The Kundalini Process: A Christian Understanding
by Philip St. Romain
Paperback and digital editions; free sample

Kundalini Energy and Christian Spirituality
- by Philip St. Romain
Paperback and digital editions

Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Kundalini and being sick Login/Join
 
Picture of bear
posted Hide Post
The question of sugar is something i have actually wondered for quite a long.

I have heard that sugar should be avoided at all cost, and especially if one has active kundalini. It causes inflammation and all kinds of bad things.

Then I have also heard that sugar in a natural form is good -fruits, dried fruits, honey. And that to like sweet is of sattvic taste, children like sweet and its natural. That its ok to eat sweet as long as it is in a natural form.

I google and I find that it seems research says added sugar is inflammatory but sugar in a natural form is not, and the natural products (e.g. fruits) may in fact be anti-inflammatory. I remember a study where pregnant women eating 3 dates daily eases the child labour -even though one would think dates are mostly sugar and thus bad.

Of course any excess amount of sugar is bad already because of the empty calories.

But I wonder if the link between sugar - bad stuff is because the studies traditionally study the effects of sugar in its processed form?

Or do I miss something here? I am somewhat biased as I want to have reasons to eat sweet. Smiler
 
Posts: 28 | Location: Finland | Registered: 14 October 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, bear, I speak not as a scientist but as one who was recently diagnosed with diabetes, which fortunately went into remission after three months on a low-carb / low-sugar diet.

My source of scientific information is Dr. Jason Fung's new book, The Diabetes Code.

Ordinary sugar (sucrose) is a molecular combination of glucose and fructose. This kind of sugar is to be avoided completely by diabetics and pre-diabetics, says Dr. Fung. Likewise commercial products that contain added sugar, or even the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup, are to be avoided.

As for the natural fructose found in fruit, Dr. Fung advises, "the dose makes the poison." Human beings in nature would eat fruit only for the 3-4 months of the year when it was in season. Also, today's fruit varieties have been bred to be sweeter than the natural fruit of our pre-industrial past. At the same time, I'm not aware of any studies that show that fruit by itself can cause diabetes. The blame is put mainly on table sugar (sucrose) and refined carbohydrates, which the body rapidly metabolizes into glucose.
 
Posts: 934 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
Welcome back, Tucker! Smiler

Yes indeed -- got to get the biochemistry right for things to work properly.

I've tried a number of diets through the years and the only thing I can say with assurance is that too much junk food and alcohol is very bad for k. Allergenic foods, too. Beyond this, I think diet should be simply well-balanced, with a focus on whole foods and including a good mix of protein sources, complex carbs and even some fats. We need to give the body what it needs to function optimally, and I'm not convinced that a vegan/vegetarian diet is the way to go.

Of course, if one is diabetic or trying to lose some weight, a low-carb, ketotonic diet might be good for awhile, but the body really does need glucose for energy, and turning proteins and fats into glucose takes extra steps for metabolism, with lots of stress on the kidneys. I lost weight with the Atkins diet, but my blood pressure went up, too, and I wasn't sleeping well.

So, yes: exercise! That's the one variable we'd rather minimize as it's . . . work! But even here, we need to find the right kind of exercise -- something that works out the heart and keeps the body in tone without being too willful and depleting of energy.

The general rule seems to be "moderation in all things." :-)


I agree with you Phil 100%. I am on a no or low inflammation causing foods diet and more exercise to see if that will help with my legs cramping up. Medical science can't find anything wrong with me so I am trying diet change. I still eat a little sugar and some carbohydrate though Smiler and yogurt with live probiotics in it. Mostly though I am eating a lot of raw vegetables with chicken and eggs as a protein source. Apparently I am on a diabetes II diet but I don't have diabetes. And apparently I was on a diabetes II causing diet before I changed my eating habits. I am in perfect health except that the backs of my legs cramp up. Old muscles, who new Smiler .

love, tucker
 
Posts: 382 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
Hi, bear, I speak not as a scientist but as one who was recently diagnosed with diabetes, which fortunately went into remission after three months on a low-carb / low-sugar diet.

My source of scientific information is Dr. Jason Fung's new book, The Diabetes Code.

