Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jesus was an ESFJ ! Login/Join 
posted
Jesus was a Capricorn, but was He an ESFJ? an Enneagram 2?

There are some religious sects that have been turning out ESFJ�s based on research conducted utilizing MBTI personality testing. Critics of such groups and movements charge that leaders of these sects are 1) making members over after their own image, 2) controlling them in such a way that their personalities are changed to conform to the group norm and 3) argue that such personality changes are destructive psychologically and spiritually. Leaders of these groups claim that such research simply proves that Jesus was an ESFJ !

These are the ideas explored in __The Discipling Dilemma__ the Second Edition by Flavil R. Yeakley, Jr., Editor, Howard W. Norton, Don E. Vinzant and Gene Vinzant, which can be read here http://churches-of-christ.org/..._Discipling_Dilemma/

They write:
quote:
�In some religious sects, it is a fact that the observed changes presented a clear pattern of convergence in a single type: ESFJ. There was a strong tendency for introverts to become extraverts, for intuitors to become sensors, for thinkers to become feelers, and for perceivers to become judgers. The observed results indicate a dangerous falsification of type produced by some kind of group pressure.�
What do you think?

pax,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you think?

I�m not sure how much MBTI personality testing can really tell us about human beings in the here and now, let alone about someone from 2000 years ago who is the Son of God and who presumably hasn�t actually taken the test.

If there is pressure to conform, will people tend toward a certain outward personality type? Sure. It happens all the time. We do it ourselves every day. When we�re meeting with a group of business people we tend to dress and act more business-like. It seems pretty obvious to me that this happens and under the influence of perhaps a charismatic religions leader I imagine the results could be even more pronounced.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ESFJ's have the weakest development of logical, critical thinking, and so they are more easily swayed by emotional dynamics. Only, they aren't completely clueless, and feeling is a "rational function" according to Jung, quite capable of tuning in to what is good and wholesome--values which would seem to mitigate against mindless conformism.

As for Jesus being a Capricorn, I know that's tongue-in-cheek, JB, as you know we don't really know when Jesus was actually born. The Church gave him a birthday which just happened to coincide with the ancient feast of the Sun, Wink and so we have celebrated it on December 25 since.

MBTI and Enneagram authors I've read tend to emphasize that Jesus showed positive development in all the functions and numbers.

E.g. he could interact with people like an ESF, but he also needed his solitude and silence like an introvert. He made strong feeling connections, but was also capable of devastating logic in his arguments--espec. those in John's Gospel. He was here, now, attuned to the reality of the moment like a sensate, but his parables demonstrate kind of numinous creativity you find in Introverted Intuitives. Depending on where you look in the Gospels, and what examples you use, you could propose almost any MBTI type for Jesus.

Same goes for Enneagram, at least the way it was taught to me by Maria Beesing and Patrick O'Leary, authors of the first book on this topic for Christians. They devote a rather extensive section of their book to Jesus, as do a few other authors.

I think the point in the article you directed us to about how a group emphasizes a certain type, and how conformity with that kind of typological behavior is rewarded, is important. Even without cultic dynamics, this can be a problem. Most introverts, for example, just can't quite feel connected with the typical parish or congregation, where extraverted spiritualities emphasizing service, interpersonal sharing, and hospitality predominate. That's why some of us have gravitated to retreat centers! Wink

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB, I do find the topic of �Personality Types� that you referred to in the book review forum for �The Discipling Dilemma� to be particularly interesting. I think there�s no doubt that we all have certain personality characteristics and that when they get mislabeled as �good� or �bad� or if a person�s natural personality isn�t allowed to grow, then we run into all sorts of problems, including neuroses. It can be a simple as forcing a left-handed child to use his or her right hand. I�d be willing to bet that a huge percentage of our personal problems stem from this. Even as adults (particularly considering the influence of the media) our overarching desire is to act in certain ways other than our true selves. Could this be the cause of why society is going to hell in so many ways? Is this the psychological reason that people tend to choose violence instead of peace? I mean, it takes MUCH more energy to create disruption that it does to create calm. I think there are many people, Saddam Hussein included, that are playing out there screwed-up Personality Type maladaptations in very public ways.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For My Little Jung Catholics
(or how to lick your sacred wounds)

It was your extroversion
T�was the reason
I�ve been told
That set you on the path, my friend
To become a Maryknoll
And your introversion gifted you
As anyone could predict
With your inclination following
The Rule of Benedict
You set out as a Thomist
And time and time again
In the manner of your thinking
You were Dominican
Always guided by some values
A sense of social justice feeling
Is the likely explanation
Your were Jesuit in your dealing
Sacred coming through your senses
A recreation every dawn
Like the little friars minor
Your favorite feast
Was Christmas morn
Where you approached
The Incarnation
With a Zen-like intuition
In your cloistered monastery
Fully Trappist in tradition
How keenly in the Dark Night
His Presence there perceiving
Fired by urgent longings
On Carmel�s heights
Love�s wound receiving
Though you would not rush to closure
Your judgment never was retired
For where nothing�s been forbidden
Truly nothing�s been required
In a life that�s truly centered
On this one can depend
You can proceed in perfect joy
No boundaries to defend

johnboy
For the occasion of 16 July
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

posted Hide Post
Bravo! Smiler

I do believe there is correspondence between the types and the general charisms of the various religious orders, and I think you've named some of these very well.

You should get that one published.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jesus was an introverted extravert and an extraverted introvert.

Jesus was an active contemplative and a contemplative active.

Jesus was unquestioningly submissive to His Heavenly Father and oppositional towards the religious and worldly leaders.

Jesus minced no words when He spoke against the religious leaders but oozed with compassion for the sinner and the sick.

Jesus hid Himself when He didn't want to be caught but did not allow Himself to be protected or defended when it was time to be crucified.

Jesus prayed for His cup of suffering to be taken away but drank it with dignity and without complaints anyway, defiant of the worldly authorities to the end.

What sort of personality is that according to psychological classification?

Posts: 158 | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
REPORTING KUNDALINI BLOCK! THE FORUM IS NOT ACCESSIBLE FOR THE PAST 24 HOURS!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by priya:
[qb]REPORTING KUNDALINI BLOCK! THE FORUM IS NOT ACCESSIBLE FOR THE PAST 24 HOURS![/qb]
Click here to continue the discussion and find a link to restored material.

Phil

posted Hide Post
Jesus prayed for His cup of suffering to be taken away but drank it with dignity and without complaints anyway, defiant of the worldly authorities to the end.

What sort of personality is that according to psychological classification?

--------------------
priya
+++ +++ +++

Beautiful poem, Priya.

If the enneagram is a mandala, then Jesus might be the whole glimmering, shimmering, flashing, vibrating mandala/not mandala?

As far as personhoods go, I suppose Jesus was one Supreme Human Being!

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
Thank you JB for the compliment. Coming from you I feel truly flattered!