Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jesus Camp Login/Join

<w.c.>
posted
I'm not much for government regulations. For instance, even though I view spanking of children as abuse, the current CPS regulations, which allow for it short of infliction of bruising, are probably reasonable given the fairly high "E.Q." it takes to completely abandon that form of discipline; moreover, it would overwhelm the court system. All of that said, there just isn't much justification for spanking, nor the permitting of Pop Warner Football (contact/tackle football in full uniform of young children) or the disgusting display of child pageantry. My bone to pick is much smaller when government steps in to protect children, our elders, and the infirm.

This one's a movie in that vein, capturing the narcissistic, perhaps sociopathic Christian evangelical movement exploiting the hearts and minds of children. Hard to outlaw psychopathology when it isn't stringin' 'em up by their ears, but the damage is probably just as bad. With their parents obviously behind it all, one can only wait in some degree of horror as the kids grow into the fullness of the monstor-like caricatures they are rewarded for embracing.

So here's ya' a heapin' stinkin' slop of white trash straight from the skillet:

http://movies.go.com/movies/re..._2006&genre=&studio=

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0486358/

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess this sort of thing happens and it's not bad that a movie calls attention to its consequences. One only wishes for a few movies that show a healthy Christian faith making a positive difference in people's lives.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey,

Haven't seen the movie, but was wondering about your comments on spanking.

Do you think it is never okay to spank a child. I mean isn't all punishment in a sense damaging, yet you can't let kids do whatever they want. Also, young kids don't understand punishment other than spanking, because my son certainly doesn't listen when I tell him don't do that.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Jacques:

I've transferred our discussion about spanking to its own thread on the Christian Morality forum.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post