Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Nondual Christianity - what could THAT possibly entail?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nondual Christianity - what could THAT possibly entail? Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
JB et al, I'll reserve further comment on Bourgeault's book until I finally finish it and write a review of it.

Meanwhile . . . JB, I don't know that there's any way of answering the questions you ask above. For Paul, it seems, the "stuff" or "matrix" that mediates divine causation is the Word ("He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Col. 1, 17), and for Thomas Aquinas it was the apex of the soul that interfaces with the Word. But I agree with you that God somehow sustains us in existence regardless of our moral character, and that we don't need to understand how this is so.

Posts: 3960 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Bourgeault was quite enamored of Pannikar’s book ‘Christophany’. She had scheduled a retreat through Contemplative Outreach to break open and discuss Christophany with interested retreatants. I don’t know if the retreat was ever subsequently held or not.

But it was based on the flyer notice for that scheduled retreat and the enthusiasm within CO for Pannikar’s newly published work that brought about my purchase and read of the book.

I didn’t like Christophany which attacked the historical Jesus and also the Catholic church, and proposed Jesus as the Christ figure for Christians and that Christ figures also exist in other, for example eastern, religions (Buddha for Buddhists, Longnomenanda for Hindus etc.).

I went to JB’s links (didn’t want to lay out the 14 Euros for his co-authored work though) but did note that Peirce’s website had a Hindu Goddess as its masthead – I like the deity on SP’s masthead much better (my being Blue-meme clan and all). Pannikar, I imagine might well have had a similar masthead as does Peirce. So I wondered if Peirce was a Pannikar crony theologically. And now that JB claims his life long Catholicity has been awarded “winked little – c” status, well … I have some discomfort. And I hope that others here at SP don’t have their neck’s bitten by the same spirit that has bitten JB and enabled his “winked little – c” status.

Give her book a close read.

We wouldn't want to be so progressive that we don't remain rooted.

Posts: 465 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a difference in suggesting that from the start Christianity has gotten the Jesus path slightly wrong and in believing that the apostolic tradition that emerged was a distortion of Jesus' teaching and the meaning of his life? that celibacy is an essential requirement of the ascetic path but not the kenotic path? As far as Jesus' physical celibacy is concerned, Bourgeault is correct, we just don't know. I would add that I just don't care! Big Grin

How could one possibly know if the early Church got the "Jesus path" more "slightly wrong" or "mostly wrong?" It seems only Jesus could tell us that, for sure, but that doesn't stop scholars armed with the Gospel of Thomas or Mary or Judas, etc. from assuming that they now know better than the early Apostolic tradition what Jesus intended. That seems rather arrogant, to say the least, imo.

I've just posted my notes on the first three chapters of Bourgeault's book, and I see you're now expressing some of the misgivings I have as well.

- - -

Pop, I can appreciate JB's "small c" catholicism and am guessing it implies for him an appreciation of the Orthodox, Protestant and Anglican traditions. I feel much the same, though I do give priority to Roman Catholic teaching in my own life of faith.

Posts: 3960 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
How could one possibly know if the early Church got the "Jesus path" more "slightly wrong" or "mostly wrong?" It seems only Jesus could tell us that, for sure, but that doesn't stop scholars armed with the Gospel of Thomas or Mary or Judas, etc. from assuming that they now know better than the early Apostolic tradition what Jesus intended.

This morning I started leafing through James, 1 Peter, and 1 John.

Of course, they're dealing with a different stage in the development of the Christian community than that depicted in the gospels.

But apart from that, it does seem that what they teach is recognizably continous with the teachings of the Jesus of the gospels.

If there are any differences or changes of emphasis, it would take some careful study to find them.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, this Gospel of Thomas seems to get a lot of play. CB likes it. Pannikar as well. He used an extraction from it as the lead in to his Chapter 3; ‘The Mystical Experience of Jesus Christ’ in his book Christophany. Here is the quotation he selected:

* “Jesus says to the disciples: “Compare me, tell me whom or what I am like.” Simon Peter answered him: “You are like a great angel.” Matthew answered him: “Master, you are like a great philosopher.” Thomas said to him, “Master, my tongue is absolutely incapable of saying whom you are like.” Jesus said to him: “I am your master because you have drunk and you have been inebriated at the bubbling spring that I have measured.” Then he took him aside and spoke three words. And when Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him: “What has Jesus told you?” Thomas answered, “If I tell you just one word that he has spoken to me, you would take up stones and throw them at me, fire would come out of the stones and would burn you.”
-- Coptic Gospel of Thomas 13”*

I am always amazed at how quickly many folk want to embrace whatever is new or topical, or might cast scripture in a different a new and novel light. How any scholar would believe that the above passage is in any way consonant with the rest of the Bible as we know it escapes me.

