Find
Notify
Tools

New findings on avoiding Alzheimer's Login/Join

<w.c.>
posted

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's some good advice, err...what was your name again?

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Uncle Pokey! Don't you remember? Uncle Pokey!

posted Hide Post
Seems there's a convergence of research pointing up the health benefits of a good diet and exercise. Amazing that it's taken hundreds of millions of dollars of grant-funded studies to show what common sense pretty much affirms.

"Now eat your broccoli, children!" Razzer

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
I'll have to find the links, but look for a measure called "ORACS." (No Brad, these are not alien creatures assimulated by the Borg . . . although the analogy isn't bad if you reverse it, I guess). I believe it means oxygen radical absorption capacity. In any case, we're talking about antioxidant values maintained in a person's blood stream, available to quench free radicals that seem to be primary culprits in oxidation of cell membranes leading to amyloid-beta deposits, so far the main causal link in Alzhimer's research.

There are some good products out there that give you a moderate or maximum ORAC level daily, which is hard to get just with Vitamins C and E. Typically, berries and other fruits, and vegetable or herb extracts are the best way to go. Eating fresh bluberries, a cup a day, or one third cup of prunes, raises ORAC levels considerably according to research. Also, eating fruit low on the glycemic index, which most berries, and prunes, are, keeps glucose levels from rising too fast prompting increased releases of insulin.

posted Hide Post
Well, I don�t know, WC. I�m pretty sure the ORACS are an alien species who have sparred with Doctor Who. I�ll have to double check on that.

My goodness. One third cup of prunes. The ORACS aren�t the only thing that are going to increase.

Oh, and laughter is another important ingredient to a healthy brain, as I believe we discussed earlier. This wasn�t just me tossing a non sequitur into the middle of an ongoing and otherwise intelligent conversation.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Just remember, Brad, prunes are really just plums. Ripe juicy plums. In with the good, out with the bad . . . . . .

posted Hide Post
Bill Clinton was in town yesterday to raise $300,000,000 for Hillary's 2006 senate race, to build a Columbine High School Memorial and to sign his book.

All the FREE RADICALS were waiting patiently in line behind the secret service agents Wink

freeradicals.org

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Very good Michael. Now shut up and eat your prunes.

posted Hide Post
All the FREE RADICALS were waiting patiently in line behind the secret service agents

Oh, that's a good one, Michael.

posted Hide Post
You guys are making me laugh. Hey, that goes along with another thread! Big Grin

Reading this board can be good for your health! Smiler

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w.c. I've moved the computer into the lav and I'm feeling much better now, but the original topic escapes me ???
radicalmovement.com Wink

<w.c.>
posted
Michael:

Just exactly how many prunes have you eaten in the last 24 hours?

posted Hide Post
Several pounds. Why do you ask? I'm experiencing an unusual memory capacity including many past lives, some dinasaurs and all the way back to the big bang. Hey this stuff is great Smiler I'm having someone deliver my groceries, as I am unable
to leave the lav at the present time.

I imagine Clinton's carpal tunnel syndrome is flaring up after signing over 2000 books Tuesday. Don't worry about the FREE RADICALS. Most of them were let out on a day pass and are wearing ankle bracelets. Wink
mm <*))))><

<w.c.>
posted
Pretty soon, Sandy Burger (Burgler) may be wearing an ankle bracelet, to go with his overstretched socks. Now there's a free radical for you!

<w.c.>
posted
Here's a research paper abstract showing the protective effects of niacin re: Alzheimer's:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en...t&list_uids=15258207

The encouraging thing here is that only low amounts are needed, what most folks get in a multivitamin supplement. High doses of niacin are used to lower cholesterol, but are often toxic to the liver.

