Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Dealing with lack of chastity the buddhist way

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing with lack of chastity the buddhist way Login/Join 
posted
I have struggled a few times with this but fall into it after a while. Recently, influenced by Buddhist thought/writings I decided to do it in what seems an unchristian way of dealing with sin. I accepted my sinning self. I sort of looked at myself in my mind without shame and accepted my need or whatever yearning was driving me as ok and that I was ok and let that moment go. So I was not accepting to do it again but neither making acts/thoughts of shame about it. The strange thing is that seems to have dissolved it. so I see myself with compassion but not shame and that seems to somehow dissolve the temptation or the strength in it by lightly letting it go without too much focus or condemnation. So is this compatible with the idea of repenting? Is this compatible with being sorry for sins? I feel if I make strong acts of "that was bad, why did I do that?" it only goes away for a while. But if I do what I did, I let it go easier. And when it comes back again, I just notice it, notice my need/yearning, reaffirm that it does not make me evil and let it go again.

Posts: 81 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 22 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Welcome, St. Rubia. I see you've posted on another discussion as well and I'll eventually get around to that one. Hopefully, someone else will chime in as well.

I don't know if your approach is "the Buddhist way." They certainly stress moral behavior, and encourage changing one's behavior when it's out of line. In fact, the only difference between the Buddhist and Christian approaches would be that the Christian believes that God's forgiveness can help one let go of the guilt and (sometimes) shame that' often a consequence of immoral behavior. Both traditions would emphasize making a distinction between judging the person versus the behavior. It seems that the awareness exercise you're doing is helping you to make that distinction and avoid self-judgment. But if you're a practicing Christian, it would also be important to express to God your sin and regret at doing so while resolving to sin no more.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post