Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Praying to Saints Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Herb, I'm wondering if you're a Protestant? (Not only Protestants are interested in Romans, but... ;-) ). Anyway, I just thought that this has been often a source of conflict between Catholics and Protestants, because the latter oppose to the notion of praying to a saint, emphasizing that we can only pray to God. That's certainly true. I can't see any point in praying to a saint in the sense that the saint will use some special superpowers to help me, like some pagan god. But what we, as Catholics, mean by "praying to a saint", is praying to God by intercession of a saint or asking a saint to pray for us to God. A saint can't do anything without God's permission and God's grace, so actually we receive the grace from God via the saint, don't we? Angels and saints are various reflections of God's goodness. Their distinct personalities reflect the infinite richness of God who is the Word saying his "words", the saints. So I find it beautiful that we can pray to saints, because in fact we pray to God who likes to use us, poor humans, to hide behind us, to show his kindness and his love for humanity. Isn't it marvellous?

Posts: 436 | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mt. I am both Catholic and Protestant. I agree with you, being used by God is one of "the" most marvelous things in the spiritual life. Thank you so much for expanding and explaining the purpose of praying to Saints. I understand it much better now.

Much grace, herb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: herb,

Posts: 24 | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can you be BOTH Catholic and Protestant?

Posts: 436 | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was easy for me. I grew up as a non practicing Protestant. In the late 80's I started dating a devout Catholic who insisted I go to church with her, where I started to hear the gospel preached.

I went through the RCIA and became a baptized Catholic in 97 and have been a practicing Catholic since the early 90's to now. In 2013 I became a Soldier with the Salvation Army and have regularely been going to both Catholic and Prodistant Church since 2012.

Neither the father nor my pastor has a problem with this and, actually, you are the first person who has ever asked me that question. Neither the RCIA nor the 16 month process required to become a Soldier ever mentioned anything but respect for the other denomination. Pope Francis publicly praised the SA shortly after he became the Pope. For me, being a Catholic and evangelical Prodistant has been a real spiritual benifit.

Much grace, herb

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Herb, I think what he means is that Protestants are, historically, in protest of Catholicism. That's why they're called Protestants. Salvation Army is Protestant, but different in many ways from most of the mainline Protestant churches in its emphasis on social services. If you were to really push it, however, you'd find some teachings in the Salvation Army that are at odds with the Catholic faith. It sounds like you haven't come across this so far, and are happy with your situation.

Fwiw, you can be an evangelical Catholic. Wink

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Phil. Actually uncovering those differences has helped me look at my faith from angles that I may never have, if I had been only one denomination. At first I questioned the doctrines I didn't like and clinged to the ones I did, but then as my faith matured, I came to understand why the beliefs I, at first, didn't like were formed and now I'm OK with pretty much everything. My journey was not very homogenous. I did walk away from my Catholic faith for a while, but now I'm coming back to it and God has given me peace with being, truly, Catholic and Protestant.

The Salvation Army is very respecful of Catholicism. Maybe not having been part of the Protestant Reformation may have contributed to this. Their roots go back the the Church of England which was founded for political rather than religious reasons.

My wife is becoming an evangelical Catholic Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: herb,