Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny: Life as Liturgy

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny: Life as Liturgy Login/Join 
posted
Ths Psalms capture the history of Israel.

The Psalms capture His Story, too.

The Psalms capture My Story, too.

The Psalms capture Mystery.

We invoke because we have been convoked.

The journey of each soul recapitulates the journey of the People of God.

The journeys of the great saints and mystics predict the journey of the Mystical Body, too, ontogeny predicting phylogeny.

As the glad psalms, sad psalms and mad psalms are our prayers, our lives, so, too, the entire Old Testament and New.

The first disciple, Mary, and her story as told in the Gospels, best illustrates our story, our invitation to be in relationship to the Father and Jesus and the Holy Breath in the same way. And so, we look for the Magnificats of our lives and we look for the Passions, too.

What are our Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful and Glorious Mysteries, individually and collectively?

As the Body of Christ, as a suffering and celebrating humanity, what twenty events of the 20th Century, would represent, for all of humankind, the Mystical Body, its Joyful, Sorrowful, Luminous and Glorious Mysteries?

Joyful-

Sorrowful
1 The Holocaust

Luminous
1 The Life of Thomas Merton

Glorious

And it may help to think in terms and analogies of the Rosary mysteries, but we needn't be limited to that.

I'll leave this here as an ongoing liturgy. Make your prayerful suggestions for our group meditation and celebration of Our Story, His Story, History, Mystery ...

pax, amor et bonum,
jb

The Lord is Our Shepherd
We lack nothing

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In defining humankind, why is it, you think, we must say that we are more than just a "rational animal"?

Why would that not capture us?

Because we are also pre-rational and nonrational in our faculties?

Yes, perhaps in part.

Moreso, however, because we are the Imago Dei and, created in the very image and likeness of God, we are in large measure comprised of a depth dimension.

Thus, each person we meet will be an inexhaustible and unfathomable mystery.

And that is the major impetus behind the virtue of fidelity, which allows us to remain in relationship to discover ever new and ever more compelling reasons to come together.

Kumbaya, sisters and brothers.
Kumbaya, my Lord.
Kumbaya,
jb

<w.c.>
posted
"We invoke because we have been convoked."

Sorry J.B., but that sounds painful . . . . .

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joyful-
1 The Marian Apparitions

Sorrowful
1 The Holocaust
2 The Existential Vacuum (Viktor Frankl)

Luminous
1 The Life of Thomas Merton

Glorious
1 The New Pentecost

When we look at humanity, we need a robust anthropology and psychology and an authentic humanism. We are radically social and inescapably in solitude, working to live fully in solidarity and compassion, and in celebrations of our unity in diversity, always against manifold and multiform forces of alienation.

The same way Maslow gifted psychology with a paradigm shift from one of pathology to one of holistic wholeness and health as exemplified in self-actualizers, our formative spiritualities must be grounded in a theological anthropology that is derived from the hagiographies of the great traditions. It is the best existential realizations that should inform our essentialistic possibilities and not, on one hand, imagined transcendence, or, otoh, unimaginable travesty. An accurate theological anthropology gifts us not only with a better theotics but also, because of the Imago Dei, good theology and Christology and pneumatology and a more accurate theodicy, too.

What is clear is that any good anthropology will recognize this essentialistic-existential chasm, let's say the s-x factor, which requires an initiative (justification) by a clearly Transcendent Reality, for we cannot deal with s-x on our own. What also becomes clear in the lives of the great saints and mystics is that our cooperation with grace (sanctification) can takes us places on the journey of transformation that the human social sciences can neither imagine nor conceive. For that vision we need lives of incredible holiness and the Arts. We need to tell Our Story, the whole story, luminous, joyful, glorious and sorrowful. How has your own personal story experienced same? What forces of alienation have you allowed to sweep you away and what manner of grace has always retrieved you from such poignantly painful aloneness? If you have ever cried out with the Psalmist from the depths of your heart, whether glad or sad or mad, is it not because you heard the vast chorus of human voices and simply joined their songs and dirges, their joys and lamentations? Do we all thus sing because He lived the life and lived the words and now we conform ourselves to His Image and Likeness? to His Word, His Way, His Truth and His Life?

deep peace,
jb

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
We invoke, because we have been convoked
To become yoked, and, hence, cowpokes
Who sit in the smoke, leaning on wagon's spokes.
No longer will toke, or tell dirty jokes
- They pray myst'ries now, that extol holy blokes.

