Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Philotheism: Blog by Phil St. Romain  Hop To Forums  Philotheism: Phil's Blog    Best homemade bread ever: whole wheat, rye, oats
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best homemade bread ever: whole wheat, rye, oats Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
One of my hobbies is cooking up interesting meals, often using recipes that I "invent." My family has jotted down dozens of these in a notebook (mercifully ignoring the losers). During the past year, I have been experimenting with breads, including sourdough, hoping to come up with one that has low sodium, high fiber, decent protein, good taste and moist consistency. You can't buy all that in a loaf at the store, nor can you hope to produce it in a bread machine (I quickly learned). Sourdough approaches are difficult as well, though interesting. But I think I've finally come upon a recipe and process that is simple and takes less than 4 hours, from beginning to end. Result is a 2 lb. loaf.

INGREDIENTS
- Yeast - Rapid Rise preferred, but not necessary
- Water - I use tap, as ours is good, but distilled might be necessary is some places
- Oil - I use olive oil, but other kinds are fine
- Salt - Morton Lite Salt, 50% less sodium. Taste is very good. Use regular salt if you're not concerned about sodium.
- Molasses - Grandma's; other brands would work, as would cane syrup, or brown sugar.
- White flour - unbleached; bread machine flour will also do
- Rye flour - any kind, if you can find it
- Oats - quick oats preferred
- Whole wheat flour - strongly recommend Bob's Red Mill 100% stone ground as it's higher in fiber and protein than other whole wheat flours, and just seems to make better bread. If you can't find it, use whatever whole wheat flour is available.

THE PROCESS
English measurements, not metric. Be sure to distinguish between tbsp (tablespoon) and tsp (teaspoon).

- Mix 1 cup white flour with 2 cups warm water, 2 tbsp molasses, 2 tsp yeast and allow yeast to begin fermenting -- about 15 min. You will see bubbling in the mixture.

- Add 1.5 tsp salt, 2 tbsp olive oil into flour/yeast mixture and stir.

- Add 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup rye flour, 1/2 cup quick oats. Stir mixture for about five min. and cover (I use seal wrap, but a clean, wet cloth will do)

- Stir for 3 min. every 15 min. or so for 1st hour, stretching the dough to release gluten. Cover after stirring.

- Allow to rise for an hour, or until doubles in size. Place in warm oven (no hotter than 160 F) to give it a boost, if necessary.

- Punch down and add enough flour to knead and stretch on board about 5 min.

- Shape into loaf and place in oiled (spray OK) loaf pan; bake at 350 F for 45 min.

- Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for 10 min. before slicing, unless you just can't wait to have some with butter (I never can).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Phil,

Imagebest_bread.jpg (127 Kb, 98 downloads)

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post