Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Philotheism: Blog by Phil St. Romain  Hop To Forums  Philotheism: Phil's Blog    The Eagle on the utility post, and other good news
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Eagle on the utility post, and other good news Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Earlier this week, I spent the morning at a local state park, driving around awhile, then taking a long walk in the cold and wind, looking for birds. Yes, I'm an avid bird-watcher, or birder, as we prefer to be called. The trip was only mildly fruitful, with a few decent sightings, but nothing of what I'd expected to find. You can view the results of it via the link below, which includes a few pictures:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98583960

Arriving at a suburb near our home, I decided to check out a few small ponds that were often resting places for waterfowl. There were quite a few species in one, some of them uncommon. I tallied them on my list and took a few pictures, then headed back to my van, which was parked a short distance away. Upon returning to it, I noticed a large bird sitting top the utility post right by the pond I'd been perusing.
-- It was a Bald Eagle! Whatever . . . !! Big Grin

Driving out of the parking lot, I noticed two men mulching trees close by, so I pulled up close to them.

"What is it?" one asked in annoyance.

"Would you like to see a Bald Eagle?" I asked.

"What?!!" he replied, suspiciously.

"Look," I pointed to the post, and handed him my binoculars.

"Well, I'll be!" he exclaimed, all smiles. He looked awhile and handed the binocs to the other man, who couldn't believe it, either.

When they'd seen enough, they returned the binocs and thanked me for stopping by. Not often a bird sighting can make someone's day, but I think that one just might have.

See https://ebird.org/checklist/S98592122 for waterfowl and eagle pictures.

Reflecting on this incident later, I noted how happy it had made me feel to share the eagle sighting with those two men. I wouldn't have considered stopping if it had been an ordinary hawk species, but Bald Eagles are iconic, and you don't really expect to see them on a post in your neighborhood. I was excited, and felt like telling others about it. I even called the local city hall to report it in case others might be interested.

The two workers expected trouble when I stopped, but were smiling when I left. They knew they'd seen something special, and appreciated the time I took to show them.

Good news needs to be shared, it seems. I've noted that at other times in my life about other incidents: the birth of a child, for example, or publication of a book, or the blessings from a retreat.

It's important to be on the lookout for good news. I almost didn't check out the large bird on the utility pole, thinking it would almost certainly be just another Red-tailed Hawk.

The good news of Christ, especially, is constantly breaking into our lives. Where do you notice this happening these days?

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post