Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Philotheism: Blog by Phil St. Romain  Hop To Forums  Philotheism: Phil's Blog    Taking a stand against purveyors of misinformation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a stand against purveyors of misinformation Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
You've probably heard of artists leaving Spotify because they host purveyors of vaccine and political misinformation. For many of them, this will entail considerable loss of revenue, so their decision is all the more commendable. Whether it turns out to produce the desired effect is unknown at this time, but if enough artists do so and it affects Spotify's bottom line, you can be sure it will influence some degree of change.

Recently, we decided to do something similar with regard to cable TV. Our provider (Cox Communications) had no packages that did not include Fox News, Newsmax and One America Network, all of which have been notorious for spreading vaccine and election misinformation. As such, they have done great harm to American democracy and public health, becoming little more than propaganda arms for the wacky right-wing of American politics. I notified Cox of our decision and asked that they drop these channels, but of course heard nothing in return. So that was that.

But we need TV, right?

Well, not much, at least for me. For the cost of less than one month of cable, we purchased a quality HD TV antenna and now catch a wide range of free programming (including local and network channels) without any additional monthly fees. I also purchased a new Apple TV box, which allowed me to use our wifi to show channels through Sling TV, which offers a variety of packages, some of which do not include Fox, NewsMax or OAN (but do have ESPN, ESPN 2 and ESPN 3 Smiler. Cost is $25 per month and you can add on individual channels missing from the package for a small fee (e.g., Hallmark eventually worked its way in. Wink )

There are plenty of other wifi subscription options besides Sling, but the point is that we don't really have to pay for programming that is harmful to the country. And, no, don't go saying CNN and PBS are just as bad as Fox, etc. That's ridiculous! You can lean left or right without promoting falsehoods like the channels I've mentioned do.

Thanks to the Spotify artists for setting good example.
Now it's our turn.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post