Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cardiac issues, Covid, surgery, etc. Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
I will be undergoing a heart catherization procedure tomorrow morning to examine extent of blockage in arteries around the heart. I've had no symptoms -- chest pain, shortness of breath, etc. -- but recent screenings for cardiac calcium levels and stress test have indicated possible blockage.

I will update with results in a comment when I am able to do so.

- Please pray for a safe procedure and follow-up. Thank you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
This is Lisa. Phil just got the heart cath done. Blockage is in the area that requires open heart surgery. We'll be going straight to the hospital today after 2 hr recovery here. More prayers.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Triple-bypass surgery will be Saturday at noon. In the meantime, I'm in a cardiac ICU room under close observation as they consider my situation precarious. Yesterday I was going up and down four flights of stairs with luggage!
What a situation!

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Heart surgery scheduled for today was canceled because I came down with Covid!
I have no idea where I caught it, not from the hospital if we figure typical incubation times.

We'll try again in 10 days or so and I'll update you here on what is planned. Hopefully we'll get the surgery done this time.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
I just emailed this to quite a few people, and will continue to update here, and on Facebook.

Dear friends, colleagues and spiritual directees,

This is a follow-up to an email some of your received, but others have not, so it might be a little repetitive to the former group.

On Thursday, October 19, I had a heart catherization done to check out blockage to some of the arteries around my heart. The results indicated serious problems, so much so that my cardiologist referred me to a hospital for immediate surgery. She ordered a wheelchair to take me to our car, and they also wheeled me to my room in ICU, where interminable poking and prodding and tests of all unmerciful kinds began. Surgery was scheduled for Saturday the 21st, but that had to be canceled because I developed Covid in the hospital (though I most likely brought it in with me). The "Covid cough" began Friday afternoon and by that evening I had a horrible headache, so was tested for respiratory illnesses and that's how it was diagnosed. Not a good idea to have active Covid patient in a cardiac ICU, so they booted me out of there by Saturday at 1 p.m. Hopefully, no one got sick because of me.

I've received every Covid booster, the most recent one being September 24th, so my symptoms are mild. I'm also on Paxlovid, which seems to be helping. I have no fever today, and am gradually recovering from 48 hours of poor sleep in ICU. It's very disappointing that I wasn't able to receive bypass surgery! Even though I have had no cardiac distress symptoms, I'm apparently in a precarious state of health — one of these people who just drop dead from a massive heart attack. If I had not voluntarily taken and paid for a $95 Calcium CT scan, I would have known nothing about these clogged arteries. So now it's about riding out the 10-day Covid quarantine period after which surgery will be scheduled.

Effective immediately, I am needing to cancel all appointments, meetings, and social engagements. I can do light work on my computer, but only a few minutes at a time. I don't know how long cardiac rehab will take and what will be advisable, but it's likely that I'll be out of commission from now through the month of November. When it seems possible to resume activity, I'll notify spiritual directees and others who schedule meetings and appointments and we can begin to put some things down -- hopefully by late November.

I will be posting health updates from time to time on Facebook (we'd need to be Friends for you to read it; just ask, and I'll say OK), and on my blog.
https://shalomplace.org/eve/fo...4070048/m/3867015383
Questions, comments, experiences welcomed. Several people have already shared about their bypass surgery on Facebook. Very helpful. I'll respond when I can, but will use those two means to update. It's just not possible to reply to all the individual texts and emails or phone calls, though I will read every one with gratitude. It's also fine to write/share about any situation you might need feedback about; I will reply briefly if I can, and will pray for you.

Bypass surgery seems to be rather routine these days, but it's always best to hold such an intervention in prayer. Please do so, for I'm sure it makes a difference.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Day 4 of Covid and good progress in recovery from it. Plaxovid helps, and Delsym knocks out the dry cough, which is the most exhausting part of it.
No word on re-scheduling surgery. I'll post again when I know something.

For those checking in here for updates, you can receive notifications when they happen. You'll see the Notify tab at the top of the window, with options. You need to be a registered member of the forum to receive them, and that's free.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Triple-bypass surgery has been rescheduled for Thursday, November 2nd, 7:30 a.m.
- check in the afternoon before
- hospital stay 3 - 5 days, longer if needed

I've turned the corner on Covid symptoms, thanks to Paxlovid and recent vax booster. So glad I got that done! It doesn't prevent infection, but elevates immune system readiness in case of infection, thereby reducing serious symptoms, hospitalization, and death. I encourage anyone reading this to consider getting a booster.
I am home, resting well, and getting a bit of work done on my computer. I've canceled all appointments until (God-willing) I'm well along the way to recovery, then will probably resume with half-sessions. I will take the initiative in rescheduling.

Through it all I am at peace. When I consider that Weds last week I was going up and down four flights of stairs with luggage at the retreat Center in Great Bend, all the long birding walks I've taken during the past year, the strenuous chores around home, etc. -- it's obvious that I'm fortunate to still be here in fairly good health. I commit my heart to the care of Jesus' heart, and may His will be done.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Took my last dose of Paxlovid for Covid this morning, and am feeling fine -- no cough, fever, etc. Let's pray that it holds up and the "Paxlovid rebound" doesn't happen.

