Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Western Spiritual Approaches and the Unconscious

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Spiritual Approaches and the Unconscious Login/Join 
posted
I have been wondering if western spiritual approaches are superior at contacting and healing the unconscious compared to Buddhist and yogic approaches.
In my experience, eastern approaches tend to be very conscious practices. You are doing X practice to get to state Y.
Whereas western approaches seem to have one surrender to their experience, inquire(because the mind isn't the enemy) and struggle with psychological passions that are true for the individual.

I'm wondering if this is why I'm hearing about all these kundalini awakening experiences in western contemplatives that take some yogis decades to make way for. Or the Unloading of the unconscious, of which, I've heard little like this in the east.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 03 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like that observation: the mind is not the enemy. And I see your point about the West's approach being more accepting of unconscious mind, and therefore maybe more effective in loosening one's unholy attachments and identifications. Can't say I have a clue about how knowledge and surrender of unconscious aspects of self may promote k. awakenings more so than Eastern yogis whose focussed intent is awakening. That would be an interesting study.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is known that with any meditative/prayerful path, much repressed material may surface initially. But to the extent that I've heard this happen to CP practitioners makes me think that there may be something else accomplished in Sufi and Christian inner approaches that may not occur in the east so much.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 03 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post