Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marian Devotion - Why so conservative? Login/Join 
posted
Hi,

This is the second thread I'm posting. I was raised Protestant, and one of the things I think is unfortunate is how in those sects/churches devotion to Mary is really downplayed.

A few months ago I went on a day-trip with some friends (who were raised Catholic) to the Monterey area. We stopped in at Mission San Juan Bautista.

I awoke kundalini almost 30 years ago my senior year in college when I went very deeply into prayer with one of the Psalms (after starting my own practice at about age 7). Anyway, after awakening k, one of the things that happened was developing more devotion to the Blessed Virgin (in my heart, not in a public way).

So, anyway, we were at the Mission and I noticed that the shrines in both the garden and inside the Mission are truly sanctified by sincere, heartfelt prayer and dedication (something you don't necessarily run across very often). At least that's what I feel.

Later, I was curious to Google "Marian Devotion" and was surprised to find that this lovely devotion is coupled with ultra-conservatism and even apocalyptic thinking. (Sorry if I'm stepping on toes. I really am interested...Don't know if I'll last long on this forum, but...)

I really don't get it. Why so much love coupled with extremes of fear? I would think that love would encourage more generous and inclusive thinking, not the opposite.

If Marian devotion is for the conservatives, why do the liberals want to hide Mary?

I'm of a devotional temperament, so I understand how emotions need to be tempered or else you get a mess. But that doesn't mean eliminate all of it.

Best,
Mary

Posts: 46 | Location: California | Registered: 14 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the simple answer is that, after the sixteenth century, Marian devotion became a badge of Catholicism; lack of Marian devotion became a badge of Protestantism. Of course, it's not that Marian devotion was something new; it had been a traditional part of Western Christianity for at least a thousand years. Conservative Catholics (and I'm not sure that "conservative" is the right word) simply continue this tradition.

The ones you call "liberal" are trying to be more ecumenical and don't want to do anything that would embarrass or offend their Protestant brethren.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, MaryAnn,

I consider myself conservative, devoted to Mary and not on the extremes of fear Smiler

As far as I know, in Europe and in Poland especially devotion to Mary was traditionally associated with a kind of knightly, gentleman culture. St. Maximillian Kolbe organized a sort of organization of the Knights of the Immaculate One. A bit like scouts. So perhaps young, knightly Christians devoted to Mary is what scares the liberals? Big Grin

Anyway, Derek has a point there.

No need to be afraid of Mary. She's totally transformed into Love and through her flow down all the graces from God. Once I had a kind of "vision", in which there was Mary, completely transparent, like crystall, and in her belly there was little unborn Jesus, shining through her with his light. I guess this is a pictorial way to say what Catholics believe that you cannot by-pass Mary on your way to Christ, since he is in her and his light goes directly through her, the Church is within her. But she does not want to draw our attention, she is transparent, crystal clear, tranlucid, like a window through which you gaze at a beatiful garden. Maybe you somehow noticed the window?

Posts: 436 | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Good topic, MaryAnn, and great responses Derek and Mt. I have nothing to add to what you two have noted.

quote:
Later, I was curious to Google "Marian Devotion" and was surprised to find that this lovely devotion is coupled with ultra-conservatism and even apocalyptic thinking. (Sorry if I'm stepping on toes. I really am interested...Don't know if I'll last long on this forum, but...)

It's similar with Jesus as well, MaryAnn. For example, you'll find biblical fundamentalists who speak of him a certain way (including apocalyptic predictions) and other Christian groups who speak of him differently.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. Beautiful depiction of Mary, Mt.

Gosh, there's so much history stacked on top of all of this.

Very earlier in the Kundalini process when I was really overwhelmed I did have an internal vision of the Madonna. She embraced me with her eyes in unconditional love.

Long ago, my grandmother, who was a Southern Baptist in her youth, told me that her own mother died when my grandmother was only two-years old. She missed her greatly. She prayed every night to get a glimpse of her mother. Finally, after 18 years of praying every single day, she had a vision of a beautiful lady wearing the stars as her crown.

I think when there is sincere prayer, the Madonna is present. (And probably all the rest of the time, too.)

All man-made structures are fairly dubious, especially those lacking transparency and accountability.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MaryAnn,

Posts: 46 | Location: California | Registered: 14 May 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post