Note the question: “… tell me whom or what I am like.” That’s a far cry from ‘who do you say I am.’

Note the answers: a great angel, a philosopher, can’t say. That’s a far cry from: You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!

How could such a Gospel version ever have been considered as part of what constitutes valid scripture?

What else is interesting is the lead in words; “Compare me” because that’s pretty much what Pannikar does to justify in his book that Jesus was a type of wisdom figure comparable to the other wisdom figures of world religions.

I wonder though, what the three words really were that Jesus told Thomas. –
“Buy English Muffins!” (1% answered yes)
“Occupy Wall Street!” (99% answered yes)
“Snowballs not stones!” (zeroed out)

Some of you might have thought Christ had been a carpenter prior to his public life, but really – he was a bubbling spring measurer and worked for the Jewish Bureau of Standards.

I found that inebriating myself (yet asked the barmaid for another IPA anyway -- she’s a sweetie. I eat lasagna twice just because she is so nice, Angelina – at the pizzeria)

Posts: 465 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil: How could one possibly know if the early Church got the "Jesus path" more "slightly wrong" or "mostly wrong?" It seems only Jesus could tell us that, for sure, but that doesn't stop scholars armed with the Gospel of Thomas or Mary or Judas, etc. from assuming that they now know better than the early Apostolic tradition what Jesus intended. That seems rather arrogant, to say the least, imo.

I broadly conceive the sensus ecclesiæ and believe its sensus fidelium thus guides us! Thus, in the rather narrow issue under consideration (i.e. the gender and sex part of the Jesus Path ), our Christian faithful writ large have a pretty darned good sense of how those realities should or should not be approached when it comes to church disciplines, moral doctrines and formative spiritualities.

Posts: 178 | Location: http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnboy.philothea:
quote:
Derek, my point about the "Jesus of faith" was that the way the community presented Jesus' life and teaching in its oral/written tradition doesn't indicate much interest in pursuing nondual mystical experience other than the kind of inter-subjective union we've talked about on this thread.

Good point. And it helps to be clear when we say nondual whether we mean, as you said, nondual mystical experience or nondual epistemic approach. Keating says that, when Christians hear identity they best translate that as intimacy, consistent with what Bourgeault meant in her distinction between an equivalency of being and an indwelling. Also, as Arraj pointed out, it is a mistake to impose Western metaphysical concepts on Eastern phenomenal experiences because the East isn't really doing ontology; it's more vague than all that.

A nondual mysticism of the self gifts one with ascetical, practical & moral take-aways; it refers to neither metaphysical nor theological realities, only to an impersonal, existential experience. In other words, it's religious but not theological; it's ascetical, practical and moral but not metaphysical or creedal.

The inter-subjective union of the Christian tradition is actually prayer-related, as is mystical contemplation. Non-dual mysticism belongs to an entirely different category and would not in any way be properly considered in competition with or as a substitute for anything taught by either the historical Jesus or our Jesus of faith.

So, while one can certainly ask what place such a meditative discipline may or may not have had in the Gospels, I personally don't see how the answer would provide us any normative theological take-aways or even practical ascetical insights.

Posts: 178 | Location: http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
I broadly conceive the sensus ecclesiæ and believe its sensus fidelium thus guides us! Thus, in the rather narrow issue under consideration (i.e. the gender and sex part of the Jesus Path ), our Christian faithful writ large have a pretty darned good sense of how those realities should or should not be approached when it comes to church disciplines, moral doctrines and formative spiritualities.

I agree. And re. Jesus's possible marriage . . . the community acknowledges his mother, father, and even "brothers." How much more would they have spoken of his wife? Jesus having a wife would not have been a problem for the early Christians, especially those with Jewish roots. Therefore, I think we can conclude that Jesus was NOT married, and assertions to the contrary have no basis in truth.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree. And re. Jesus's possible marriage . . . the community acknowledges his mother, father, and even "brothers." How much more would they have spoken of his wife? Jesus having a wife would not have been a problem for the early Christians, especially those with Jewish roots. Therefore, I think we can conclude that Jesus was NOT married, and assertions to the contrary have no basis in truth.

