Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Book and Movie Reviews    Surrender: Appeasing Islam, Sacrificing Freedom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surrender: Appeasing Islam, Sacrificing Freedom Login/Join

Picture of Phil
posted
I haven't read this book yet but it was called to our attention on the Spiral Dynamics listserve, where a good review from the New York Times was cited:
- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07...e%20appeasers&st=cse

quote:
There is no more important issue facing the West than Islamism, Islamofascism or — to use yet another label — radical Islam. And there is no more necessary precondition to countering that threat than understanding it: where it springs from, how it is expressed and the ways in which it is spreading. But before we do any of that, we have to agree that the threat exists.

For the United States, the danger so far has taken the form of terror, as 9/11 so clearly demonstrated. In Europe, terror is real too, but a more insidious problem has now taken hold: many liberals and others on the European left are making common cause with radical Islam and then brazenly and bizarrely denying both the existence of that alliance and in fact the existence of any Islamist threat whatever.

It goes on . . .

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, Phil ... when I was growing up, we were told the great danger to the West was Communism. What actually happened, in the event, is that Communism burned itself out and turned out not to be a threat at all. So when I hear people warn that radical Islam or global warming or whatever is the next big threat, I take what they say with a pinch of salt. It's remarkably difficult to predict the future -- much more difficult than people think. If these "experts" could really predict what would turn out to be dangerous, they would have warned us all in advance about Collateralized Debt Obligations and Credit Default Swaps.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, I think your take on what happened to the USSR doesn't give U.S. policies during the Cold War period nearly enough credit for "burning out communism." Reagan, especially, upped the ante, and Gorbachev cried "uncle" when he saw they couldn't keep up. Going back further, if the U.S. and NATO hadn't beefed up security along the "iron curtain" the rest of Europe might well have been over=run.

Radical Islam: one need only research their stated goals and review their past terrorist activities to see the danger they pose. That they haven't done much since 9/11 is more a credit to interventions by many countries than the absence of a serious threat.

Global warming: I'll take my chances on that one. Wink

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post