New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amish/Mennonite traditions Login/Join 
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Hi Ryan, and all..

I haven't read these replys yet, but I find it most amusing that you are discussing powwowing. I just read a book by Beverly Lewis.. fictional stories about Amish life.. I read almost all of her books, so I know pretty much about the Amish and Mennonites..

Anyway, pow-wowing is accepted by some, and it much frowned upon by others.. I saw the name "Herr" somewhere here too.. One of the main characters in the book was Adele Herr.. I think she was fictional tho.

Great to see you, Ryan. I wondered what became of you. :-) BTW, my H still goes to the Mennonite church.. sometimes I go with him. They are a very small group, but are really great and caring people.

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel Jaffe:
...Either I'm too easily amused since I still smile to myself at such a dim lightbulb moment, or that really was funny...I can't tell which. Or maybe you'd have to see the fork.

I laughed out loud. I think you are pretty funny. Thanks for sharing your delightful self and humor with us. Smiler

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shasha, thank you for the kind spirit that comes through in your words. I was a bit of a muscle-sore, tired grouch at some points yesterday--your kindness was cheering.

Katy, there was a woman named Anna Maria Jung, "Mountain Mary", in this area more than 200 years ago who you may find interesting.

I'm starting to think that powwowing has such a mixed reputation because it seems to cover a wide range of practices--from those which are consistent with core Christian faith to outright magic. Maybe its practices fall less on a continuum than I previously assumed; IOW, not all its expressions are compatible, and at least some of the powwowers realize that.

Posts: 578 | Location: east coast, US | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Ariel Jaff,

And the hex doctor in the Amish novel was called "Blue Johnny". :-)

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post