Of course, the real issue at hand, from my angle of consideration, has never been whether or not Jesus was, in fact, married. Rather, it is the question of why even the idea, however imaginative, of Jesus having been married WOULD be a problem for so many modern Christians.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I guess for most, now, a married Jesus would be incongruent with his own teaching that some become eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of God (Mt. 19: 12), was at the core of his teaching. Paul also suggests that this was a better way, but he was apparently expecting the parousia to come soon.

There is also the matter, today, at least, that those who propose that Jesus was probably married are usually at variance with Christian teaching on other points.

posted Hide Post
Oh, there are many good enough reasons to be sure to raise objections to such assertions re: Jesus' celibacy. (And I don't find an agnostic stance totally unreasonable either, although I'm neither historian nor exgete nor terribly interested.) The bad reasons are rooted elsewhere, as you know. My sneaking suspicion (based on empirical sociological data re: related topics) is that most folks in the pews would object for the wrong reasons. It's those attitudes that interest me.

posted Hide Post
One curious thing about epistemology, in general, religious epistemology, in particular, seems to be that, however incompetent people may often seem to be in accounting for exactly how they have managed to realize this or that value, they somehow manage to realize many values anyway!

This is to say, for example, that they often have true beliefs even though they cannot properly justify them. As value-realizers, people are often unconsciously competent even while, as apologists, they are often manifestly incompetent.

This is because, especially when it comes to religion, many of the values that we humans realize derive from our practices and our participatory imaginations (hometown knowledge) and not necessarily from our conceptual map-making. Formatively speaking, belonging thus often will have preceded desires which will have preceded behaviors which will only then have been followed by beliefs. And it will have been a constellation of practices, including worship forms and other formative and transformative influences, that will have shaped those existential orientations that we eventually interpret as appropriate responses to divine initiatives and imperatives.

This is all to suggest that many people are praying well and behaving well, living out their relationships to others and God, even if they cannot provide an articulate apologetic for same and even when they inartfully account for same. I think this is exactly why we may not witness quite as many dire practical consequences as we might otherwise predict would result from this or that theological error.

In other words, we are truly immersed in wisdom traditions, which combine mostly common sense and love, and not really in theological systems, which traffic mostly in logical argumentation. Our beliefs are much more existential responses of the whole person, a living as if we are loved beyond measure and much less propositional statements. Faith entails a living knowledge OF persons in relationship much more than a knowledge ABOUT. While the propositional, conceptual map-making and knowledge ABOUT does have a place, formatively, it does not enjoy the primacy it has too often been accorded. We can thus exaggerate the significance of getting every theological proposition correct, whether for the life of prayer or for fellowship in community. We can relax, be more patient, less hypercritical of others, more self-critical and not fall into the role of theological Chicken Littles it seems.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Very good post, JB. I totally agree.

I think the essence of religious faith is entrusting openness to God, which enables the Spirit to guide one even if one's theological development is not well worked out. Of course, the question of what enables one's ongoing entrusting openness is a core question in spiritual direction. Beliefs, especially pertaining to one's images of God, are one part of it, and an important part, at that. Still, belief is not the same thing as faith, but it is its intellectual aspect . . . sometimes what we need to lean on when the rest has dried up.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
In other words, we are truly immersed in wisdom traditions, which combine mostly common sense and love, and not really in theological systems, which traffic mostly in logical argumentation.

I've been thinking about this off and on and noted above my agreement with the gist of your post. One clarification I'd offer to your sentence above is that I don't think of theology as being primarily a matter of "logical argumentation." Theology, to me, is a living, breathing intellectual engagement with the mysteries of faith. It is an attempt to understand better God's truths -- about who God is, how God operates, and God's intent for us. This understanding, in turn, does warm the heart and motivate the will; without it, we are weak in our faith, and even when surrounded by loving people in an authentic wisdom tradition, we are vulnerable to all sorts of doubts and temptations. We are also immature in our spiritual development.

