Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worship God Login/Join 
<Ron>
posted
Why does God need to be worshiped? If God does not, why does it matter than?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron...good question.

In my not always so humble opinion, God does not need anything from us...so why do I worship (and I really do by the way)?

I guess maybe because it is the only thing I can give Him directly and he has given me so much... is so much. There simply does not seem to be any other response.

Now if what you are asking is why go to church...well that's a bit of a different answer...for me anyhow.
Peace,
Wanda

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron.

Good needs to be worshipped to appease His power-hungry Ego.

Teasing. Wink

Worship, in the best sense of the term, means fellowship, honor, and even praise. These are ways of relating to God, even to loving God. God wants to be worshipped, in this sense, because God wants for us, God's creatures, to acknowledge our true nature as creatures in gratitude to the Creator. It is good and necessary that we do so, or else we forget who we are and who God is.

That's a start. Makes sense?

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend had this question and he just can't understand Frowner - since God is almighty and powerful and doesn't really need our worship to survive why does it matter then if we worship Him or not Confused Thanks for all the help. Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jk1962
posted Hide Post
Hi all.....good points all around. I just wanted to add that worshipping God is also for OUR benefit....not His necessarily. Although, I do believe that when we worship God, He does love the connection we have with Him then. Some folks seem to see God as a huge robotic creator that doesn't have emotions, but scripture seems clear that He does..He is, after all, our Creator and gave us emotions. Scripture also indicates that prayer and our complete relationship with God is to our best interest because when one becomes Christian, the whole concept of a "stranger in a strange land" becomes reality. Earth is not our "home" and we do become lonely and homesick, yearning for our return to Him and the land of the neverending day. By worshipping God, we have peace, assurance, hope, communion with Him...and are able to bear this time away from Him more readily.
Another thought on it is that scripture says God is a jealous God. Now granted, that sounds a bit controlling, but it actually isn't. He is the Creator, we are the creation. Like any parent, He wants us to have whole lives that are fulfilling and close to Him. One way this is accomplished is through worship.
I'm not sure if your friend is talking about worship like going to church or worship as a state of mind. But, for me personally, worship is my state of mind...going to church is just the formal expression of it and a time of fellowship with my "brothers and sisters" in Him.
Just my own 2 cents worth there.

Terri

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terri

Great point you made there. The same thought went through my head, only you expressed it so powerfully. Yes we do ourselves a favour by worshipping God. He doesn't need it. He has legions of angels and heavenly creatures already doing that and they worship God because they KNOW that God is worthy of worship.

Isn't it amusing that human beings have absolutely no difficulty worshipping human beings who excel in sports, entertainment, science or whatever else, but they find it insulting to their egos to worship God?

The only thing God longs for is our love and when we love Him, we would get to know Him a little bit and when we get to know Him even a little bit, we would know that awe and worship is the natural response of our soul to God's Almighty power and His infinite love.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jk1962
posted Hide Post
Hi priya Smiler
I so agree with you about the worshipping of humans and the puzzlement over it. Sometimes I think maybe it's our fault that people are hesitant to know God and worship Him...perhaps we fail in our example of His love. A beloved monk friend of mine, who unfortunately (well it was to his benefit, but loss to me here on earth Wink ) passed away last year, made a statement that I find to ring true. He said that if we, as Christians, would bring the love of Jesus up out of the Book, bring His love alive rather than leave Him as black ink on white paper, then the world would literally run to meet Him and fall on their face in worship. For His love released, is a love that draws and beckons us to His feet...to understand that He is the ONE True Love of all. I thought that was probably one of the most profound statements I'd ever heard...and..I think he's right. Praise God for His infinite mercy and consuming Love.

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post