Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Energies, Occultism and Spirituality Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Jacques, what might be more helpful is to think of these energies as part of "consciousness." When we look at things that way, then the issue of the quality of consciousness communicating the energy becomes something to consider. That would apply more to reiki and healing practices than to tai chi.

I don't think you're wrong in considering a wide range of alternative health practices. Just be careful about the ones that come through the consciousness of others.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
think of these energies as part of "consciousness."
Okay Phil, I think that this is rather new ground for me. Are you saying that the energies are not simply part of the natural world like water and oxygen, but rather originate in or form some part of our psyche? Does that mean that the eastern concepts of world energy i.e. meridians in the physical body, manipulatble through acupuncture or reflexology and the universe being filled with chi or prana that makes up the metaphysical level of the world in the same way atoms make up the physical part, is incorrect?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was speaking more about energies mediated through human contact, like reiki, and I earlier suggested that the Christian practice of laying on of hands in prayer to the Holy Spirit would be a safer alternative.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jackues, the point is not weather the law of nature is correct or not. The main thing to understand is that not all spiritual experiences originate from the higer realms. When a person dwells in reiki or other type of spirituality they are indeed having spiritual experience. The question is does this spiritual experience originate from a holy or an unholy spirit? Many people participate in many New Age practices without knowing they are drawing to themselves impure energy. We humanbeings don't know what happen beyond our physical world. We can have spiritual experience and sense it but we can never be sure on the purity of the spirit. It is for this particular reason that Christ came down to Earth. Through him we can have contact with the spurce of pure energy without manipulated by evil forces. He provide this protection freely. That is what Salavation means in practical terms. Therfore, it is very crucial to believe in Christ. He is the source of pure spirit and through him we can retract our original nature (which is our image of God). Christ is the way out from the Fall, from the ignorance we are sitting on. Ignorance is the consequence of Fall. Ignorance makes us insensitive to impure energies. Consequently we bacame easily targeted by our enemy Satan. So, it is really very crucial to believe in Christ as our personal saviour.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Phil, I reread your post and it makes more sense to me now.

I know I am being difficult or atleast I perceive myself to be giving you a hard time with all my questions. I suppose though that you really are one of the few people that I know (only through your writings on this website of course), who has any understanding of these things and yet who also appears to be 100% committed to and devoted to Christ. And so I would rather be asking you these things than anybody else.

Thank you for all your help!

I do realise that you have answered my questions already, but i suppose I still feel unsure about some of the issues involved. I do not mean to say that you have not answered my questions, but i suppose I ask with preconceived hopes and ideas and while your answers are correct, they do not always speak to these sublevel ideas/concepts in my mind. I will try to reflect more on these things before asking any questions. Except this one last one, and you only have to answer if you know what I mean/ or rather sense something: Do you sense in me through my writings anything that I should be careful of in my interests or questions?

Much love in the Lord Jesus
Jacques

Oh and Grace, thank you for your post, I fully agree with what you said, but am still trying to distinguish between the energies and how much I can relate to them via say taichi or something else and remain safely within the limits of pure spiritual experience. And it may be said that I shouldn't have to worry about the energies at all, but if they are natural experiences or part of my/our natural makeup then they should be able to be explored in the same way a scientist explores the physical world, or a psychologist explores the mind.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jacques, maybe instead of asking what you should be careful about, you could reflect more on your motives for wanting to do tai chi, reiki and whatever else (keeping the feedback you've already gotten in mind). Why would you be pursuing some of these practices? What would you be hoping to have happen? How do you see the practice in terms of the overall Christian journey?

If you're at peace in your responses to these questions, then that would be a good sign re. your engaging the practice. If you're not sure, however, then it would be best to wait for further clarity.

posted Hide Post
Hey Phil,

I took your advice and spent some time reflecting on motive and desired outcome and this is what I came up with.

I feel blocked in many areas of my life, psychologically, physically and spiritually.

I feel that working with the energies that form the building blocks of the processes that have caused these blocks may enable me to force progress in these blockages. Many of these blocks do in some may affect my spiritual life, but not necessarely all of them. But I certainly feel that working with the energies may force growth and development and a movement into higher levels of life.

I feel that the energies may give me strength, perseverance and insight into spiritual realities that may enable growth.

Even as I reflected on these things, I realised that all of this may very well be the "job" of the Holy Spirit. But I still cannot get over the thought that working with the energies may aid this process. But still I am not sure and do not want to do anything that will negatively affect my relationship with God.

My desired outcome is a fuller, truer life in service to and in relationship with Jesus Christ, God the Father and the Holy Spirit.

What do you think?

posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me, Jacques. Just keep reflecting on what you're doing.

posted Hide Post
jacques, I just want to add one point here. I understand your interest on energies. Do you feel energy movement in your body? If the answer is yes pray always to Christ that the energy will be guided by Holy Spirit. If you don't feel any kind of energy movement then you don't need to be worried or think on energies. Just simply do your focus on Christ and Holy spirit will guide you what to do.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Grace,

When I used to do drugs, I was involved in more direct energy work. I meditated to open the chakras and felt some energy movement.