(Sorry JB, just in some kinda mood, I guess! Wink ).

phylogeneticregression.com
(How about that one, mm? Smiler )

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presence in Performance Sacred Clown : Riding the Horse Backwards

This series of three weekend workshops is aimed at anyone who is at a crossroads in their personal or professional life, or would like the opportunity to welcome new perspectives or change. Examine the fool and the clown within yourself and to discover or re-discover the power of humour, storytelling, myth-making and play. Approach the serious subject of creating transformations you want in your life or work from a new angle. No previous knowledge of NLP necessary. We create a safe space for your learning.

The Sacred Clown trilogy

1: Elements of Change - New Directions

This weekend focuses on how to make holistic change and create dynamic solutions to old problems.

Spirit & Destiny Magazine.

'A brilliant way to expand minds, welcome new perspectives and have the courage to change. I thought it was fab.'

2: Awakening Spontaneity - Transforming Limiting Beliefs

Let go of what's holding you back and step elegantly onto the path of renewal and inventiveness.

'Highly evolved and actualised. Science, Spirituality and art are brought together and the NLP provides an excellent structure.' (Caroline Gowdy)

3: Resolving Conflict - Embracing Paradox

Release compassion and respect for self and others to promote effectiveness and well-being.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Something Rosie could do with no little help from the SPlace Clowns? Cool

Anecdote: I still recall the laughter that I evoked from my first grade teacher, Sr. Janita, when I exclaimed, for whatever reason: Holy Cow! She had never heard that expression before. And, 'til just now, I had never associated it with Hindu mythology --- rather, moreso with Westerns, like the pilot Phil wrote above.

Holy Smoke,
jb

posted Hide Post
quote:
We invoke, because we have been convoked
To become yoked, and, hence, cowpokes
Who sit in the smoke, leaning on wagon's spokes.
No longer will toke, or tell dirty jokes
- They pray myst'ries now, that extol holy blokes.
Now John, in all seriousness, you can�t blame me for THAT diversion, nor for the one from WC. If people simply CHOOSE to be of a light heart and spirited nature, don�t go blaming ME for another side-tracked thread.

Yours sincerely, and most phylogenically,

- Brother Nelson

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You called me John?

Stay your course, BN.

They love you.

I do, too.

Substantive engagements require/involve your levity and others' gravity and vice versa.

Meanwhile, I await such gravity as might properly engage this thread with the same levity as already has.

That's my cognitive thrust. If you want my affective thrust, well ... you'll have to wait a few days ... because ... when deeply wounded, I desist from engagement until the Spirit has a chance to properly and efficaciously lead me beyond my funky affective milieu ... ...

The depth of the pain of this latest cursory dismissal is too great for me to comment further ...

per ardua ad astra, indeed
jb

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty good, and somewhat "on-thread." Cool

(Brain's on a "break" from the CP and Ideas of God threads. This one looks good and is bookmarked for when I recover a bit.)

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] I thought it was pretty good
[/qb]
I thought it was pretty good, too ...

