Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Psychological Types and Spirituality    9. Inner Marriage, Inner Transformation

Moderators: JB, Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9. Inner Marriage, Inner Transformation Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Resources

A. Inner Marriage, Inner Transformation, by Jim and Tyra Arraj
http://www.innerexplorations.com/catpsy/2.htm

B. Type Development pdf file, pages 2 and 4
http://shalomplace.com/res/jungtypes.pdf

C. Anima and Animus - web page
http://www.lessons4living.com/anima_and_animus.htm

D. Moving Toward Wholeness
http://www.lessons4living.com/moving_towards_wholeness.htm

Discussion

These are good resources, and I would be only repeating what is said very well there if I tried to write something up on them. What I will suggest, then, is a way to study this lesson, and some points to note.

1. From page 2 of the Type Development file, note again that as one moves deeper into the unconscious, one encounters the "contra-sexual energies." If you are a male, this means you will encounter more the feminine side of your nature, which Jung called the Anima; vice versa for women, who will encounter their male side, or Animus.

2. To learn more about the qualities of the Anima and the Animus, see resource C, which also relates them to the Yin and Yang of Chinese metaphysics, respectively. This article also does a nice job of relating the encounter with contrasexual energies to midlife issues.

3. On to page 4 of the Type Development file. This is a good summary of the whole process of inner marriage. Note that the contrasexual energies are conveyed more through the 3rd and 4th functions, as these lie deeper in the unconscious. Note, too, the stages of this integration as reflected in one's dreams. Now we have another facet of what Individuation is about, but we note again that attachment to identity invested in the Primary and Auxiliary functions retards or skews integration in its refusal to deal with the contrasexual side of one's nature.

4. Yes, this is all kind of complicated, especially if one gets into dreams et al. But you can keep it simpler by focusing on integrating the 3rd and 4th functions. The contrasexual energies will more-or-less take care of themselves if you do so.

5. Read resource D, which is a short article and a good summary of the above. I especially liked the concluding quote:

quote:
Ultimately, midlife is taking you to a new and deeper level of meaning. What meaning will work for you? What is a truly workable meaning for life? Spiritual and psychological traditions all agree. It is to become a generative person. In the simplest language it mean to fully, "Love you neighbor as yourself." It is to follow the "Golden Rule." It is to Be of service to others. Midlife is taking you to your true Self and challenging you to the creative journey of making "That Which is Greater" manifest the world.

I think you can see the relevance to spirituality beginning to emerge. We will give more explicit attention to this later.

6. For a much deeper dig, read resource A. Some of it anticipates our next lesson on opposites attracting. Stay tuned . . .

Reflection / Discussion

- How do you experience the contrasexual energies in your daily life? In your dreams?

- What questions or comments do you have concerning this lesson?

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rachel
posted Hide Post
do people think that aspects of the anima/animus are culturally influenced? i am currently living in japan and women are tradiitonally expected to embody much more of the "ying" qualities. You really notice it as a female foreigner where we seem much more "masculine".

Posts: 5 | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Rachel, in Jung's view, the anima and animus are archetypal potentials in the unconscious. How these are developed consciously will be greatly influenced by culture, of course, with some cultures emphasizing some qualities more than others.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something on page two of the Anima and Animus article struck a chord with me. The article used the example of women moving into the workforce and taking on a more masculine stance in order to succeed, and that at midlife these women might need to integrate the feminine back into their lives.

I think this might be where I am at. I grew up as the youngest and only girl with two older brothers (4 and 9 years older). I had to act like "one of the boys" if I wanted to be included in any of their activities. My naturally feminine characteristics were put on a shelf. It has only been within the last several years that I have felt a need to embrace and nurture the feminine side of me.

I have done some dreamwork recently, but I don't always consider the men and women in my dreams in terms of anima and animus. I will try to pay more attention to that in the future.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 01 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post