Now that I have not done anything to directly stimulate the energies in years there is not much felt movement. Only sometimes a bit of "watery" pressure in my forehead which I think might be energy, but not 100% sure.

But why should I not stimulate energy movement if I feel none. Is it not like saying we shouldnt eat right or think right if we do not perceive that doing that will lead to growth and development physically and psychologically?
just wondering?

Much love in the Lord Jesus
Jacques

posted Hide Post
"But why should I not stimulate energy movement if I feel none."

Jacques, do you know why you feel none? Don't try to change your reality (in this case your feeling of nothingness) by your effort. Many times our ego works in a very subtle way to obstract us from our true nature. Try to stay with this question always aware that Christ helps you. Eventhough we have limited spiritual awareness, we receive the benefit of the cleansing via the body of Christ. This is what we call Grace. This process relies little on spiritual knowledge. It is simply not necessary to put so much effort into becoming spiritually educated and activiting energy. To the pure of heart, none of these things matter. If we believe on Christ and have faith this is more than enough. We don't need to complete by other staffs. It by itself is complete. What we need to do is fully prepared to surreneder our false self and always faithfull on Christ no matter what happen on the surface.

posted Hide Post
"what we need to do is fully prepared to surrender our false self and always faithfull on Christ no matter what"

Which brings me back to the reason I originally asked the question about energies. Because perhaps working with the energies will help me to surrender my false self and my energies are brought into alignment and I operate out of my higher chakras (or however else it may work). Why can we use psychology to help us surrender our false selves but not energy work?

But i must state again Grace, I agree completely with your focus on Christ. I suppose I wonder why it seems I have to make a choice between energies or Christ as if I were having a competition between the two. There can be no competition, Christ is above all!

<w.c.>
posted
Jacques:

I haven't followed your thread closely, so my stepping-in here may be out of synch. But I'd offer that one important distinction between therapy and energy work is the containing environment of the relationship. Tendencies of the false self can be fairly resilient, and the honesty and compassion and mirroring of another soul brings them to light in an often very different way than attempts to cultivate kundalini through techniques. This applies, imo, even regarding devotional life, which can run astray via isolation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

As I posted on the Christian Spirituality thread, I'm seeking guidance on the use of Reiki as a Christian believer who does not wish to be misguided accidentally into the occult. I've read some posts from a few years ago on this subject, and am wondering what people who are presently active think about it. I'm confused, some seem to say it's a good thing, and not occult while others seem to think it is dangerous. Can anyone offer any clarity to me? Thank you. Carole

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carole, the discussions we've had here have yielded a variety of opinions, as I'm sure you noted from the threads I referred you to. You'll find the same variations doing a search on the net; some say it's dangerous as unsavory spirits might creep in, while others who do this as a form of laying on of hands ask the Spirit to work through the process.

What has been your personal experience with reiki? I've only been exposed once and that was with a Christian massage therapist; can't say it did anything for me one way or another.

Personally, if the reiki therapist wasn't Christian and wasn't consciously asking the Spirit to channel, I'd stay away from it. Others might disagree. Let's hear some more from you.

posted Hide Post
In response to your suggesting I write more, Phil, here it is. I need advice, and I guess you have given it to me by the way of saying that unless the Holy Spirit is the one being evoked by a Reiki Therapist, best not to do it. And that makes sense to me, but I�m going to offer more of my experience anyway to see if anyone has suggestions to me��
OK, briefly. I�ve been a Christian believer for over 30 years, and got involved in the healing ministry about 20 years ago, primarily with the teachings of Francis and Judith McNutt. Throughout these years I have evolved my own approach to healing which involves asking the Holy Spirit to bring to consciousness (if not already there) what needs to be healed, experiencing the memory or feelings to the fullest through a kind of meditation of somehow gathering, collecting up all of myself in a very focused manner and holding it before Christ as an offering to unite it with His heart. In this process I have found great healing. Also many years ago I began to have many mystical type experiences which I assumed to be of the Holy Spirit, and was told by one person it was Kundalini awakening, which I knew nothing about, and paid no attention to because I was cautious to stay within Christian realms and avoid the demonic. Since recently reading some of the posts on this site, I realize it was indeed, Kundalini awakening, and I need not fear, though at the time it was indeed a roller coaster ride. I clung to Jesus. All that has mellowed out in time, and I am more emotionally stable. I continue to pray for a deeper relationship to Jesus.

