Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Health and Wellness Issues    SSRI antidepressants linked with violence
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SSRI antidepressants linked with violence Login/Join

posted
I had a personal experience with becoming uncharacteristically violent on Celexa, a clone of Prozac, one of the SSRI antidepressants. Last year, I was devastated by the break-up of my family and became clinically depressed. A few days into Celexa and I became very agitated but attributed it to the terrible pain of the divorce process...which left me in complete helpless shambles. Though I was angry, hurt, and humiliated by external events, and I do take responsibility for my behavior, I can also see that this drug may literally, in a sense, have pushed me over the edge.

When early reports of Prozac came out linking it with increased suicide, more violent suicides, and violent outbursts, the drug company wanted to blame it on the sick patients. However, more controlled studies have come in linking violence with SSRI treatment. The problem seems worse with children and teenagers, and starting, switching, and terminating the drugs appear to be the most dangerous times.

http://www.healthcarerepublic....d-violent-behaviour/

http://www.ahrp.org/infomail/03/08/22.php

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=20073

http://www.drugawareness.org/A...aneous/MRspiral.html

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your painful experience, Shasha. I hope you're doing better now.

And thanks for the heads-up on this drug. You just never really know how one's physiology will get along with any drug. Sounds like this was a very bad mix for you.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil. I'm doing much better. I got off the meds right away. It's been 30 months since that crisis. Time doesn't really heal, by itself. But some psychotherapy, spiritual direction, and on-going prayer from friends helps the healing process. And I think grief from divorce is simply a different creature than a "biological depression." Who knows...we have so much to learn about the body/mind/spirit.

It is amazing to realize how much who I am is, at least partially, determined by my physiology...humbling really...

much peace to you,
Shasha

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes indeed, biochemistry has a huge influence on one's state of consciousness. That's why diet is such an important consideration in so many spiritualities.

Divorce . . . worse than death of a loved one, from what I've seen in family, friends, and directees. In a way, it reveals something of the profundity of the marriage union -- how the two do become one at a very deep level. Even when it's the right thing to do, it seems as though one is literally torn asunder and deeply wounded.

Blessings, Shasha, and thanks for your many excellent contributions here.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<HeartPrayer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
It is amazing to realize how much who I am is, at least partially, determined by my physiology...humbling really...
I definitely second that!

Blessings on your Path, Shasha.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, HeartPrayer.

Blessings to you too! Smiler