More often than not, my directees aren't suffering from too much theological reflection, but from lack thereof, or from "bad theology," or pushy catechesis. They do not think critically enough in matters of faith. Christianity is not simply a religion of the heart; it is also a religion of the mind, and theology is food for the mind. Not everyone needs the same kind of diet, here, of course; one's evolving questions and inquiries tend to lead the way, and I consider these to be invitations from the divine to grow in faith and understanding.

A grave danger these days is to be found in spiritualities that view theology, doctrine, and even "orthodoxy" as obstacles of some kind to spiritual growth. For sure, one can be in one's head, dogmatic, and moralistic, but that's not the fault of theology so much as an attempt to actually evade authentic intellectual engagement with the the faith. Nevertheless, there is a content to the faith, but learning that content is not theology so much as knowledge of one's tradition. This knowledge can become wisdom if we internalize its meanings through critical and meditative reflection while striving to live out its meaning lovingly.

posted Hide Post
hi there! how does one delete posts? Eeker

posted Hide Post
Well put, Phil. You indeed described the wisdom traditions that I was talking about and not the theological systems, by which I meant those that get inextricably bound with any given metaphysic or, worse, its own epistemology. More often, the way I like to say it is that theology is a practical not a speculative science. Wisdom traditions combined with love are doing theology, the practical science, but they needn't be, in my view, best not be, done as comprehensive systems of everything, which necessarily employ formal arguments rather than common sensical intuitions, which are informal and don't rely on the root metaphors of metaphysics. Now, even metaphysics is fine as a probe, to help clarify our questions, but it has little use as a proof, where we imagine we have such answers.

posted Hide Post
kilroy was here

posted Hide Post
At some point, after clarifying the categories and terms of the practical science of our theology of nature (which is theo-ontology, a poetic venture, not an onto-theology or natural theology, a speculative philosophic venture) and perhaps constructing a glossary of sorts, Phil and I hope to segue into matters of practice vis a vis formative spirituality and the life of prayer.

The next topic I wanted to treat was how the 4 senses of scripture cohere with our categories. I still haven't fully developed the compare and constrast of these hermeneutical spirals but I'll share my heuristic below to evoke others' imaginations:

quote:
1) what can i know? or literal or
descriptive (science) or awareness

2) what can i hope for? or anagogical or
evaluative (culture) or hope

3) what must i do? or moral or normative
(philosophy) or love

4) what does this mean? or allegorical or interpretive
(religion) or faith.

Also, in our sorting out of matters re: Ken Wilber's system, in addition to the rather obvious metrics by which we might guage the efficacies of a faith's implicit (or explicit) formative spirituality, such as its fostering of Lonerganian conversions, one very salient feature might come to light in response to the question:
quote:
What practical consequences might ensue from the nature of any given numinous experiences, more importantly from any interpretation of same (which can be rather common sensical and not weighed down by the heavy baggage of arcane, even esoteric, metaphysics or onto-theology), vis a vis 1) somehow, amplifying those numinous encounters 2) enhancing the alignment of the ego-self axis 3) toward the end of augmenting such human-value realizations as articulated in Lonerganian conversion?

This concise question is dense because it is loaded with jargon that requires extensive unpacking. Perhaps we can do that after Lent and some of this will likely be unpacked when Phil shares his Wilber presentation. If you want to engage this depthfully, let me provide some pointers (maybe Phil can provide some hyperlinks when he gets more time).

RE #1 - I am suggesting that complementary (albeit vague)unitary-intraobjective and unitive-intersubjective, God-concepts would be optimal. This is all explicated above in this thread. The nondual aspect of this intuition would ordinarily come last developmentally, sometimes via post-experiential reflection or perhaps a deep metaphysical intuition or otherwise even via philosophical contemplation and might be considered higher in that narrow sense. But it would be otherwise incoherent (in-principle and by definition) to suggest that such complements, whether epistemological or ontological, could somehow transcend but include each other.

In Christianity, our theo-ontologies speak to God's determinate nature via general and special revelation vis a vis the Creator in relationship to creatures but maintains a respectful silence on God's essential, indeterminate nature.

Buddhism remains a respectful silence regarding ontological origins, in general, but takes a great deal of metaphysical liberty regarding teleological destinies, which works out well enough, formatively, I reckon, since it allows for significant developmental impetus, personal dignity/integrity and devotional aspiration (although not as cultic, still with pronounced transformative aims).

As far as Advaita, Wilber's own panentheism is a case in point that Advaita needn't present the developmental conundrums of unnuanced pantheisms and panpsychisms. Of course, Advaita also allows for prominent devotional elements on the pragmatic level.

