Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The God Who Loves Egos Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm getting lost here. What is the difference between "ego" and "Ego"? And is either of them seen as a solid and persistent "thing" rather than merely a convenient label for a temporary configuration of processes within consciousness?

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
You'll have to ask aion about that, Derek. I do not distinguish an ego from an Ego.

Ego in my view is not a "thing" so much as the experience of self/awareness we have as we are actively, intentionally engaged in the world (of duality, of course). This awareness is not separate from the deeper, non-reflective Self (witness) aspect of our human spiritual consciousness.

People can use these terms any way they wish, of course. What I am doing in my book is rooting them in an anthropology that is experientially accessible, congruent, and coherent.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found another one which could be interpreted as the death of ego and the arising of something else:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."

John 12:24

What do you all make of that?

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, I think that works fine for the "death" of an Ego attached to perpetuating a certain image or Persona/mask. That attachment has to give way (die) so that the Ego can discover its deeper roots in Self and God.

I've just finished the semi-final draft of the book. If any of you would like to preview a pdf copy, send me an email (phil@shalomplace.com) and I'll send it over.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was excited to discover John 12:24, but having read it in context now, I see that it comes immediately after a verse where Jesus is talking about himself. However, verses 24-26 do seem to be stating general principles.

I'd love to see what you're writing, but what would be helpful to you? I can give general feedback, I can do copyediting in Chicago/Webster's style, and I might be able to do some typesetting in InDesign.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I got your email and have sent you the document, Derek. Thanks for your offer to help out.

posted Hide Post
Got it. Thanks.