Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Movie, "Wide Awake" Login/Join

Picture of Eric
posted
I found this movie to be very enlightening. It is about a Catholic School boy who loses his grandfather. He tries to find a way to connect to God to get answers. I won't give away the ending but this movie was so beautiful...

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great recommendation, Eric. I�m definitely putting that on my "to do" list. Thanks.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
It was directed by M. Night Shyamalan. It was unlike his other movies in a lot of ways. The movie appears to have been written by an enlightened Christian. I saw it on television and I can't find it at blockbuster. They do sell it at best buy and online at amazon. But you might have better luck at your blockbuster.The ending was so awesome. It was the only movie that ever really moved me. You won't be disapointed.

Posts: 470 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Here is a movie review from movie-reviews.colossus.net

I hope it is not illegal to post this. I guess it is OK if I list the source. If it is illegal someone please let me know andI will delete the post.

Cast: Joseph Cross, Denis Leary, Dana Delany, Robert Loggia, Antoine McLean, Rosie O'Donnell
Director: M. Night Shyamalan
Screenplay: M. Night Shyamalan
Cinematography: Adam Holender
Music: Edmund Choi
U.S. Distributor: Miramax Films

In this age of cynicism, it's unusual to find a film like Wide Awake. The movie, brought to the screen by sophomore director M. Night Shyamalan, is Capra-esque in its outlook on life and death. And, while the ultimate result is somewhat uneven, there's no denying that Wide Awake contains its share of affecting moments, and the production as a whole offers enough solid drama and legitimate emotion to earn it a recommendation not only for adults, but for older children as well, who will relate to the protagonist and narrator. It's definitely a two hankie movie, though.

This is the second movie in the past year to tackle the subject of how a child copes with death. And, like 1997's Ponette, Wide Awake forces its main character to explore questions of religion and the afterlife. However, while Ponette used a documentary-like approach to depict a young girl's confusion and pain, Shyamalan's movie has a different agenda: presenting these issues within the framework of a modern-day fable. Watching Ponette was, at times, a grueling experience. The same is not true of Wide Awake, which leavens its serious moments with breaks of humor and lighter drama.

Joseph Cross is ten-year old Joshua Beal, a fifth-grader who attends a Catholic school for boys in suburban Philadelphia. Josh lives with his father (Denis Leary), mother (Dana Delany), and sister (Julia Stiles), but a key member of the family is absent. Josh's grandfather (Robert Loggia) recently died of bone marrow cancer, and his death has hit the young boy hard. The sudden void causes Josh, an extremely intelligent child, to begin questioning many aspects of life, truth, and religion. His quest for answers leads him to begin a year-long search for God.

The most obvious strength of Wide Awake is its appeal. The film creates likable characters who engage the audience, and the storyline addresses sensitive, emotionally-compelling issues without becoming cloying. At times, the movie is manipulative, but it's a gentle, rather than forced, approach. I was genuinely moved by the relationship between Josh and his grandfather. The credit for this can be sliced into three portions -- one to Shyamalan, who wrote and directed the scenes; one to neophyte actor Joseph Cross, who is believable as the precocious Josh; and one to Robert Loggia, who is subdued and amiable in a part that is, for him, atypical. Wide Awake contains other solid performances as well. Denis Leary submerges his outrageous personality to do a fine job as Josh's "normal" father. Likewise, Dana Delany exudes wholesomeness. Rosie O'Donnell has a small role as one of Josh's teachers -- a nun with a passion for the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.

Shyamalan has clearly matured since 1992, when he wrote, directed, produced, and starred in his debut feature, Praying with Anger. That film, about an American-born Indian making his first trip to India, was a clich�-riddled, uneven affair that showed flashes of promise. Wide Awake is a smoother, more polished movie with a less porous emotional texture, a better-realized story, and more fully-rounded characters. This is an example of a young film maker taking a step forward with his second film rather than falling victim to the so-called "sophomore jinx."

While it's true that the script for Wide Awake isn't all that ambitious, too often relies on the exposition of an overly-verbose narrator, and includes a few necessary contrivances, what makes the film special are the numerous individual moments that shine. And, although the dialogue is too sophisticated for the way children really talk, it is intelligent enough not to leave us shaking our heads in dismay and disbelief. I left Wide Awake feeling the same way I did after seeing a number of Frank Capra's movies -- I was aware of the problems, but that didn't diminish the warm, fuzzy glow I was experiencing.

� 1998 James Berardinelli

posted Hide Post
Eric, I don�t know if it�s technically legal or not to list those reviews, but I�ve done it often enough for Amazon.com reviews�and usually with a link to the product itself so I can�t see any harm because the very purpose of those reviews is to sell the product.

Here�s what the gang over at National Review Online recommends for movie watching this Easter, including a couple I have never heard of including Friendly Persuasion with Gary Cooper. Sounds interesting.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
The best Jesus movie I have ever seen was the Visual Bible: "Matthew".

Bruce Marchiano played Christ so well. That movie made me see Christ in a whole new light. It really brought out the sense of compassion that Jesus had.

I have not seen Friendly Persuasion. It looks interesting. I have really started enjoying older movies lately. I watched an old movie "Splendor in the Grass", with Natalie Wood in it and fell in love with her. I have since been hooked on older movies.

They didn't have all of the special effects like today. So they had to produce the movie with great acting and great story lines. Thanks for that tip.....

posted Hide Post
I�m been soaking up the old movies lately as well. And I fell in love with Audrey Hepburn in the process, but she�ll never take the place of Grace Kelly. Wink

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Ahh...yes. Audrey Hepburn. I have always liked her. I have always found something attractive in her eyes.

posted Hide Post
eric, I also enjoyed the Matthew film. I like a Jesus who smiles and laughs as much as he cries. Smiler

The scene where he cries in frustration as he chastises the Pharisees is unique.

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
He tried so hard to wake his people up. He did not want to give up on them. I loved the way Jesus would get so excited when he performed his miracles. I think he enjoyed performing the miracles as much as the people who recieved them. The ending left me feeling that Christ was such the victor!

posted Hide Post
I've heard about the movie Matthew, and it sounds intriguing. You two guys have sort of sealed the deal�but I couldn't find it at the video store. I'll try again sometime.

I like the idea of less starchy and dry portrayals of historical figures. I suppose one can go overboard, but isn't it likely that past film makers have already done so by trying to be too conservative, too pious and ultimately too dull and un-lifelike? I'm not saying that Jim Carrey should play Jesus, but the idea of a grinning, smiling Jesus doesn't bother me in the least. I suppose if he's ever played by John Cleese and does a silly walk through Jerusalem then you've know they've gone too far.

Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I just can't picture watching a movie with any other interpretation of Christ now.

BTW..I had to order this movie @ the Barnes & Noble website.