Ordinary sugar (sucrose) is a molecular combination of glucose and fructose. This kind of sugar is to be avoided completely by diabetics and pre-diabetics, says Dr. Fung. Likewise commercial products that contain added sugar, or even the dreaded high-fructose corn syrup, are to be avoided.

As for the natural fructose found in fruit, Dr. Fung advises, "the dose makes the poison." Human beings in nature would eat fruit only for the 3-4 months of the year when it was in season. Also, today's fruit varieties have been bred to be sweeter than the natural fruit of our pre-industrial past. At the same time, I'm not aware of any studies that show that fruit by itself can cause diabetes. The blame is put mainly on table sugar (sucrose) and refined carbohydrates, which the body rapidly metabolizes into glucose.


Your post was very helpful to me Derek! Thank you Smiler !
love, tucker
 
Posts: 382 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been learning a lot about nutrition these last few months. One thing I’ve learned is that a huge proportion of the population is eating food likely to lead to problems in the long term. The low-carb diet has worked wonders for me. Really miraculous reductions in blood pressure and blood sugar. So for the next three days, I’m going to try a more hardcore experiment on keto/IF. You’re welcome to join me if you’d like to. Here’s the plan: https://mobile.twitter.com/der...s/985972074131873792
 
Posts: 934 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Low-carb/Ketogenic diets are fine for losing weight and as a way to deal with diabetes, imo. They are not "natural," however, and there's some research indicating that this kind of diet over the long haul can stress the kidneys. As I mentioned earlier, it led to high blood pressure for me, so I added more complex carbs to my diet. Even the Atkins diet recommends doing so, and the Paleo diet, which probably most closely approximates that of our ancestors, also allows for some carbs.
- See https://www.livestrong.com/art...s-and-kidney-stones/ for one of many article on prolonged ketogenic diet and kidney stress.

Re. Kundalini -- the watchword is the usual, "see what happens when you eat this or that, including sugar." Everyone's physiology will respond differently, and much depends on where one is in the process. We also have different allergenic foods, so it's difficult to proscribe a "one-diet-fits-all" for kundalini.
 
Posts: 3580 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That article is talking about low-carb, high protein. The modern diet is LCHF or low-carb, high fat (some versions are low-carb, healthy fat). Protein consumption is moderate. For me it would be 4 oz meat or fish per meal. Also, Dr. Jason Fung, who wrote the book, is a nephrologist. If he doesn’t know kidneys, no one does.
 
Posts: 934 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humm Smiler ? Guys this is very interesting! The chiropractor that I have been going to see if he can solve my leg muscles cramping problem takes a holistic approach to being healthy including periodic spinal adjustments of course. And he is promoting Derek's diet if Derek's diet also includes a lot of raw vegetables and a daily probiotics pill and it is not actually a high protein diet. It calls for only the amount of protein that the body needs to repair itself, whatever is the daily requirement for your weight class. Protein, fat, and a lot of high fiber vegetables with daily probiotics. Minimal to no sugar (sucrose, fructose, and lactose because they all cause inflammation) and no cereal grains or processed foods.

The key to this diet is moderate amounts of protein and fat, no sugars (sucrose, fructose, or lactose), and lots of raw high fiber vegetables with a daily intake of probiotics. Why the probiotics? Because the probiotics bacteria digests the vegetable fiber and converts it into easy to assimilate sugars, as will as give off Lactic acid that keeps your intestinal track healthy and your blood chemistry a neutral ph. Without the "lots of high fiber vegetables, preferably raw", the diet does not work. My chiropractor thinks that the sugars are coming from the proteins and fats when in actuality the majority of the sugars are coming from the vegetable fiber that is being broken down by the probiotics bacteria in the large intestine. Smiler

And you should only have to take the probiotics pill once a month as long as you are feeding the cultures that are living in your large intestine a lot of high fiber vegetables. And these probiotic bacteria that are living in your large intestine are also a good source of balanced protein. Which is probably why Gorillas don't need to eat very much animal protein and can live on a mostly high vegetable fiber diet.

So Derek Smiler , what is the story about your "grindage" intake? and are there any probiotics involved in your diet?

Love, tucker
 
Posts: 382 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Tucker, I don't even know what probiotics are. My basic diet came from Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution. There are three phases to it:

Phase 1. "Teardown." Eat lots of leafy green vegetables, and about 4 oz meat, fish, eggs, or cheese with every meal. The fiber comes from the large intake of vegetables every day and not from grains, of which he largely disapproves.