<w.c.>
posted
Here's a link to research showing how effective Turmeric seems to be in both preventing and reversing Alzheimer's, at least in animal models. There is so much attention to tumeric in research that it shouldn't be too long before mainstream medicine makes an official comment about its merits. And the preliminary good news for humans is that only relatively small-moderate doses are needed, at least according to naturopathic-trained physicians. It's active ingredient is Curcumin, which is usually how the standardized herb is labeled in health food stores. I've see doctors recommend only one 500mg. capsule twice a day. The only contraindications I've seen are for those folks with gallstones (tumeric liquifies bile), and with active stomach ulcers. Otherwise it is slightly blood-thinning, and so that should be taken into consideration i.e, blood-thinning medication. Since turmeric is in the news, consulting a physician could probably satisfy safety concerns, and is advisable in any case before consuming.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en...t&list_uids=15345806

What seems to be most compelling, so far in the research I've seen, is both turmeric and fish oil. For the latter, the brands "Nordic Naturals" and "Eskimo 3" are considered not only safe in terms of pollutants, but very low in peroxides which can oxidize omega three fatty acids. Tumeric is a powerful protector against oxidation, much more so than Vitamins C and E.

Also recent research showing 30 minutes of walking per day among the elderly to be effective in warding off Alzheimer's. The elder groups weren't thought to benefit from late interventions, but this turns out to have been a premature conclusion

posted Hide Post
Thank you, w.c. As you and others may know, my mother is dying of Alzheimers and, considering the genetics of the disease, I know I'm at risk. Tumeric it is! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your mother, Phil. I didn't know the exact nature of her illness. All I can think of is the closing public words of RWR:

quote:
Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.

I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright new dawn ahead.

posted Hide Post
Also sorry to hear about that, Phil. Frowner That's a tough one!

Maria Shriver made an appearance on The Hour of Power a couple of months ago. Her father has it and she wrote some children's books for grandchildren affected by the illness.

Oprah had a show featuring this issue:

http://oprah.com/tows/pastshow..._past_20040713.jhtml

I experience some dementia and cognitive problems associated with my chronic fatigue syndrome. Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most. Wink

caritas,

mm <*))))><

posted Hide Post
Mom has been in a nursing home over five years. She's comfortable, peaceful, and generally happy. She's also about 5 mos. old in terms of her ability to respond.

What's hardest is there are just so many little "good-byes" along the way as the person you once knew and loved just slowly fades away . . .

So, take your tumeric, zinc, Vitamin C, fish oil, etc. And pray the research may move forward.

<w.c.>
posted
My grandfather died of complications of long-term dementia, perhaps not Alzheimer's, since he still recognized my grandmother and I almost till the end. But it is an excrutiating process of being shorn of all control, and perhaps harder to watch than endure in the final stages, although that is speculation.

Phil, I'm so glad to hear you describe your mother as "peaceful and generally happy." As I do hospice work, it seems those dying in this way enter very deeply into the dream world that we wake up from every morning. Sometimes they emerge from their dreaming for brief, lucid moments, but my sense in working with them (i.e, just being with them in the quiet company of the Self, and the Holy Spirit) is that although their life-long personalities filter much of this inner world, they are generally quite close to its spiritual origins, and lucid in their own way. Sometimes the dreaming has a pleasant quality, and sometimes it is nightmarish, requiring medications, which often seem to ease the most intense suffering.

But just in sitting with them, doing nothing, there is a sense of presence that we sometimes don't see except in those taking their last steps in the dying process. I hope this doesn't over-romanticize your pain, Phil, as these are not my family members, and I know, for families, it is often unbearable to watch such a slow decline and loss of mutual recognition.

posted Hide Post
Those are consoling thoughts, w.c. My Dad sees Mom every day, feeds her supper, and tells her about his day. Sometimes she's alert and recognizes him, sometimes not. She definitely shows recognition with her eyes when she's in an alert period, and tries conversing using what we call her "Alzheimer's language." There are times when she seems to be talking to entities as she stares up at the ceiling, or toward the door; who knows what's going on with her? I trust she is in God's care and am happy that she's not in pain. There are many in the nursing home who are miserable; some, as you know, wither away after they can no longer even eat much.

<w.c.>
posted
Phil and others:

Here are some name brands of Turmeric standardized for curcumin, which I have used.

Jarrow

New Chapter

Jarrow tends to be low-end in cost, and its quality is probably pretty close to New Chapter.

posted Hide Post
Aluminum cans! Yep, Pepsi Cola and Budwieser.

If there is more evidence forthcoming, it's gonna change the beverage industry. Can't remember if it was a regular newpaper or a health magazine I saw that in. Now I try to get my pop in plastic containers if I can.