Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Philotheism: Blog by Phil St. Romain  Hop To Forums  Philotheism: Phil's Blog    American Catholic Church shifting to traditional practices
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Catholic Church shifting to traditional practices Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
See https://apnews.com/article/cat...93f8cb07483ffc8ed487

Good article on how (for better or worse) the pendulum is swinging back toward traditional Catholic spirituality.
- One glaring error is an assumption that Vatican II (1960s) somehow changed Catholic dogmas. It did not! A distinction needs to be made between belief and practice, recognizing that core beliefs can be expressed in many ways, including liberal and conservative ministries.

Personally, I'm not in the least interested in returning to the Latin Mass, Communion rails, and a narrow, privatized spirituality that neglects social issues like poverty, immigration and climate change. Neither do I care for the clericalism that seems to accompany traditional Catholicism. One of the best things about Vatican II was its affirmation of the priesthood of all believers, and the empowerment of lay ministry that followed. It was such teaching and the renewal movements that accompanied them that re-directed my own career from pursuing a doctorate in biology to formation in Christian spirituality. I would like to see such emphases and possibilities continue for generations to come.

- And you can help out, too, young priests! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Posts: 3960 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post