Phase 2. "Restoration." Increase the amount of vegetables, and reduce the meat, fish, eggs, or cheese to maybe 2 oz per meal.

Phase 3. "Longevity." Aim to eat 60% of your vegetables raw.

Of course, I am simplifying an entire book into three paragraphs here, so I am necessarily missing out a few hundred pages of details! It goes without saying that sugar and refined carbohydrates are banned. You can eat low glycemic index fruit when it is in season.

Since starting the diet in January, I have subsequently been influenced by the low-carb movement and also by the high fat or healthy fat movement (i.e., "LCHF" when combined). Those ideas are already present in Dr. Gundry's book, though perhaps without using those exact terms. (His book dates from 2008, and this is a fast-moving field.)

Finally, from Dr. Jason Fung's book, which I already mentioned, I picked up on the value of intermittent fasting ("IF"). I also read Derek Prince's book, How to Fast Successfully. I haven't yet reconciled in my mind the Christian motivation for fasting with the medical motivation.*

This three-day "cheese omelette fast" has no fiber in it and is intended only to be very short term, simply to prompt the body into fat-burning mode.

-----

* In the chapter "What Is the Purpose of Fasting?" of the book How to Fast Successfully, Derek Prince gives these reasons for fasting:

1. To humble oneself. "I humbled myself with fasting" (Psalm 35:13).

2. To draw closer to God. "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

3. To discern God's will and receive direction. "I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us" (Ezra 8:21).

4. To seek healing, physical or mental. "Your healing shall spring forth speedily" (Isaiah 58:8). "This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting" (Matthew 17:21).

5. To ask God to intervene in some overwhelming crisis (2 Chronicles 20:3).

6. As an aid to intercession and prayer on behalf of others.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Derek,
 
Posts: 934 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
Hi, Tucker, I don't even know what probiotics are. My basic diet came from Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution. There are three phases to it:

Phase 1. "Teardown." Eat lots of leafy green vegetables, and about 4 oz meat, fish, eggs, or cheese with every meal. The fiber comes from the large intake of vegetables every day and not from grains, of which he largely disapproves.

Phase 2. "Restoration." Increase the amount of vegetables, and reduce the meat, fish, eggs, or cheese to maybe 2 oz per meal.

Phase 3. "Longevity." Aim to eat 60% of your vegetables raw.

Of course, I am simplifying an entire book into three paragraphs here, so I am necessarily missing out a few hundred pages of details! It goes without saying that sugar and refined carbohydrates are banned. You can eat low glycemic index fruit when it is in season.

Since starting the diet in January, I have subsequently been influenced by the low-carb movement and also by the high fat or healthy fat movement (i.e., "LCHF" when combined). Those ideas are already present in Dr. Gundry's book, though perhaps without using those exact terms. (His book dates from 2008, and this is a fast-moving field.)

Finally, from Dr. Jason Fung's book, which I already mentioned, I picked up on the value of intermittent fasting ("IF"). I also read Derek Prince's book, How to Fast Successfully. I haven't yet reconciled in my mind the Christian motivation for fasting with the medical motivation.*

This three-day "cheese omelette fast" has no fiber in it and is intended only to be very short term, simply to prompt the body into fat-burning mode.

-----

* In the chapter "What Is the Purpose of Fasting?" of the book How to Fast Successfully, Derek Prince gives these reasons for fasting:

1. To humble oneself. "I humbled myself with fasting" (Psalm 35:13).

2. To draw closer to God. "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you" (James 4:8).

3. To discern God's will and receive direction. "I proclaimed a fast there at the river of Ahava, that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us" (Ezra 8:21).

4. To seek healing, physical or mental. "Your healing shall spring forth speedily" (Isaiah 58:8). "This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting" (Matthew 17:21).

