need to know.

This letting go and letting God, and allowing Him to be my spiritual director, my guide and my teacher has been for me the pearl at great price that lightens my mind and brings truths into same. As to learning from others, God does so through family, friends and my interactions with clients.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with one of my clients, a woman who had been in a coma for two years, and had been declared clinically dead three times. Her death experiences where a testimony to God's love and totally different from any other death experiences I had ever read about. She did not find herself immediately embraced by a bright light. First she entered a black space which she travelled through with a light as a feather spirit body, such joy and peace she felt like God embraced her with a giant hug of total love. From the black space she further travelled through what she called a pewter color stage and through this space she saw the clear light which she was guided to. The clear light brought her into a vast area of the clearest light which seemed to have no beginning nor end. The first person she saw in a spirit body was her aunt whom she had a deep love and connection to on earth and who had died four years earlier. She was told that she needed to return since her work here on earth is not completed. Also approaching her where beloved family members that had also passed on. She did not see God, nor Christ, except for these family members. Before her entry into this clear light of what she called pure spirit, she had looked down and saw the stars and planet earth to be like the twinkling of one star. so very insignificant, and being just part of this grandiose atmosphere of planets, moons and suns.
When she awoke from her return from death, she was most aware of being more connected to some people than others. She could see the strength of spirit in some, and others a great diminishment of same. She also saw some people who had lost their souls, and had a minimum amount of lifeforce.

I had to share this with all of you, since I am still touched by same. Especially as to how she described the love of God as a giant all encompassing hug.

Posts: 571 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 20 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have permission to share my client's death experience. No other personal information is revealed. She felt that her experiences may bring comfort to others in knowing that we live.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Freebird, for sharing your clients "death expereince". It is interesting that after she returned back she can clearly discern and saw people's spirit. I wonder if she is also aware or saw different signs at the forehead of different people?

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grace, I hesitate to ask my client any questions about her death experiences because I feel like an intruder into her beautiful gift. When she is ready to reveal more, I may gently guide her through spirit in her furthering of her sharing. Even without my prodding, it was most difficult, yet beautiful for her to share, otherwise, she would not have done as such. It took her tremendous trust, love, and safety in me, and in her willingness to give and share this joy with others.