Not much other news to report at this time, and hopefully no more until surgery.

Thanks for checking in.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Well, one significant piece of news: Lisa and I both tested negative for Covid yesterday! Smiler

Surgery is still on for the morning of Thursday the 2nd at Kansas Heart Hospital.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear all this, Phil. I only just read it, as I don’t visit the forum very often these days. I pray for the success and your wellbeing during the surgery tomorrow.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
This is Lisa again. Surgery is over! It was a quadruple bypass. It started later than expected, but all is well. I saw him for a few minutes in the ICU room. I will be able to spend more time tomorrow, and have a conversation with him Smiler. God bless and keep us all.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping us informed, Lisa. So glad to hear the surgery went well.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
This is Lisa on Friday morning, after Phil's heart surgery. He got off the ventilator yesterday evening, says he slept off and on over night, but his pain is at a "2", manageable with Tylenol. He had a walk and feels relieved and happy it's over! Thank you for all the prayers and good wishes!

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
It's still Lisa, on Saturday morning, with more good news to report. Phil is getting stronger -noticeable in his walking distance and confidence over the course of the day. His pain is still negligible, thankfully! He feels better. We are both SO relieved. Glory be to God. Thank you all for all the positive healing prayers and energy you have sent our way. So appreciate it.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
And, again, it's Lisa. Sunday morning with a lovely crisp, clear day in Kansas. Phil would be out birding if he could. But he's still in ICU and yet hopeful, making more physical progress, with a willing spirit to do just one day at a time, one moment at a time. Please continue your prayers and positive energy. We are so grateful.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lisa. I’m glad to hear Phil continues to strengthen.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Good morning, everyone. It's still Lisa, but - Great news - Phil got transferred out of ICU and is in a regular hospital room. The chest drains are out, the tubes are out, what I call the "Frankenstein" port-thing at his neck is out. Lots of relief. Feeling better about it all! Thank you for all your prayers and positives sent to us.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hello, again, it's still Lisa on this Tuesday morning, but perhaps Phil will be discharged from the hospital today. His vitals are okay with meds, his blood sugar has settled down, the coughing continues, but that is expected... It will start to feel like normal to have him back home, sitting in the sunroom watching the birds Smiler. What a surreal experience this has been - and I notice I'm already using past tense! Thank you all SO much for your prayers and support. We have been in great need of them.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
It's me, Phil, today, at home and beginning the slow climb back to health and strength. Lisa has been keeping you posted on progress in recovery so far, but it feels like we are in a more stable period now so health updates won't be as often.
While we're on the topic, she is now sick with fever and head cold symptoms. She tested Covid negative this morning, so we'll keep an eye on that. Please keep her in your prayers for this unfolding situation here.

Thank you for your prayers and expressions of support during this trying time. I know they made a difference.

posted Hide Post
Yay! So good to know you’re home and well, Phil.

posted Hide Post
I'm pleased to hear that you have survived your ordeal and are recovering.

I'm sad that your wonderful 'nurse' is sick. I say a prayer for Lisa's quick return to health.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 November 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks A.J. and Derek. Lisa seems to be doing better.

Good to be home, in 8th day since surgery. Home Health is involved to oversee continuing healing from various incisions. Actually, things are pretty good, on the whole, as the only pain is when I cough, which is often enough! The work of these times is resting, walking, eating a healthy diet, and prayer. There is yet no energy for spiritual direction, writing, or any creative work.

One thing I've noticed is that I have no more neuropathy (numbness) in my toes or tingling in my fingers. Better circulation helps! Smiler

Grateful for your concern, support, and prayers.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Here's a painless test that has somehow been under the radar, but which turned out to be the catalyst for me eventually being diagnosed with significant blockage in my coronary arteries:
- the Coronary Calcium Scan

It's non-invasive, takes only about 5 min. and the score gives an indication of how much calcium is deposited in arteries around the heart. A score higher than 300 indicates greater risk. My score was 974!! And this is what got me to a cardiologist, where we did a stress test and eventually, heart catherization -- 90% blocakge in my left descending arter (widow-maker) and significant percentage in others as well. Eventually . . . quadruple by-pass.

I knew nothing of this scan until my wife had it done as part of troubleshooting some of her own health issues, so I decided, "what the heck, I feel fine, but who knows?" Most likely, I was headed for a serious heart attack in the next few months.

Coronary Calcium Scan isn't covered by Medicare nor by many insurances, but it was "only" $95, which seems a bargain in retrospect.

See link below for more info.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tes...n/about/pac-20384686

posted Hide Post
I’ve heard of it, but only from watching carnivore videos on YouTube. The great argument against a meat-only diet, according to the received wisdom, is that all that saturated fat will block up your arteries. So prominent carnivore Dr. Shawn Baker, after eating a beef-only diet for years, had his calcium measured. He came out with a CAC score of zero!!

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Check out this article.

quote:
The calcium deposits in your arteries are not related to your diet or any supplements you may be taking. They occur because the cells in your blood vessels are not working as they should. They can be a sign of heart disease, or simply of getting older.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informa...fication-of-arteries