Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taught to Accept Losing?? Login/Join 
Picture of AnnieK
posted
My daughter is a sophomore in High School. She plays on the girls' softball team. She a good athlete--not necessarily a super skilled softball player, but an all-around good athlete.

The team is having one of those rebuilding seasons. Both the pitcher and catcher are sophomores--talented, but young. There are only two seniors on the team. So far they have lost every game....some worse than others!

Last week the coach made an interesting comment to the girls. His opinion was, that as Catholic girls, they had been taught to "accept" losing. (I forgot to mention that she attends a Catholic High School). I was rather humored at his analysis of the situation. I'm not sure exactly what he meant. Does he think they should be angrier when the game is over?? Carry the loss with them on the bus?? (My daughter is in NO way going to let a sports "loss" spoil the possibility of some fun afterwards.) Smiler

I like the coach. His heart is in the right place, and he wants so much for the girls. But he is a rather intense man.

Anyway.....do you think that Catholics are taught to accept losing?? Wonder where he came up with an idea like that?

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anne, if you will please pardon my pun, I think the coach's comment came from left field. Smiler In terms of Catholics being taught to accept loosing, perhaps he needs to be reminded of the Notre Dame football legacy. Smiler

Seriously, I haven't a clue about what he meant, and probably only he can answer that question. Not every coach is good at making motivational speeches. I hesitate to speculate without giving him a chance to be here and defend his comments, but.......they do sound a bit on the shame-based side.

On the other hand, it could be that he meant well, had something positive in mind, and it just came out wrong.

shanti

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if that coach is Catholic?

Losing isn't exactly part of the Catholic ethos--certainly not in the realm of athletics, as shanti noted. We're taught to do your best and that winning isn't everything, but that hardly translates to an endorsement of a losing attitude.

I wonder what he really meant?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnnieK
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil and Shanti,

Yes, the coach is Catholic. He belongs to our parish and he does attend regularly. Even on weekdays sometimes!! I did hear him comment once that he didn't really buy into organized religion. I know him well enough that he felt comfortable saying that to me, you know?

I think maybe he is taking the losing too personally as a coach, instead of just accepting that he doesn't have the talent (this year) to compete. Sooo...instead of accepting that, he is looking for some deep dark psychological reason as to why the girls are losing. This gets him off the hook, too, you know?

That's my take. Trust me, I'm not losing any sleep over any of it. I was just rather intrigued my his "Catholic" comment. I wondered if I was missing something.

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a good sense of what's going on here, Anne. Wink

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post