In each of these traditions, this all serves to mitigate against such obstacles as might be implicitly inferred vis a vis an improperly nuanced (or appropriated or misinterpreted) monistic stance. Of course, quietism can occur in any tradition where elements are 1) explicitly incoherent anthropologically 2) misappropriated 3) misinterpreted 4) insufficiently nuanced, albeit for very different reasons.

RE #2 I believe Phil's dissertation is available for download somewhere on this or a sister site. Or at least some graphics or summaries?

RE #3 Phil has much of Helminiak's schema a la Lonergan archived at Shalomplace, also.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnboy.philothea:
Well put, Phil. You indeed described the wisdom traditions that I was talking about and not the theological systems, by which I meant those that get inextricably bound with any given metaphysic or, worse, its own epistemology. More often, the way I like to say it is that theology is a practical not a speculative science. Wisdom traditions combined with love are doing theology, the practical science, but they needn't be, in my view, best not be, done as comprehensive systems of everything, which necessarily employ formal arguments rather than common sensical intuitions, which are informal and don't rely on the root metaphors of metaphysics. Now, even metaphysics is fine as a probe, to help clarify our questions, but it has little use as a proof, where we imagine we have such answers.

I will share an excerpt from recent correspondence with another friend who had blogged on heresy hunting. It's not directly related to this conversation in every way but has some common touchpoints that elucidate some relevant distinctions:

quote:
Shouldn't the clear conceptual implications of our different approaches also
translate into obvious practical implications for our relationships to self, others, the world and God? Of course they will but those implications will present in varying degrees, more versus less consequential.

We do, after all, have metrics to guage intellectual, emotional, moral, social
and faith developments (thanks to Piaget, Maslow, Kohlberg, Fowler and others) and to guide our conversions (also intellectual, affective, moral, sociopolitical and religious, thanks to Lonergan and Gelpi)?

It is one thing, however, to have our Lonerganian metrics but quite another
to imagine that we also have the sociologic methods to adequately guage their realization among and across populations and religious cohorts (not ignoring that Stanley Jaki and others have made reasonable but still
controversial general cases for one hermeneutic versus another).

Let's return to the essential nature of faith, itself, for more insights into these
questions. Here we might better clarify why it seems to be that conceptual implications don't always translate into practical consequences. The primary reason, in my view, is right here before our eyes in the distinction between
the conceptual and practical!

Different faiths will far more engage what we might call practical existential hermeneutics and far less have anything at all to do with
speculative evidential metaphysics, which involve, instead, what are essentially philosophical preambles. In the practice of faith, as a live (not unreasonable), vital (existentially significant) and forced (not to choose is to choose) option, one will far more engage the participatory, imaginal and
existential and far less rely on the conceptual, propositional and evidential, which is to recognize that theology is much more so a practical, much less so a theoretical, science.

The efficacies of faith present in terms of right relationship to self, other, world and God; these efficacies are not primarily measured narrowly in terms of conceptual coherence but more broadly in those of value-realization,
with an emphasis on those related to love.

Developmentally, more often orthocommunio (right relationship in community) will result moreso from orthopathy (right desires) and orthopraxy (right behavior) and less so from orthodoxy (right beliefs). Put another way, most often, community, cult and code will be robustly practiced even as creed typically will be only vaguely sketched and poorly understood. In our reality, which is radically incarnational and profusely pneumatological, quite often such value-realizations will be much more implicit than explicit, reflecting, then, a degree of unconscious competence. Even when explicit, quite often those conceptualizations will represent caricatures and misconstructions, a degree of conscious incompetence, but with little practical consequence due to the otherwise proper forming of desires and of behaving in community via practices, liturgy, ritual and spiritual formation.

