New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sacrifice is a virtue Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
SACRIFICE IS A VIRTUE

It entails action freely chosen to put off something desired now for a greater good to be realized in the future. As such, it is an expression of love, whether for oneself, others, or the creation. Sacrifice is informed by reason and executed by a will that does not allow impulsivity, sentimentality or other temptations to sabotage its goal.

Examples:
- Setting aside a little money each month for retirement.
- Waking up a few minutes earlier than you'd like each morning to take time for prayer.
- Turning off the TV to have a visit with family or friends.

In this day, it seems the most difficult sacrifices are:
- Wearing a mask despite the discomfort to help reduce the spread of coronavirus.
- Not allowing family/friends to come for a visit in your home if they haven't been tested or aren't sure if they've exposed to the virus (or requiring them to wear masks if they come).
- And many more.

We give up a short-term reward for a long-term gain!

I want to live through this time, to see my children and grandchildren grow through the years, to do more writing, to journey with spiritual directees, to plant more gardens, watch more birds, cook more gumbos. If I am willing to make sacrifices for the sake of my health, I have a better chance to realize this kind of future. And if it means saying "no" to a few activities that people invite me to join in with, but which seem unsafe to me, no offense intended. I'll get back to you at a later date . . .

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post