Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Religulous," by Bill Maher Login/Join

Picture of Phil
posted
So we switched from cable to DISH as our tv services provider and got HBO free for 3 mos., during which time I got to see a few movies I'd never have rented, much less viewed on the big screen. One of these was "Religulous," which is on several times a week.

Maybe you haven't heard of Bill Maher? He's a comedian with a show on HBO and isn't too spectacular, imo -- the usual negative, cynical stuff with strong sexual content and a "let's-get-high" attitude that one finds among most comedians on the air these days. Maher stands out among the others, however, for his decidedly anti-religious bias, which he flaunts without apologies in "Religulous."

Truth be told, however, I enjoyed the movie. Most of the stuff he takes issue with is . . . well, ridiculous. Also, Maher is refreshingly un-pc, so he pulls no punches in his critique of Islam's misogynous and fundamentalistic tendencies, along with the story line in Mormonism and the legalism still prevalent among many Jews. He's also merciless in his bashing of fundamentalist Christians, who don't come off looking so good, proving Maher's point that the basic Christian story-line is just a fabrication that was accepted by gullible people who were stupid enough to die of it at the hands of first-century Romans.

Problem is, of course, Maher uses all these examples to prove his point that religion is naught but a bunch of hooey for weak, irrational people seeking a security blanket. Never mind that over 90% of the people on earth espouse a connection to one of the great religious traditions -- just goes to show how many fools there are. And, conveniently, Maher avoids talking to truly serious, educated religious people, who might have provided thoughtful answers to his questions. You can't burn straw men when you do that sort of thing, however. Hence, Maher's movie is itself a highly biased piece of work, right up there with the likes of Farenheit 911 and other hit-jobs by Michael Moore. Sincere Christians need not worry; the risen Christ has not yet been forced back into the tomb.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Interesting.. I think I heard of that movie, but that's all.

I know... too many people, including the religious ones do not have the proper understanding of the truth of the religions, and especially Christianity, in my opinion, and so they go ahead and believe stuff like that.

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post