This is all to suggest, perhaps, that, all gnosticism and agnosticism aside, a great deal of practical ignosticism nevertheless prevails even among believers. (Ignosticism suggests that, when it comes to God-concepts,
people aren't even employing coherent definitions or that they are too often assuming too much or employing different definitions even when otherwise coherent). Also, while much has been made of radical apophaticism in recent years, few have seriously critiqued what has
become a predominant radical kataphaticism, which presents both as pietism (an over-emphasis on the affective and kataphatic) and rationalism
(an over-emphasis on the speculative and kataphatic); where faith elements that are primarily interpretive, metaphorical and mythical are misconstrued as being mostly descriptive, metaphysical and literal; where
the participatory imagination fancies itself as doing conceptual map-making; where what is essentially a theology of nature (or theo-ontology), a poetic venture, is received as a natural theology (or onto-theology), a philosophic venture; where the exoteric and mythical crowds out the esoteric and
mystical; where believing and behaving take formative precedence over belonging and desiring; where implicit and existential approaches are denigrated and explicit approaches are fundamentalistic; where the
unconsciously competent is not appreciated and the conscious is manifestly incompetent. Such rationalists might (rightly) acknowledge that one needn't understand the metaphysics and theology of the Eucharist or other sacraments in order for their celebration to be efficacious but not as quick to agree that the same could be true for energy healing or with the manifold and multiform goings on during one's 20 minute sitting (those psychological imbalances, which have often associated with spiritual
mispractice, generally require the therapy of prudential norms - e.g. moderation, not the ministration of theological gnosis - e.g. proselytization).

Of course, not all therapies for practice will involve merely normative and prudential remedies; some may well involve interpretive corrections (think Ignatian imaginative modes and reimaging in spiritual direction). Still,
when interpretive, those remedies will moreso require metaphorical, imaginal and mythical reformulations and not so much metaphysical, conceptual and literal corrections. For example, in this vein, Westerners can acknowledge that reality IS like the unitary interpretation but that, as with the unitive interpretation, what
we have, perhaps and at most, is a successful reference, not a successful description. Furthermore, we can acknowledge that there IS more to be said literally through apophatic predication and negation even while there is no limit on what can be metaphorically affirmed through kataphatic affirmation. The western dualistic mindset often gets caught up in a zen
conundrum regarding, first, there is no mountain, then there is no mountain because it doesn't finish the trialectic with then there is , which returns one to the practical plane where we live and move and have our being, hopefully, in solidarity and
compassion. The unitary interpretation, as with the unitive interpretation, is but part of the truth; both interpretations refer to a LARGE reality and thus convey enormous existential impetus. As mentioned earlier, the unitive
without the unitary has often led to deism, while the unitary without the unitive has often tended toward quietism; held in creative tension, though, they affirm us as created co-creators.

While it is neither ideal nor optimal when folks enjoy poor catechesis and employ impoverished theological conceptions, to the extent they have
otherwise been suitably evangelized and have enjoyed a loving community that has formed their desires and shaped their behaviors through liturgy, sacrament and practice (even if implicitly, whether via most unitary or unitive pathways), for all practical purposes, their formation will have been more than adequate even if suboptimal.

None of this is to suggest that we should not otherwise all aspire to the most nearly perfect 1) articulation of truth 2) celebration of beauty 3) preservation of good and 4) enjoyment of community in order to give God the greatest possible glory (AMDG: ad majorem Dei gloriam). It is to say, however, that we should acknowledge that there is no a priori
theoretical argument that can demonstrate which path would take us to AMDG and that, furthermore, beyond a certain measure of epistemic virtue, any a posteriori demonstration of the practical superiority of one religious stance versus another remains too highly problematical for all sorts of reasons. That's why both proselytizing and heresy-hunting so quickly reach a point of diminishing returns and become counterproductive, even to the point of offending charity.

As it is, heresyhunting does not engage theological method per se; rather, it's essentially a simple exercise in semantics (more akin, really, to mathematical set theory) and only reveals which stance corresponds to which other stance (s); it cannot reveal which stance corresponds to reality. At the same time,via philosophical method, we can measure the epistemic virtue of competing faith stances (but we still can't prove which stance is true, only which employs coherent preambles).

Theological formulations are very often post-experiential reflections on practices (incl liturgical and devotional celebrations) that very efficaciously have already formed us even when we cannot articulate with facility or understand with clarity those formulations, hence, we have an ontogeny recapitulating phylogeny dynamic where the creedal aspects of the faith follow the communal & cultic - not only in the formative development of the individual, but - in the history of a tradition, itself. For example, what does it mean that we have been breaking this bread?

Arraj issued this challenge in Buddhist dialogue regarding whether or not post-experiential reflection on nondual realizations might speak to an intentional nonduality, which sounds very right-headed as such interpretations go, rather than, necessarily, an ontological nonduality.

posted Hide Post