5. To ask God to intervene in some overwhelming crisis (2 Chronicles 20:3).

6. As an aid to intercession and prayer on behalf of others.


Well Derek Smiler your Dr. Gundry's diet seems to fit what I have been learning and attempting to put into practice. The only thing missing is the extra Probiotics which you might not be needing because the probiotic bacteria are usually already in one's lower digestive track and the sixty percent raw vegetables suggested in Dr. Gundry's diet is what these bacteria eat or live on. Actually what they apparently live on or eat is the soluble fiber part of the vegetable fibers. These bacteria are also in "live culture" containing "yogurt". So you can either buy them as a pill or eat a little yogurt that has live cultures in it at least once a month because it doesn't hurt to do so Smiler with the understanding that you might not need too. The internet has a lot of stuff on probiotics if you want to have a look at it Derek. But, they are expensive and they want you to take them daily which you do not need to do if you feed them.

About fasting, I haven't got that far yet Smiler , but everybody agrees that it is good for one to do and fasting also can bring one closer to God.

Love, tucker
 
Posts: 382 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bear
posted Hide Post
Regarding probiotics, an option is to drink daily kombucha and/or kefir (on milk or water) that you make yourself and are probiotic. You just need to get kombucha/kefir from someone (fb group maybe) and it is close to free. Also they taste nice. Smiler

I guess the talk about which diet is best can be endless. Everyone agrees vegetables are healthy but may disagree in other aspects. I feel also culture has its effect; here we had this low-carb diet very popular some years back but its not "hot" anymore and I feel more trendy here now is to eat more ethically -to eat less meat (even in schools they may have once a week a vegetarian lunch), to eat more local, and to buy organic. And to eat less processed food and more of "home made". No longer we are so concerned of protein because the news have been highlighting the last years we are consuming even too much protein and that eating too much of animal fat is bad. That stopped the wide spread trend of low carb diets here I think.

Choosing or following a certain diet is definitely a complex process with many influencing factors. Thankfully we all agree on the goodness of veggies. Smiler That´s probably the key anyway.
 
Posts: 28 | Location: Finland | Registered: 14 October 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
......I've tried a number of diets through the years and the only thing I can say with assurance is that too much junk food and alcohol is very bad for k. Allergenic foods, too. Beyond this, I think diet should be simply well-balanced, with a focus on whole foods and including a good mix of protein sources, complex carbs and even some fats. We need to give the body what it needs to function optimally, and I'm not convinced that a vegan/vegetarian diet is the way to go. -------

The general rule seems to be "moderation in all things." :-)



As I recall Phil you use to recommend a vegetarian diet. Just wondering how you came to change this belief?

Thanks
 
Posts: 386 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tucker: I am in perfect health except that the backs of my legs cramp up. Old muscles, who new Smiler .

love, tucker




Hi Tucker

I may be way off base here but it may be of use to someone else. When I hear of the back of the legs throbbing/aching I
think of stress in the heart which could be before anything shows up medically.

All the best
 
Posts: 386 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Sue:
quote:
Originally posted by bear:
The question of sugar is something i have actually wondered for quite a long.

I have heard that sugar should be avoided at all cost, and especially if one has active kundalini. It causes inflammation and all kinds of bad things.

Then I have also heard that sugar in a natural form is good -fruits, dried fruits, honey. And that to like sweet is of sattvic taste, children like sweet and its natural. That its ok to eat sweet as long as it is in a natural form.

I google and I find that it seems research says added sugar is inflammatory but sugar in a natural form is not, and the natural products (e.g. fruits) may in fact be anti-inflammatory. I remember a study where pregnant women eating 3 dates daily eases the child labour -even though one would think dates are mostly sugar and thus bad.

Of course any excess amount of sugar is bad already because of the empty calories.

But I wonder if the link between sugar - bad stuff is because the studies traditionally study the effects of sugar in its processed form?

Or do I miss something here? I am somewhat biased as I want to have reasons to eat sweet. Smiler



Hello Bear
Recently I heard that a test that is used to find cancer tumors is full of refined sugar. That the refined sugar feeds
the cancer cells. The same was not said about natural forms of sugar from fruit, vegs. within limits. Found this website
https://beatcancer.org/blog-po...ar-are-best-friends/
 
Posts: 386 | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Sue:
quote:
Originally posted by Tucker: I am in perfect health except that the backs of my legs cramp up. Old muscles, who new Smiler .

love, tucker




Hi Tucker

I may be way off base here but it may be of use to someone else. When I hear of the back of the legs throbbing/aching I
think of stress in the heart which could be before anything shows up medically.

All the best


Hi Mary Sue

Maybe Smiler .

Love, tucker
 
Posts: 382 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3