Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Education support and spirituality Login/Join 
posted
I am a Christian, working as a prevention worker in youth care (Flemish Government).
Last year there was ordered a new decree on 'education support' and now we have a job to do as coordinators. We have to work with local governments in order to build networks.
Now I am working within a team of rather moral relativists as the only Christian. I have tried many times to bring in ideas about spirituality, but within this context this is very difficult to do. Is there anyone who can help me find good articles on the issue of 'education and spirituality', but especially on strategies how to reach local communities with spirituality or even Christian belief?
Greetings,
Fred Delameilleure
Ostend (Belgium)

Posts: 123 | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Freddy, I came across an interesting passage in one of John Main's books a few weeks ago. I don't know whether it's true or not, but his idea was so intriguing that it stuck with me. He says that the best way to connect with non-Christians is with silence. So how about putting an item on the agenda -- two minutes of silent sitting? Would that work?

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Derek,

I hear this differently . Could John Main possibly mean that the way to connect with non-Christians is not by suggesting silent sitting, but by our silent presence in their indifference.

Transmission of God's presence comes best to me by being in the presence of unimposed silence.

Beannacht

Posts: 52 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked it up to check. This is from The Way of Unknowing, p. 5:

"Rather than merely denouncing atheism, faith needs to seek a contemporary way to meet the godless in sympathy and compassion. This means discovering an experience in common. We can find this common experience in the silence of God."

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Derek and Clare.
I also think with Clare that transmission og God's presence comes best by being in the presence of unimposed silence. I feel this at work. I am in the midst of a process of self-investigation and I feel how relations change when one chooses for non-judgment and accepting awareness and silence.
But my question above has more to do with strategies since we work with local politicians.

Posts: 123 | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freddy,

Can't help you around the subject of strategies....

sorry about that

Posts: 52 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post