To be clear re: the depth of the pain ... I was being toopid ... should've put a winky Wink

Nevertheless, BN, the challenge has been issued ... as PSR claims to distinguish his contribution as "somewhat" on-thread
Razzer

But what is all of this about? I never read any potocol saying my postings had to be relevant to thread topics at Shalomplace. I don't participate in forums with those types of rules. Big Grin

Pleased to be easy.
Easy to please.
When I get it easy
I take it twice
jb

posted Hide Post
Nevertheless, BN, the challenge has been issued ... as PSR claims to distinguish his contribution as "somewhat" on-thread

I must say that I'm very impressed by PSR's skill with levity when he sets his funny bone firmly to the task. But to be able to do so while staying more or less on-topic is a real gift. Alas, unless one starts a thread titled "The art of throwing banana peels in the paths of unsuspecting people" then it's going to be difficult for me to do both. But there's always a first time�

Previously on Ontogeny Recapitulates Phylogeny, Johnboy said:
quote:
In defining humankind, why is it, you think, we must say that we are more than just a "rational animal"?

Why would that not capture us?

Because we are also pre-rational and nonrational in our faculties?

Yes, perhaps in part.

Moreso, however, because we are the Imago Dei and, created in the very image and likeness of God, we are in large measure comprised of a depth dimension.

Thus, each person we meet will be an inexhaustible and unfathomable mystery.
Please give me that depth dimension
The one that I heard you mention
Without it I'm shallow
And soft as marshmallow
I want forever's conventions

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW! Brad.

That's a VERY good Psalm!

no kidding!

deep peace (and depth) to you this day,
jb

posted Hide Post
The Ontogeny and Phylogeny of Luminal Pneumatology

We have all been filled with His Uncreated Eternal Light - when you confessed the Lord Jesus Christ and received the Holy Spirit - Your Heart became the Holy of Holies, the Ark of the New Covenant, the Tabernacle of His Presence,the Temple of the Holy Spirit - when you confessed Christ, God returned to His Temple - luminous, shining and utterly glorious with His presence -

Ezekiel 43:1-5

quote:

1Then the man brought me to the east gate. 2There I saw the glory of the God of Israel. He was coming from the east. His voice was like the roar of rushing waters. His glory made the land shine brightly.

3The vision I saw was like the one I had when he came to destroy the city. It was also like the visions I had seen by the Kebar River. I fell with my face toward the ground. 4The glory of the Lord entered the temple through the east gate. 5Then the Spirit lifted me up. He brought me into the inner courtyard. The glory of the Lord filled the temple.

This is what happened when you asked Jesus to come into your Life.

quote:

This gospel truth was beautifully typified by the Urim and the Thummin worn by Aaron on his breastplate - the literal meaning of which is, light and perfection. Such are all the true Israel of God. Christ, our great High Priest, bears them upon His breastplate within the veil [YOUR HEART, YOUR SPIRIT]; and thus borne upon His bosom, the blaze of ten million suns pales into darkness before the light and perfection of every believer, flowing from Christ Jesus, their Lord.

A River of pure Light is continously flowing out of you.

Ezekiel 47:1-6

quote:

The man brought me back to the entrance to the temple. I saw water flowing east from under a temple gateway. The temple faced east. The water was coming down from under the south side of the temple. It was flowing south of the altar.

2Then he brought me out through the north gate of the outer courtyard. He led me around the outside to the outer gate that faced east. The water was flowing from the south side of the east gate. 3Then the man went toward the east. He had a measuring line in his hand. He measured off 1,750 feet. He led me through water that was up to my ankles. 4Then he measured off another 1,750 feet. He led me through water that was up to my knees. Then he measured off another 1,750 feet. He led me through water that was up to my waist. 5Then he measured off another 1,750 feet. But now it was a river that I could not go across. The water had risen so high that it was deep enough to swim in. 6He asked me, "Son of man, do you see this?"

All Christians are shining Lights in the Kingdom and the saints who have died and crossed over can see it (that great cloud of witnesses in Hebrews 12), the angels can see it and the demons can see it and you are very dangerous to the satanic and the demoic realms because the Lord is using you to destroy the works of the devil.

Philippians 2:15,16a

quote:

Then you will be pure and without blame. You will be children of God without fault in a sinful and evil world. Among the people of the world you shine like stars in the heavens. 16You shine as you hold out to them the word of life.

You are the Light Bearers -people who have approached that unapproachable Light through the Cross and been filled with the Light of the World.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post