So here I am now, with my question about Reiki. I am disabled with chronic illnesses: adrenal exhaustion, chronic fatigue and intolerance to the most common of chemicals, fragrances, laundry detergents, building supplies, etc., the list is endless, which confines me to my home much of the time. I have moved to Vermont for my health where pollution is less and air quality is better and there is a higher consciousness with regard to pesticides and chemicals in general. I and know no Christian believers and am not able to connect with church folk, or any folk for that matter because of my illness. To help deal with this I have begun to go to a counselor who was recommended to me. As it turns out she is also a Reiki therapist and began to do that work with me. Basically I lie on a table and pray for Christ and for the Holy Spirit to lead and bring healing. She prays to whatever, and then under her direction I enter into either a psychic or bodily discomfort and she uses acupressure points to help me release energy. Her process seems to be like mine, which is to feel the feeling deeply until it passes and another feeling is brought to the surface. In repeating this process I seem to get to the bottom of the issue where the Holy Spirit comes in to offer grace and healing. All the while the therapist is moving to different pressure points on my body and leading me into myself. She thinks in terms of chakras. I guess she does use symbols at times and does some things I don�t understand, like she said she created a �hole� above my intestinal area that would stay open for three days from which I could consciously release agitated energy, though nothing she said could enter��sounds like visualization to me. This is kind of what has happened in the sessions, and I have left feeling much better, freer and stronger and healthier in general. I have a couple of times craved the experience of communion (I have gone back and forth from Catholicism and Protestantism over the years, depending upon where I have been living and where I have felt the spirit to lead�.not very traditional in this I suppose), but can�t be in a church full of people so am not able to do so.

I�ve never posted such a long post to any on line group and feel pretty stupid for doing so. I�m not sure why, but I�m sending this off anyway. I guess ultimately I�m suspicious and uncomfortable with the therapist using �guides�, people who are dead but whose spirits come back to help with healing�..but also it has been such a positive and growing experience to date it seems a shame to give it up�..what do you all think? Can you offer me opinions/advice? Thank you all so much. This in itself is an exercise in humility to take up so much space.
Carole

posted Hide Post
Hello Carole, it has been my understanding that entities are involved in most Reiki treatments, and that they don't have your best interests in mind. I've sent you a private message about it. Hope it helps.

Love,
dhyana

Posts: 30 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Carole,

I appreciate your testimony, and my heart goes out to your state of isolation and sort of entrapment. It seems NOT RIGHT to me that you cannot get out to be amongst those who can most help you--the Body of Christ.

I'm with Mys Dhyana on the potential dangers of Reiki and anybody who is laying hands on you and praying to "whatever," as you put it.

Have you thought of going to a Christian healing service? Here's a website for the International Association of Healing Rooms.

https://secure.healingrooms.co...php?src=region&l=us1

My son appears to be healed of migraines that he had for about three years, nearly every few weeks, since I took him to our local Healing Rooms several months ago. He hasn't had one since.

Also, have you thought of getting yourself on a Christian intersessor's prayer list? Francis and Judith MacNutt's ministry has several hundred intersessors who pray earnestly, I'm told, for the sick.

wishing you Christ's healing love! Smiler

Shasha

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mys Dhyana,

I've had contact with some folks who feel there's no problem with being a Christian Reiki practioner. If you don't mind, can you share with me also your understanding about their use of entities and what you've experienced or heard about? I might want to pass on more information to them if it seems right.

Thanks. Peace to you, Shasha

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Shasha,

I wasn't referring to "Christian" practitioners. I never ran across any of them. lol!

Love, dhyana

Posts: 30 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi there,

Has anybody every heard of Quantum touch , their official website: http://www.quantumtouch.com/

It seems to be "non spiritual" and I am interested in it as an energy therepy not connected to any form of spirituality.

Truth be told I am thinking about exploring it with an aim to practicing as a healer. Just a thought for now, but maybe others have some experience with the therapy.

posted Hide Post
Just looks like another type of energy manipulation, Jacques. Don't know how you can say this is "non-spiritual" as all energy work seems rooted in our spiritual beings. Everything mentioned above still applies here.

And hi, Carole! I'm with the others in recommending caution where reiki is concerned. All the stuff you hear from practitioners about "universal healing energy" is misleading. Grace's post above seems very appropriate.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jacques,

I'm with Stephen here.

I'd encourage you to check out MacNutt's School of Healing Prayer if you're thinking of practicing healing. You must, really. I just completed level 1 of 3. They've been doing this for 30 some years and have worked out many of the kinks. You will be tremendously blessed.

http://www.christianhealingmin.org/school.htm

God bless your family, those little ones especially!

posted Hide Post
Thank you all, very much for your input. Seems to be a concensus here. Interesting that you, Shasha, brought up the MacNutt's School, as that is the one that I've been involved with, almost since inception 30 or so years ago, and I've completed level three in their training as well. I am going to try to reconnect with that ministry and hopefully will find a group here in Vermont, as I live about an hour from where the teaching conferences have been held in Rutland VT every spring. I will pray that I will find a few people who are willing to accommodate my needs in terms of the chemical-free environment I require enough so that I might be able to be in their presence for an hour or so.

Thank you all again.
Carole

Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mys_Dhyana:
[qb] Hi Shasha,

I wasn't referring to "Christian" practitioners. I never ran across any of them. lol!

Love, dhyana [/qb]
I see ads, even in our Catholic Telegraph, about nuns practicing Reiki. I think that intent plays a major part. God heals in different ways.. but then on the other hand, why not just pray the "old fashioned" way with laying on of hands. That's what Jesus told us to do.. Lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post