Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Altruism, Reality Therapy and Developmentally-Based Psychotherapy

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Altruism, Reality Therapy and Developmentally-Based Psychotherapy Login/Join 
<w.c.>
posted
I remember reading Glasser's first book when I was a teenager; it made much sense even then, but was quite frustrating to realize in a practical way as I was still struggling in a largely uncontrollable, abusive environment. The power of choice seemed slim, but certainly among adults we see the capacity of altruism prevailing in harsh environments such as the Nazi concentration camps, and this would support Glasser's notion of our freedom to make life-altering choices even when faced with considerable burdens.

So on this thread I'd like to explore this capacity for altruism as it arises from the human endowement of natural grace, but see this from the framework of a developmenally-based psychotherapy model. I've already summarized Diana Fosha's work on another thread, and am working with a therapist who does similar work to hers.

Perhaps even more encompassing that Dr. Fosha's work is Dr. Stanely Greenspan's. Greenspan is a child psychiatrist and psychologist. He and his colleagues have had a stunning degree of success treating children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. His model is callled "Floor Time," and can be studied in his new book "Engaging Autism: Using the Floortime Approach to Help Children Relate, Communicate, and Think."

Of course, Glasser would be hard pressed to account for childhood autism as a choice the child makes, except to the extent that children suffer in this way and continue to seek out the least painful avenues in the course of that narowed adaptation. What Greenspan does is show the power and complexity of relationship, which Glasser more simply emphasizes in his own model, in bringing about large-scale neurological change.

The "Floortime Model" is currently being scrutizined by scientists and clinicians, and some independent reporting on its effectiveness should be out in the next year or so.

One of Greenspan's other books "Developmentally-Based Psychotherapy" is his accounting of many of these principles adapted and applied for adults. This framework makes good on what Glasser emphasizes as the power of choice, since the variation in nervous systems in response to epigenetic and environmental influences present different challenges for each person in engaging life changing intimate relationships.

Here are some links to start off with:

http://www.stanleygreenspan.com/audio_tapes.shtml

http://www.wglasser.com/articles.htm

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Here's a review of one of Glasser's recent books:

http://mentalhelp.net/poc/view...1483&type=book&cn=51

I've got one on order entitled:

"Counseling with Choice Theory."

The reviewer points out Glasser's egoism, which can be seen as well on his website. Funny how retarded we all are in some way or another! His choice, I'm sure. Razzer

<w.c.>
posted
Well, here's what looks like a powerful example of altruism, although the author seems quite clear that it was the grace of God that opened her heart during terror few of us can imagine:

http://www.hayhouse.com/authorbio.php?id=363

Here's a review of her story; her book can be purchased on Amazon:

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. In 1994, Rwandan native Ilibagiza was 22 years old and home from college to spend Easter with her devout Catholic family, when the death of Rwanda's Hutu president sparked a three-month slaughter of nearly one million ethnic Tutsis in the country. She survived by hiding in a Hutu pastor's tiny bathroom with seven other starving women for 91 cramped, terrifying days. This searing firsthand account of Ilibagiza's experience cuts two ways: her description of the evil that was perpetrated, including the brutal murders of her family members, is soul-numbingly devastating, yet the story of her unquenchable faith and connection to God throughout the ordeal uplifts and inspires. Her account of the miracles that protected her is simple and vivid. Her Catholic faith shines through, but the book will speak on a deep level to any person of faith. Ilibagiza's remarkable path to forgiving the perpetrators and releasing her anger is a beacon to others who have suffered injustice. She brings the battlefield between good and evil out of the genocide around her and into her own heart, mind and soul. This book is a precious addition to the literature that tries to make sense of humankind's seemingly bottomless depravity and counterbalancing hope in an all-powerful, loving God. (Mar.)
Copyright � Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.